General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Atkins Diet book from 1972

Started by miss jaime · · Last activity · 13 posts · 814 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 November 2005
Last activity
23 November 2005
Original author
miss jaime
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
814
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was going through my books today to thin them out.
    I'm moving in with the DBF soon and due to space at our new place I cannot
    take them all. I have a Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book from 1972 to
    give away if anyone is interested and does not mind a wee bit of writing in
    the book.

    I know it is out of date as far as DANDR goes but it might be of interest to
    someone just for the fun of reading. It also has some recipes in it.

    I can mail it to whomever wants it, free of charge, at the end of this
    month.
    Email me and let me know. I thought I would ask here first before hitting
    the Freecycle groups.
    Jaime

  2. -off to eBay, or Amazon

    People buy them.

    "miss jaime" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was going through my books today to thin them out.
    I'm moving in with the DBF soon and due to space at our new place I cannot
    take them all. I have a Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book from 1972 to
    give away if anyone is interested and does not mind a wee bit of writing


    in

    Quoted message said:

    the book.

    I know it is out of date as far as DANDR goes but it might be of interest


    to

    Quoted message said:

    someone just for the fun of reading. It also has some recipes in it.

    I can mail it to whomever wants it, free of charge, at the end of this
    month.
    Email me and let me know. I thought I would ask here first before hitting
    the Freecycle groups.
    Jaime

  3. I have a new/recent Atkins book for only $3.50 with the carb pocket guide,
    its been sitting on half.com for sale forever. 🙁

  4. I've seen the new ones go for 1 cent plus shipping through Amazon vendors.
    Sometimes people will pay a premium to get the original 70's version of the
    diet.

    "The Screaming Banshee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a new/recent Atkins book for only $3.50 with the carb pocket guide,
    its been sitting on half.com for sale forever. 🙁

  5. "Cubit" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've seen the new ones go for 1 cent plus shipping through Amazon vendors.
    Sometimes people will pay a premium to get the original 70's version of
    the
    diet.

    Money isn't *everything* to everyone.

  6. "miss jaime" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was going through my books today to thin them out.
    I'm moving in with the DBF soon and due to space at our new place I cannot
    take them all. I have a Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book from 1972 to
    give away if anyone is interested and does not mind a wee bit of writing


    in

    Quoted message said:

    the book.

    I know it is out of date as far as DANDR goes but it might be of interest


    to

    Quoted message said:

    someone just for the fun of reading. It also has some recipes in it.

    I can mail it to whomever wants it, free of charge, at the end of this
    month.
    Email me and let me know. I thought I would ask here first before hitting
    the Freecycle groups.
    Jaime

    Give it to someone... there are so many millions out there, that it has
    no real value.

  7. Glassman said:
    miss jaime said:

    I was going through my books today to thin them out.
    I'm moving in with the DBF soon and due to space at our new place I cannot
    take them all. I have a Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book from 1972 to
    give away if anyone is interested and does not mind a wee bit of writing


    in

    Quoted message said:

    the book.

    Give it to someone... there are so many millions out there

    I agree. I've given away several copies on various editions over
    the years.

    Quoted message said:

    that it has no real value.

    I disagree. If you follow the directions as given in the book and use
    today's
    counting methods, the food isn't any different from what was suggested
    right up until the point fiber deduction for net carbs was added to the
    plan.
    Only the first weeks is any lower than regular Induction. The biggest
    change between 1972 and 2002 is how the count was done. In 1972
    several low carb veggies were counted as zero and so were items with
    small counts like eggs and cheese. In the end the count using the 1972
    method runs around 15 lower than today and the schedule of carb quotas
    in the 1972 edition reflects that.

    Each edition has its own advantages and disadvantages. All are poorly
    written enough to have several confusing parts, yet the confusing parts
    are different in each book. Reading the same part in a different
    edition
    can remove the confusion. For example in 1972 Dr A was clear that
    CCL was determined by the ketosis. In ketosis below CCLL, out of
    ketosis above CCL. All later editions it appears that Dr A isn't able
    to
    tell the different between ketosis and loss so it takes the 1972
    edition
    to explain why he makes that mistake from 1993 on. There are several
    such reasons why it's a great idea to have more than one edition to
    ompare against.

