General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Argos Tent: Altitude Record Claim!

Started by Jim Ford · · Last activity · 17 posts · 1,138 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 July 2004
Last activity
1 August 2004
Original author
Jim Ford
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,138
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi.

    I've just got back from The Cairngorms and wish to register with the 'Argos
    Tent Committee', my claim for the Altitude Record - 4005 feet at the Wells
    of Dee on the Braeriach Plateau. I offer as evidence the following
    photographs:

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/wells_of_dee/wells_of_dee1.jpg
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/wells_of_dee/wells_of_dee2.jpg

    (Views looking East across An Garbh Choire to Ben Macdui. Braeriach summit on
    left.)

    When I bought the tent last year, I was sufficiently impressed by the design
    and build quality to consider using it for some serious high-level camping.
    I used my Khayam Highlander tent as a base at the Rothiemurchus Campsite at
    Coylum Bridge (highly recommended - fabulous new toilet/shower block) and
    after a few days pottering arround Rothiemurchus, set out down Glen Einich
    with the Argos tent. I don't really like the long Land-Rover track down the
    Glen - it's a weary slog, but at the head of the Glen the path climbs to a
    good 2700 feet corrie (Dhondail - NN922982), where I spent the night. The
    following day, I took the stalkers path out of the the corrie, onto the
    Braeriach Plateau, setting up camp between the Wells of Dee and the Falls of
    Dee (NN941992 4005 feet - just 250 feet below the Braeriach Summit). The
    temperature was 9 degrees C and the wind 30-40 mph gusting 50. It's a great
    site - clean water and wonderful views. I've camped there a couple of times
    before. Best of all, it's great to have the place to yourself from about 4
    in the afternoon to 10 in the morning the next day! After 2 nights at the
    Wells, I set of back to Coylum Bridge via Sron na Lairige, into the Larig
    Ghru at Lurcher's Crag and then the weary slog through the seeming endless
    Rothiemurchus pine forest.

    The Tent:
    Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
    designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
    forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.

    Regards: Jim Ford

  2. "Jim Ford" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi.

    I've just got back from The Cairngorms and wish to register with the


    'Argos

    Quoted message said:

    Tent Committee', my claim for the Altitude Record - 4005 feet at the Wells
    of Dee on the Braeriach Plateau. I offer as evidence the following
    photographs:

    Tops my four Argos high camps

    Loch Coirre Cheap, just below Geal Charn on the Aonach Beag Ridge, 820m
    Coirre Brochain below Braeriach, 1000m
    Between Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm, 1020m
    Summit of An Socach at the west end of Loch Mullardoch, 1069m
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/other/sc.jpg

    regarsd
    Stuart
    Interactive Munro Map ... http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/munros/

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    The Tent:
    Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
    designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
    forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.

    The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
    things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
    anything.

    'Cos the tent's no longer offered on their website, and apparently it's
    not in the new catalogue either. I grabbed one when they were twenty
    quid a while ago. Not actually used it yet, but it's there if I need it!

  4. The message <[email hidden]>
    from David Skinner <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:

    The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
    things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
    anything.

    They came from China. :-) Pro Action could be just an Argos brand name.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 39 summits
    New - 22 (Marilyns 8, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 11)
    Repeats - 17( Marilyns 6, Sweats 12, Wainwrights 11)
    Knackered knee - 4 times

  5. On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:18:40 +0100, Roger <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The message <[email hidden]>
    from David Skinner <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:

    The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
    things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
    anything.

    They came from China. :-) Pro Action could be just an Argos brand name.

    When I bought mine couple of weeks ago, there was a slip of paper in
    the packaging that said (as far as I can recall) "Tiger Paw".
    However, when I Googled for that name, I could find nothing that
    seemed relevant.

    Norman Tulloch

  6. "Jim Ford" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    The Tent:
    Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
    designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
    forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.

