Atenolol/ Last 24 hours?

Ronnie

Guest
If you take a 25 mg dose of Atenolol, how long will it
control your heart rate? If the 25 keeps your heart rate at
80 bpm when you first start taking it (day 1 dose 1), how
many days will you need to be on it at this dose for it to
build up in your system so that the once a day dose of 25 mg
will carry you threw the whole 24 hour period and keep your
heart rate constant?

What I want to know in case I did not clarify it was how
many days would you have to take Atenolol for it to reach a
steady state in your body so it would indeed cover your
heart rate for 24 hours? I know it has a mean half life of
6.5 hours and it takes roughly 5 half lifes to get out of
your system so I am thinking that after about 4 days you
would know if 25 mg would be a high enough dose to carry you
(steady heartrate) for 24 hours? And if it is not keeping
your heart rate consistent for 24 hours after 4 days on the
25 mg dose that you would then need to up it to 50mg?

Thanks

"Ronnie" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>What I want to know in case I did not clarify it was how
>many days would you have to take Atenolol for it to reach
>a steady state in your body so it would indeed cover your
>heart rate for 24 hours? I know it has a mean half life
>of 6.5 hours and it takes roughly 5 half lifes to get out
>of your system so I am thinking that after about 4 days
>you would know if 25 mg would be a high enough dose to
>carry you (steady heartrate) for 24 hours? And if it is
>not keeping your heart rate consistent for 24 hours after
>4 days on the 25 mg dose that you would then need to up
>it to 50mg?

You can divide the dose (split the pill) and take it twice a
day. I have had to do that with atenolol.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Jim,

My problem is if I take a half twice a day it does not help
at all (12.5 twice a day) Maybe I need 25mg twice a day?
What is the shortest time you should go between taking
doses? 8 to 12 hours?

Jim Chinnis <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ronnie" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
> >What I want to know in case I did not clarify it was how
> >many days would
you
> >have to take Atenolol for it to reach a steady state in
> >your body so it would indeed cover your heart rate for 24
> >hours? I know it has a mean
half
> >life of 6.5 hours and it takes roughly 5 half lifes to
> >get out of your system so I am thinking that after about
> >4 days you would know if 25 mg would be a high enough
> >dose to carry you (steady heartrate) for 24 hours? And if
> >it is not keeping your heart rate consistent for 24 hours
> >after 4 days on the 25 mg dose that you would then need
> >to up it to 50mg?
>
> You can divide the dose (split the pill) and take it twice
> a day. I have
had
> to do that with atenolol.
> --
> Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

"Ronnie" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>Jim,
>
>My problem is if I take a half twice a day it does not help
>at all (12.5 twice a day) Maybe I need 25mg twice a day?
>What is the shortest time you should go between taking
>doses? 8 to 12 hours?
>

>Jim Chinnis <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "Ronnie" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>>
>> >What I want to know in case I did not clarify it was how
>> >many days would
>you
>> >have to take Atenolol for it to reach a steady state in
>> >your body so it would indeed cover your heart rate for
>> >24 hours? I know it has a mean
>half
>> >life of 6.5 hours and it takes roughly 5 half lifes to
>> >get out of your system so I am thinking that after about
>> >4 days you would know if 25 mg would be a high enough
>> >dose to carry you (steady heartrate) for 24 hours? And
>> >if it is not keeping your heart rate consistent for 24
>> >hours after 4 days on the 25 mg dose that you would then
>> >need to up it to 50mg?
>>
>> You can divide the dose (split the pill) and take it
>> twice a day. I have
>had
>> to do that with atenolol.
>> --
>> Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

I think you have to work out your dosage with your doctor.
My point was just that I have have found atenolol to be too
short-acting to be taken once a day. I have also seen a
report (conference proceedings, I think) that observed that
most doctors are unaware that dosing sometimes needs to be
twice a day.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

I cannot recall whether it was with Atenolol, although I
think that it was, that my doctor told me not to divide
the dose so that I could take it first thing in the
morning and at night.

The point that he made was this. The body builds up a sort
of disregard for the drug (Atenolol?) which makes the drug
less effective if active within the body 24\7. The action of
a single dose declines well within 24 hours and the body
reverts to a non-drug state between then and the next
morning dose. He said that he favoured morning dosage so
that the drug-effect free period was at night when the dug
was least needed.

What prompted the discussion was that, on one occasion, the
dispensary was not able to give me the prescribed dose in
one tablet and gave me twice the number of half dose
tablets. I told my doctor about this and that I had split
the dose between morning and night.

Peter

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 02:42:00 GMT, "Ronnie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If you take a 25 mg dose of Atenolol, how long will it
>control your heart rate? If the 25 keeps your heart rate at
>80 bpm when you first start taking it (day 1 dose 1), how
>many days will you need to be on it at this dose for it to
>build up in your system so that the once a day dose of 25
>mg will carry you threw the whole 24 hour period and keep
>your heart rate constant?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:46:36 GMT, "Ronnie" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Jim,
>
>My problem is if I take a half twice a day it does not help
>at all (12.5 twice a day)
SNIP

The information leaflet in my packet of ATENOLOL says
"Swallow the tablet whole ............. Do not break or chew
the tablet"

If you are breaking them in half , maybe that is decreasing
their effectiveness ?

Anyone know why the tablets should be taken whole ?

I am taking the 25 mg of atenolol. It is a whole pill
and not scored for breaking. The 50mg are scored for
breaking in half.

It seems to me I heard somewhere that [email protected] wrote in article
<[email protected]>:

>On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:46:36 GMT, "Ronnie"
><[email protected]> wrote:

>>My problem is if I take a half twice a day it does not
>>help at all (12.5 twice a day)
>SNIP

>The information leaflet in my packet of ATENOLOL says
>"Swallow the tablet whole ............. Do not break or
>chew the tablet"

>If you are breaking them in half , maybe that is decreasing
>their effectiveness ?

My doctor has me splitting them, for a daily dose of 12.5mg
(1/2 tablet). Are you taking a coated or slow release
formulation?
--
Don [email protected]