"BVM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
>Why not just have TT bars rise up from the fork blades? Seems like you wouldn't need a stem >anymore. >
The US Olympic team pursuit bikes for 1984 had just that. The stem was welded to the fork crown and nothing came out of the top of the headtube. So the stem was vertical and in front of the headtube.
I have the bike that Dave Letteri rode that year but nowhere to post a photo.
"BVM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
>Why not just have TT bars rise up from the fork blades? Seems like you wouldn't need a stem >anymore. >
The US Olympic team pursuit bikes for 1984 had just that. The stem was welded to the fork crown and nothing came out of the top of the headtube. So the stem was vertical and in front of the headtube.
I have the bike that Dave Letteri rode that year but nowhere to post a photo.
I don't read much into Armstrong winning that TT, the competition was not exactly top-notch - USPS was the only D1 team who brought anything like an "A" team...
But he certainly doesn't look fat.
It's an old Shimano Dura Ace AX front brake, circa 1982 or so. I became a hardware maven back in July of 1982 when Bicycling (almost worth reading back then) had a great comparo of 3 Italian steeds with Campy Super Record (De Rosa, Guerciotti, Rossin) with 3 Japanese high end bikes (Fuji, 3Rensho, Miyata). One of them was built with the Dura Ace AX group - the Miyata, I believe. They had these brakes, which were a sort of cam centerpull. The whole Dura Ace AX component group was an attempt at building "aerodynamic" components (I don't know about the aerodynamics of most of the components, but the water bottles were pretty slick, and another item Lance has used from time to time). I once made a disparaging comment about their braking power, but someone chimed in to tell me that they worked rather well, despite their tiny pads.
Lance has used them before, back in 2000, for his time trial bike.
I found this this a good picture of the rear brake and other AX components.