Well, the Gruaniad asked several people, one of whom was John Snow.
"Jon Snow, newsreader I'm looking for nobblier tyres for my bicycle - I cycle to work every day. And
I shall also be looking for an extra layer of clothing. I haven't yet decided whether to go for
longjohns and a vest, or extra layers on top. I could get the old silk ski gloves out but I'll
probably just rely on my Spitfire scarf. Will I be eating porridge? I love porridge. Let's think
about that ... No, I won't cycle far enough to burn it off. Here in the Channel 4 offices we are so
far below ground that it could be high summer and we wouldn't even know it. It certainly won't be as
bad as the coldest weather I ever encountered - during Reagan's inauguration in January 1985, when I
had to borrow my partner's tights."
From: guardian.co.uk0,2763,1131869,00.htmlOpen ↗
For what it's worth we've had snow up here in Co. Durham on and off for the whole of January:
Colin
--