Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Are SPDs worth the extra money?

Started by mark.donnelly · · Last activity · 20 posts · 1,914 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 August 2010
Last activity
17 August 2010
Original author
mark.donnelly
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,914
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Howdy,

    I currently use toe clips but I was wondering if SPDs, or cleats, are worth the extra money. Do you really feel the difference?

    Mark

  2. "Worth" depends on what type of riding you do and what you hope to gain from a clipless pedal system. Yes, they feel different than just riding in toe clips.

  3. Yes.

  4. Scotty_Dog said:

    "Worth" depends on what type of riding you do and what you hope to gain from a clipless pedal system. Yes, they feel different than just riding in toe clips.

    I cycle a few times a week, doing roughly 70-80km. And I partake in a few events as well every now and then. I would want to gain a better efficiency during by using them so I can go further.

  5. I never detected a great increase in efficiency, but I can pretty much use up all my cardio capacity during a steady cruise without resorting to lifting. They mostly help keep your feet in place when you roll over rough stuff and they also help you sprint or climb over obstacles.

  6. If you have a good pair of cycling shoes that you are currently using with your toe clip style pedals that you're happy with, then I would say you should wait until they need replacing before you change over to clipless.

    But, if you are unhappy with your current shoes or pedals, then yes, I think you should explore clipless pedals and shoes, if for no other reason than you will have more shoes and pedals to choose from. You may or may not see a performance improvement.

    Be advised that if you decide to try clipless, that there are several different systems that perform very well and you should take a look at all of them to determine which will fit your riding style and budget.

  7. mark.donnelly said:

    Howdy,

    I currently use toe clips but I was wondering if SPDs, or cleats, are worth the extra money. Do you really feel the difference?

    Mark

    Compared to what? Flat platform pedals, gigantic improvement. Toeclips without cleats, also gigantic improvement; this setup does little more than keep your feet on the pedals and out of the front wheel. Toeclips with stiff cycling shoes and cleats, marginal difference in performance, gigantic improvement in comfort and convenience.

  8. mark.donnelly said:

    Howdy,

    I currently use toe clips but I was wondering if SPDs, or cleats, are worth the extra money. Do you really feel the difference?

    Mark


    cycling shoes in combination with cleats is a huge improvement.

  9. IMHO, the biggest benefit from clipless pedals (such as SPD's) is that they make you (or at least me) feel connected to the bike. This is a great benefit in terms of handling and braking, as well as when climbing and sprinting.

  10. Definitely great for climbing.

  11. Definite enhancement for me. I made the switch after I was cinching down so hard on my clip straps that I couldn't get my foot out of the pedal.

    You probably already know the benefits of adding pull to your pedal stroke since you use clips. With clipless you can pull or push anywhere around the circle that you want with full power. You can use different muscle groups when others are burned out - mix things up a bit. To some extent you can do that with clips, but not 100%. When you get your straps tight enough to get that kind of connection with your pedals, then you're stuck unless you reach down to release tension on the strap.

    I held out for long time, but nothing like clipless pedals and a very stiff cycling shoe.

  12. mark.donnelly said:

    Howdy,

    I currently use toe clips but I was wondering if SPDs, or cleats, are worth the extra money. Do you really feel the difference?

    Mark

    have you been in a coma for the last 20 years and waking up now in year 2010 🙂 ?
    p.s. for commuting plain pedals are ok

  13. sitzmark said:

    Definite enhancement for me. I made the switch after I was cinching down so hard on my clip straps that I couldn't get my foot out of the pedal.

    You probably already know the benefits of adding pull to your pedal stroke since you use clips. With clipless you can pull or push anywhere around the circle that you want with full power. You can use different muscle groups when others are burned out - mix things up a bit. To some extent you can do that with clips, but not 100%. When you get your straps tight enough to get that kind of connection with your pedals, then you're stuck unless you reach down to release tension on the strap.

    I held out for long time, but nothing like clipless pedals and a very stiff cycling shoe.

    That sounds about right. +1

  14. vspa said:

    have you been in a coma for the last 20 years and waking up now in year 2010 🙂 ?
    p.s. for commuting plain pedals are ok

    What if you commute 30 miles?

  15. on my commuter bike i have this shimano pedals with SPD on one side and a flat-teeth platform on the other side, yes for 30 miles commuting maybe it would be worth to change your shoes, but this pedals keep your options open

  16. So, I guess that means we'll have to say that the appropriate pedals depend on the nature of the commute. Eh, that's close, but it'd be better yet to say that the appropriate pedals depend on what the rider wants and needs (as he or she views such things).

  17. +1 on this. I agree completely.

    oldbobcat said:

    Compared to what? Flat platform pedals, gigantic improvement. Toeclips without cleats, also gigantic improvement; this setup does little more than keep your feet on the pedals and out of the front wheel. Toeclips with stiff cycling shoes and cleats, marginal difference in performance, gigantic improvement in comfort and convenience.

  18. vspa said:

    on my commuter bike i have this shimano pedals with SPD on one side and a flat-teeth platform on the other side, yes for 30 miles commuting maybe it would be worth to change your shoes, but this pedals keep your options open

    What is the model of your pedals? They seem to be the best option for me.

  19. Shimano SPD Pedals M-324 - Excel Sports

    Shimano M-324

    hope they are what you are looking for !
    i have used both sides of the platform extensively without any troubles,

  20. I started using clipless on my road bikes. I liked the feeling and control so much that I added them to my mt. bike.

    I actually commute on my mt. bike and use these pedals:

    Shimano SPD Pedals M-520 - Excel Sports

    Clipping in and out is very easy with them (by comparison to the Look Keo's I have on my road bike). I highly recommend going clipless for all the reasons stated in this thread. They definitely enhance the "feel" of the road.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.