armadillo tires

saturnsc2

Jul 14, 2004
i have not posted here in a while. how is everybody doing? anyway, i bought these armadillo specialized tires for my bike about a year & a half ago. so far no flats & i rode over so much glass it's not funny! just last week i had a piece of sharp glass lodged in the outer rubber tread of the tire & i was riding on it for a while & it didn't go through! god l love these tires! i highly recommend them for people who ride in flat prone areas with lots of debris..

saturnsc2 said:
i have not posted here in a while. how is everybody doing? anyway, i bought these armadillo specialized tires for my bike about a year & a half ago. so far no flats & i rode over so much glass it's not funny! just last week i had a piece of sharp glass lodged in the outer rubber tread of the tire & i was riding on it for a while & it didn't go through! god l love these tires! i highly recommend them for people who ride in flat prone areas with lots of debris..
Lucky for you, but just today, I had a piece of GOD DAM green glass lodged in the kevlar, and YES it did go through, so YES a flat tire. My first one in like 500 miles on my armadillos. Some f*cking yahoo threw a beer bottle out the window, grrrrr, I wish I could meet him now having to call my wife to pick me up :)

jjiam25 said:
Lucky for you, but just today, I had a piece of GOD DAM green glass lodged in the kevlar, and YES it did go through, so YES a flat tire. My first one in like 500 miles on my armadillos. Some f*cking yahoo threw a beer bottle out the window, grrrrr, I wish I could meet him now having to call my wife to pick me up :)
Double grrrrr, why didn't you have a f*cking spare tube or repair kit & pump?

They do a nice job of preventing flats...but they don't ride very nice, and they have to be the hardest damn tires in the world to get on and off the rim. I can do vredestiens with my bare hands. It takes a titanium tire lever and a breaker bar to get armadillos off.

I found that armadillos gave me a very rough ride and started letting in punctures after about a year. Now I use Schwalbe Marathons and these give a sweet ride and no punctures at all.

I can't say it too many times... I love my armadildos! I'm riding the armadillo elite race tire, and it's as light as a race tire with great flat protection. Specialized knows what they're doing.

AmpedCycle said:
I can't say it too many times... I love my armadildos! I'm riding the armadillo elite race tire, and it's as light as a race tire with great flat protection. Specialized knows what they're doing.
Are your armadildos good value as well? I guess it means the batteries don't go flat very often. How is the new bike rolling? I tried several months ago [but not since] to buy Armadillo Elites from LBS in Oz but they were not available. Maybe I'll try again. I'm sure they are nothing like the Standard Armos though. My bike came with 25 mm All Condition Pros but likewise Specialized did not have 25 only 23 when I tried to buy replacements.

I have done a bit of posting about Armadillos on this site, I love them...
used to use the Continental Kevlar (can't recall which model) but it always felt dead and had no grip in the wet.
Armadillos are not uncomfortable and have enough feel for me...not as much feel as a nice Vittoria Rubino Pro, but good enough.
Punctures aren't a problem I suppose, if you have a support car behind you to hand out a new wheel, however 99% of us have to stand next to a busy road replacing a tube...so the fewer flats I get, the better.
The Armadillos are great for puncture protection and don't feel too bad, so they score my eternal gratitude!!!
Just read the previous post and he said 23mm are hard to get; here in Perth, my mate and me have tried for 2 months to get 23mm armadillos but nobody has them. They got 25 mm but we don't want them.
So in desperation, I bought one Conti Ultrasport (23mm) which so far, has felt OK...it goes up to about 110-120 psi which I like, and when you squeeze the sidewall, seems soft enough so I think it's grippy enough.
Rode yesterday in the wet and it felt pretty good; although I ride on crappy roads covered in broken glass, no shards stuck to it which is either lucky or maybe the compound is good... don't know

jjiam25 said:
sddf

Albert 50 said:
Are your armadildos good value as well? I guess it means the batteries don't go flat very often. How is the new bike rolling? I tried several months ago [but not since] to buy Armadillo Elites from LBS in Oz but they were not available. Maybe I'll try again. I'm sure they are nothing like the Standard Armos though. My bike came with 25 mm All Condition Pros but likewise Specialized did not have 25 only 23 when I tried to buy replacements.

Where's ustralia?

I've had 23c Armadillo Elites on my backup/commuting bike for two years now, and, aside from the day when I was cornering over what turned out to be a pile of carpet tacks & one punctured the sidewall (which ironically was the FIRST DAY I had these tires on!) I have never gotten another flat in those two years.

And that's the bike I use to train with all the CAT3 & 4 racers...believe me, it ain't the Armadillos that's keeping me off the podium. No, they don't feel remotely like tubulars, but they roll, grip, corner, and haul ass just fine. And since they never flat, who gives a fcuk whether they're hard to get on/off the rim?

Peter@vecchios said:
Where's ustralia?
Why downunder of course! And under downunder is...I was going to say the dingleberry on the butt never mind, broken glass is everywhere. Armidillo's and similar will prevail in these tough times.

Albert 50 said:
Double grrrrr, why didn't you have a f*cking spare tube or repair kit & pump?
Yea, funny he blames someone else for his own mistake. I'd be ashamed to say I had to call for a pick up because I was unprepared for normal events.