    Regards: Jim Ford

    Excellent photos!! This is a £15 tent folks. Fifteen pounds. Fifteen!
    Just fifteen. One and five.

    Pounds.

    Just slightly more than a CD.

    £15.

    How DO they do it?

    Marvelling regards,

    Ian.

    --
    Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

  7. Ian Dainty said:

    Just slightly more than a CD.

    £15.

    That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  8. "Ian Dainty" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Jim Ford" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    The Tent:
    Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
    designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
    forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.

    Regards: Jim Ford

    Excellent photos!! This is a £15 tent folks. Fifteen pounds. Fifteen!
    Just fifteen. One and five.

    Pounds.

    Just slightly more than a CD.

    £15.

    How DO they do it?

    they burn some music onto a plastic disc at a cost of 2p then add £14.98
    profit!

  9. Paul Rooney wrote on Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:17:06 +0100....

    Quoted message said:
    Ian Dainty said:

    Just slightly more than a CD.

    £15.

    That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

    Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    --
    Tim Jackson
    [email hidden]
    (Change '.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct)
    Absurd patents: visit http://www.patent.freeserve.co.uk

  10. Tim Jackson said:

    Paul Rooney wrote on Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:17:06 +0100....

    Quoted message said:
    Ian Dainty said:

    Just slightly more than a CD.

    £15.

    That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

    Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    Too?

    Nah, they're all home-produced!

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  11. "Paul Rooney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    Too?

    Nah, they're all home-produced!

    I'm appalled. You are killing the music industry you know.

    Snotty regards,

    Ian.

    ps. Isn't Shrek 2 great! Watched it last night on bootleg DVD.

    --
    Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

  12. "Stuart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How DO they do it?

    they burn some music onto a plastic disc at a cost of 2p then add £14.98
    profit!

    Haha! I suppose a leetle has to go to the artist. After all Robbie
    Williams trousered £40 million on signing to EMI. That is serious
    dosh.

    Ian.

    ps Walking/Argos/GPS - there, nicely back on topic.

    --
    Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

  13. Ian Dainty said:

    "Paul Rooney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    Too?

    Nah, they're all home-produced!

    I'm appalled. You are killing the music industry you know.

    Snotty regards,

    Ian.

    ps. Isn't Shrek 2 great! Watched it last night on bootleg DVD.

    Not yet seen it - £6 locally though!

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  14. Quoted message said:

    The Tent:
    Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well

    The tent can indeed stand a high wind. I've used mine in winter,
    camping by the CIC hut, where the winds speeds were very high. (not
    quite crawling, but a very low crouch was necessary) The tent took the
    winds side on, and was strained but still provided a good night, once
    the guy cord pegs had been replaced by stronger anchors.

    Also friends of mine (who I heard about the tent from) used their
    tents on a four week caving expedition to remote parts of the Balkar
    mountains in Turkey. The tents performed admirably for them as well.

    It definitely is a very good for money mountain tent, but as mentioned
    before it probably won't stand up to the worst the mountains can
    produce -- but close.

    mehmet

  15. Ian Dainty <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Paul Rooney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    Too?

    Nah, they're all home-produced!

    I'm appalled. You are killing the music industry you know.

    Snotty regards,

    Ian.

    ps. Isn't Shrek 2 great! Watched it last night on bootleg DVD.


    Watched Shrek on an American Airlines 767 last December.
    Strictly an airline movie by my standards.....
    --
    Gordon

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, Roger
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    The message <[email hidden]>
    from David Skinner <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:

    The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
    things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
    anything.

    They came from China. :-) Pro Action could be just an Argos brand name.


    There has been an NG drift! We had a get together of URFG
    uk.rec.fishing.game at Cwellyn this week end and lo and behold one Pro
    Action tent appeared.

    To be fair the owner heard about the tent in URW some time ago.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  17. In article <[email hidden]>, Tim Jackson
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

    Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    of course they do
    C hinese D iscs
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.