Felt,
When my legs close up like that, the miracle elixer seems to be riding easy for about an hour and mixing in some high cadence work and accelerations. This serves to "open" the legs and get me ready for upcoming efforts. I don't think I would try a 2x20 session with dead legs, but I know that bull-headed feeling of wanting to work through a training session no matter what!
.....
So, I told you guys that I was testing this week. . . . good test for me! I tested my 5min power and put up 107% of my previous best! I also tested my 20min number on the same day to get an estimate of my FTP (no 1hr TT for me in January!!!), and I also recorded my best effort, putting up a 10W increase, or 105% of previous best!
Anyway, I thought I'd share because I am really proud of that. I am not really surprised because I have been feeling very good, but it is nice to have some raw numbers to back that up. It was also a nice feeling to dig really deep in a test and know that I had given my all (doable in a race, harder on a trainer!!). I don't think I had one more pedal stroke left in me after my 20min test, and the whole experience left me pretty shattered, but happy :-)
. . . but now my workouts have to get harder, so I may be regretting my testing effort pretty soon when I suffer to get through my 5min VO2 intervals!!!!