Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Argus Rear Cassette Advice

Started by neilHH · · Last activity · 7 posts · 3,959 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
6 February 2006
Last activity
25 September 2006
Original author
neilHH
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,959
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone experienced enough to help an Argus novice? I'm wondering if a "standard" 12/25 rear cassette is sufficient for this race? Not too sure how steep the hills are!
    Thanks

  2. neilHH said:

    Anyone experienced enough to help an Argus novice? I'm wondering if a "standard" 12/25 rear cassette is sufficient for this race? Not too sure how steep the hills are!
    Thanks

    Hey, I'm 44 and done one Argus. On the basis of this, I've changed my cluster to 12/28 (I ride a Giant OCR1) so I can maintain an ave 12k/hr up the steepest (Smitswinkel, Chappies and Suikerbossie) without going anaerobic.

    Hope this helps. Best of luck with your maiden.

  3. Thanks for the advice - being on the wrong side of 35 does warrant a little assistance up the hills!

  4. neilHH said:

    Anyone experienced enough to help an Argus novice? I'm wondering if a "standard" 12/25 rear cassette is sufficient for this race? Not too sure how steep the hills are!
    Thanks


    neilHH - Feel free to use any cassette you want to.

    The hills that the Argus Cycle Tour goes over are not that bad.

  5. Argus Cycle Tour are not that bad...so....😎

    educationdegree.neteducationdegree.net
    flighttoeurope.netflighttoeurope.net

  6. the question should be do you live in Cape Town, if yes then ride the gears you've got on you're bike now, I've ridden the Giro de Capo a few time and there are no real major hills (the argus is the giros last day). 39x25 should get you up any of those hills. But it depends on your level of fitness etc. If you'd like to discuss the route gears or any info I'm more than happy to help. A quick back ground of my cycling is I was a Pro/Elite international rider for 10 plus years, so I've got a good knowlege of cycling of SA Namibia and Europe. Check out my lastest test www.challengea2z.com My email is [email hidden]

  7. From your question your concern seems to be the hills 🙂

    Well I have used a 12/27 rear cluster and it was overkill for all the hills.

    Most importantly the easier the gear the lesser the impact on the knees especially when on the wrong side of 40 🙄

    Your 12/25 combo assuming you are using 52 tooth chain ring will be ample - easy going ride.

    Will be doing my seventh Argus in 2007

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.