  8. "Doug Freyburger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Glassman said:
    miss jaime said:

    I was going through my books today to thin them out.
    I'm moving in with the DBF soon and due to space at our new place I


    cannot

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    take them all. I have a Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book from 1972


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    give away if anyone is interested and does not mind a wee bit of


    writing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in

    Quoted message said:

    the book.

    Give it to someone... there are so many millions out there

    I agree. I've given away several copies on various editions over
    the years.

    Quoted message said:

    that it has no real value.

    I disagree. If you follow the directions as given in the book and use
    today's
    counting methods, the food isn't any different from what was suggested
    right up until the point fiber deduction for net carbs was added to the

    I wasn't talking about the content, but the value of the book itself on
    the open market. I bought mine almost 8 years ago for .50 in a used
    bookstore.

    --
    "I'm not pompous and agrogant, I'm SNARKY"
    JK Sinrod
    Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
    www.sinrodstudios.com
    Coney Island Memories
    www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

  9. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Doug Freyburger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Glassman said:

    miss jaime wrote:

    > I was going through my books today to thin them out.
    > I'm moving in with the DBF soon and due to space at our new place I


    cannot

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > take them all. I have a Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book from 1972


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > give away if anyone is interested and does not mind a wee bit of


    writing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in
    > the book.

    Give it to someone... there are so many millions out there

    I agree. I've given away several copies on various editions over
    the years.

    Quoted message said:

    that it has no real value.

    I disagree. If you follow the directions as given in the book and use
    today's
    counting methods, the food isn't any different from what was suggested
    right up until the point fiber deduction for net carbs was added to the

    I wasn't talking about the content, but the value of the book itself on
    the open market. I bought mine almost 8 years ago for .50 in a used
    bookstore.

    The value of Jaime's book is a moot point in this case -- Jaime wasn't
    here to tell us she has a book to give away -- she was here to tell us
    (and possibly her low-carbing ex-boyfriend who may or may not be lurking
    here) that she has a NEW dear boyfriend and that they are about to move
    in together. She may very well have a 1972 Atkins book to give away,
    but I seriously doubt that it was the main purpose of the post.

    --
    Saffire
    205/129/125
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  10. "Saffire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message >>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    The value of Jaime's book is a moot point in this case -- Jaime wasn't
    here to tell us she has a book to give away -- she was here to tell us
    (and possibly her low-carbing ex-boyfriend who may or may not be lurking
    here) that she has a NEW dear boyfriend and that they are about to move
    in together. She may very well have a 1972 Atkins book to give away,
    but I seriously doubt that it was the main purpose of the post.

    <rolls eyes>

    Give me a *break*.

    You are entirely *WRONG*. I *am* here to give away that book to anyone who
    might be interested in it.

    Would you care to see photographs of the book in question?

    (BTW if I wanted to tell whats-his-face *anything* all I need to do is pick
    up the telephone and call him, which I *don't* do for the simple fact that
    why should I bother with a guy who treated me like *[censored]* in an emotionally
    abusive way since the very beginning. I just didn't see it back then. Love
    *is* blind after all but fortunately THAT relationship has taught me to
    watch for certain *signs* to be wary of. Go read his 'The RCH explained'
    thread in rec.crafts.metalworking and tell me if that was the most
    *inappropriate* thing you could do at the start of a new relationship. No
    *normal* guy would do that.)

  11. "Glassman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Give it to someone...

    I'm *trying* to. :-/

  12. "miss jaime" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Glassman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Give it to someone...

    I'm *trying* to. :-/

    hmmm..... go into your local library, and just leave it on a table and
    walk out... how's that?

    --
    "I'm not pompous and agrogant, I'm SNARKY"
    JK Sinrod
    Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
    www.sinrodstudios.com
    Coney Island Memories
    www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

  13. "Glassman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    hmmm..... go into your local library, and just leave it on a table and
    walk out... how's that?

    And disappoint the person who asked for it? ;-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.