Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Article on Landis

Started by dtmeister · · Last activity · 36 posts · 2,497 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
25 July 2006
Last activity
3 August 2006
Original author
dtmeister
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,497
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–36 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In aus.bicycle on 27 Jul 2006 16:14:27 -0700

    Donga said:


    All you have to do is put a hormone treatment patch on your scrotum for
    six hours, no needles required:

    But where's the fun in that?

    Zebee

  2. Zebee Johnstone said:

    But where's the fun in that?

    You worry me, Zebee.

    Donga

  3. quote='Bleve'Claes said:
    Aeek said:
    cfsmtb said:

    ??😕??
    http://tinyurl.com/lsgkw

    definite, he's being classier than Jan.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul27news3


    This is so sad. I watched a total of 4 hours of the tour, because of
    doping problems in general, but the debacle with Ullrich and the rest
    at start in particular. Now this, I am glad I did not watch more. So so
    sad, it is hard to be a cycling fan these days.

    you know what? It was a fantastic race to watch. You missed out.

    Do you feel cheated if your favorite musician plays on stage, while
    using coke, or alcohol?

    I hope it's not true that Landis was deliberatly cheating, but even if
    he was doping to the eyeballs and gets the race taken off him and
    banned for ever, the race was still a superb one to watch.[/QUOTE]

    Here's an idea - at some point during week 2 of the Tour, the organisers select a top 15 rider at random, dope him to the eyeballs and release him back into the pack. The goal is to guess who is on drugs, with bets taken on cyclingnews's fantasy tour game..... o hang on.. that sorta happens already.... 🙄

  4. Zebee Johnstone said:
    Donga said:


    All you have to do is put a hormone treatment patch on your scrotum
    for six hours, no needles required:

    But where's the fun in that?

    The fun would be in removing the patch. Ouch!

    Theo

  5. Claes said:
    Aeek said:
    cfsmtb said:

    ??😕??
    http://tinyurl.com/lsgkw

    definite, he's being classier than Jan.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul27news3


    This is so sad. I watched a total of 4 hours of the tour, because of
    doping problems in general, but the debacle with Ullrich and the rest
    at start in particular. Now this, I am glad I did not watch more. So so
    sad, it is hard to be a cycling fan these days.

    --
    Claes

    If you only watched 4 hrs you're not a cycling fans so no problems.

  6. Claes said:

    This is so sad. I watched a total of 4 hours of the tour, because of
    doping problems in general, but the debacle with Ullrich and the rest
    at start in particular. Now this, I am glad I did not watch more. So so
    sad, it is hard to be a cycling fan these days.

    I'd compare this to being too afraid to ask someone out. Yes, you're
    guaranteed to never be disappointed or rejected. But by not taking
    the risk, you're also guaranteed to miss out on a lot of good stuff..

    --
    ..dt

  7. Claes said:

    Now this, I am glad I did not watch more. So so
    sad, it is hard to be a cycling fan these days.

    Why? Because its getting harder to fool yourself? Time to face reality.
    Winning the Tour _requires_ super-human ability.
    Why not just be honest and enjoy it for what it is?

    A fusion of coaching, drugs, altitude training, drugs, psychology,
    strategy, genetics, drugs, skill, money, legal "supplements", ...

    How about legalising it, and giving the pharmacists the recognition
    they deserve?

    So they all cheat. So what? No amount of EPO could get you or I to
    keep up with that peleton.

    Next we'll discover that supermodels are airbrushed, or Ray Martin's
    hair isn't his own.

  8. Theo Bekkers said:
    Zebee Johnstone said:
    Donga said:

    All you have to do is put a hormone treatment patch on your scrotum
    for six hours, no needles required:

    But where's the fun in that?

    The fun would be in removing the patch. Ouch!

    No,
    Real cyclists don't stop shaving at the thigh!

  9. warrwych said:

    Here's an idea - at some point during week 2 of the Tour, the
    organisers select a top 15 rider at random, dope him to the eyeballs
    and release him back into the pack. The goal is to guess who is on
    drugs, with bets taken on cyclingnews's fantasy tour game..... o hang
    on.. that sorta happens already.... 🙄

    For $4.95 the punters can SMS their votes in. 🙂

    Travis

  10. quote='Mike'Claes said:

    Now this, I am glad I did not watch more. So so
    sad, it is hard to be a cycling fan these days.

    Why? Because its getting harder to fool yourself? Time to face reality.
    Winning the Tour _requires_ super-human ability.
    Why not just be honest and enjoy it for what it is?

    [...] [/QUOTE]
    Predictions that this will turn people away from the sport:

    theaustralian.news.com.au0,20867,19938963 2722,00.html

    I'm far less interested in watching people cycle than I am actually cycling, but if indeed these ongoing media frenzies turn people away from cycling as a sport it is a real pity.

    I must confess the bit that worries me most about it is the thought of people using dosages of drugs which aren't well-understood for use in people without any ongoing health surveillance because the whole thing is hush-hush. I don't like the idea of people cheating, but I like less the idea that they may end up with short- or long-term health deficits as a result.

    ali

  11. Mike said:

    Real cyclists don't stop shaving at the thigh!

    Roadie Scum! :-)

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    We tend to view 'all publicity is good publicity' as a challenge
    we should endeavour to meet - The Register

  12. quote='Bleve'Claes said:
    Aeek said:
    cfsmtb said:

    ??😕??
    http://tinyurl.com/lsgkw

    definite, he's being classier than Jan.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul27news3


    This is so sad. I watched a total of 4 hours of the tour, because of
    doping problems in general, but the debacle with Ullrich and the rest
    at start in particular. Now this, I am glad I did not watch more. So so
    sad, it is hard to be a cycling fan these days.

    you know what? It was a fantastic race to watch. You missed out.

    Do you feel cheated if your favorite musician plays on stage, while
    using coke, or alcohol?

    I hope it's not true that Landis was deliberatly cheating, but even if
    he was doping to the eyeballs and gets the race taken off him and
    banned for ever, the race was still a superb one to watch.[/QUOTE]
    That comparison does not hold for me at least. You are comparing cars and
    oranges here I reckon. Nuff said.

  13. quote='PiledHigher'Claes said:
    Aeek said:
    cfsmtb said:

    ??😕??
    http://tinyurl.com/lsgkw

    definite, he's being classier than Jan.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul27news3


    This is so sad. I watched a total of 4 hours of the tour, because of
    doping problems in general, but the debacle with Ullrich and the rest
    at start in particular. Now this, I am glad I did not watch more. So so
    sad, it is hard to be a cycling fan these days.

    --
    Claes

    If you only watched 4 hrs you're not a cycling fans so no problems.[/QUOTE]
    If you see no problem fine for you, fan away fannie girl

  14. Bleve said:


    Do you feel cheated if your favorite musician plays on stage, while
    using coke, or alcohol?

    I hope it's not true that Landis was deliberatly cheating, but even if
    he was doping to the eyeballs and gets the race taken off him and
    banned for ever, the race was still a superb one to watch.

    Bill Hicks: "If you don't think drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor, go home and take all your albums, tapes, cds...and burn them. Cause, you know what, all those musicians who made that great music that has enhanced your lives throughout the years...real [censored] high on drugs."

    The race was fscking great to watch. Oddly enough, all this drug scandal [censored] just makes it more interesting for me AND the tour gets coverage (albeit negative) after the event has ended. "All press is good press!"

    hippy
    - loves a good scandal

  15. alison_b said:


    I must confess the bit that worries me most about it is the thought of people using dosages of drugs which aren't well-understood for use in people without any ongoing health surveillance because the whole thing is hush-hush. I don't like the idea of people cheating, but I like less the idea that they may end up with short- or long-term health deficits as a result.

    Many thousands of non-athletes do this now. Coke, speed, heroin, meth, lsd, e, ghb, blah, etc, etc.

    People take risks and I like to think it's their own stupid fault if these risks backfire. I'm cool with that as long as the risk applies to them alone.

    What I _don't_ like is people breaking the establised rules and "beating" other riders who have played by the book. That's cheating and in sport should be punished. Doping is like taking the train instead of riding part of the course.

    hippy
    - I like it when riders state "I have never used performance enhancing substances"... aren't sport drinks performance enhancing?

  16. On 2006-08-02, hippy (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    What I _don't_ like is people breaking the establised rules and
    "beating" other riders who have played by the book. That's cheating and
    in sport should be punished. Doping is like taking the train instead of
    riding part of the course.

    Just how did Maurice Garin think he was going to get away with getting
    on the train in 1904?

    Quoted message said:

    hippy
    - I like it when riders state "I have never used performance enhancing
    substances"... aren't sport drinks performance enhancing?

    Beer is.

    --
    TimC
    Our goverment "invests" in roads, but "subsidises" public transport.
    -- Peter Corlett (UK)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.