Atkins-style diets can be life-threatening, doctors warn

"Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

virus
> a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
> reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

Absolutely. Years and years of eating **** and being inactive have
nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last month
that makes the difference. :eek:)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:40:45 GMT, Ignoramus29446
<[email protected]> wrote:

>She was discharged four days later and was without health
>problems three and 18 months later when the doctors spoke with her on
>the telephone.

One wonders what the big deal is, and whether her obesity
had reduced and other health problems had improved at that
time.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg

"Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

> virus
>> a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
>> reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

> Absolutely. Years and years of eating **** and being inactive have
> nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
> month
> that makes the difference. :eek:)

Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

Joe the Aroma wrote:
> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

>> virus
>>> a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
>>> reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

>> Absolutely. Years and years of eating **** and being inactive have
>> nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
>> month
>> that makes the difference. :eek:)

> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
> at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

Hmmm ... I've been sick ~20 times following a low fat diet plan. Should
I switch to low carb? Something like twice a year for 10 years.

--

Cheese

http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

Cheese wrote:
> Joe the Aroma wrote:
> > "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >> virus
> >> Absolutely. Years and years of eating **** and being inactive have
> >> nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
> >> month
> >> that makes the difference. :eek:)

> > Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
> > at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.
> >

> Hmmm ... I've been sick ~20 times following a low fat diet plan. Should
> I switch to low carb? Something like twice a year for 10 years.
>
> --
>
> Cheese
>
> http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

I might have a better track record than you, Cheese. My doctor says
the only time I come to see him is when I have poison ivy or sinus
infection brought on by seasonal allergies. After 63+ years I don't
think I'll be switching from my unhealthy low-fat diet either. We all
need to choose the diet plan that works best for our taste, lifestyle
and health whether it be low-fat, low-carb, etc. Any diet can be
healthy as long as it's sensible and includes the nutrients we need.

Beverly

"Beverly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Cheese wrote:
>> Joe the Aroma wrote:
>> > "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten
>> > sick
>> > at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.
>> >

>> Hmmm ... I've been sick ~20 times following a low fat diet plan. Should
>> I switch to low carb? Something like twice a year for 10 years.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cheese
>>
>> http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

> I might have a better track record than you, Cheese. My doctor says
> the only time I come to see him is when I have poison ivy or sinus
> infection brought on by seasonal allergies. After 63+ years I don't
> think I'll be switching from my unhealthy low-fat diet either. We all
> need to choose the diet plan that works best for our taste, lifestyle
> and health whether it be low-fat, low-carb, etc. Any diet can be
> healthy as long as it's sensible and includes the nutrients we need.

Well said.
--
the volleyballchick

"Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

> > virus
> >> a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
> >> reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

> > Absolutely. Years and years of eating **** and being inactive have
> > nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
> > month
> > that makes the difference. :eek:)

> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten

sick
> at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

I also believe low carb is the best way to eat.

Reading about some of these people that are having complications with low
carb makes me wonder if they were not doing it properly. A co-worker was
claiming to be doing Atkins' diet while he was preparing lunch for himself.
He was making an omelet with plenty of veggies, but had also removed all of
the yokes, and was making it in a no-stick pan, so no oil or butter. I had
also watched him once cook a steak and cut off every little piece of fat
with the precision of a surgeon. He also ate a large salad with no dressing.
After a few weeks, I ran into him again and asked him how the diet was
going. He claimed that low carb was making him feel ill, and had to quit. He
praised the diet for weight loss, but in the same breath stated that there's
no way someone could do it long term.
There are some people here that have an aversion to saturated fat, and
would therefore probably remove the fat from a steak. But most, I think are
aware that Atkins' is high fat, so eat fats like olive oil, or other
vegetable oils without worry. This is still workable within Atkins.
Of course I'm not a doctor. But it seems likely to me that some of these
people with the worst complications may in fact be suffering from a
condition called "Rabbit Starvation". The obese woman in the Lancet article,
"felt nauseous, and was dehydrated after vomiting for several days." She was
also in "moderate distress". This is an accurate description of the symptoms
of "Rabbit Starvation".

> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > virus
>> >
>> > Absolutely. Years and years of eating **** and being inactive have
>> > nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
>> > month
>> > that makes the difference. :eek:)

>> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten

> sick
>> at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

> I also believe low carb is the best way to eat.
>
> Reading about some of these people that are having complications with low
> carb makes me wonder if they were not doing it properly. A co-worker was
> claiming to be doing Atkins' diet while he was preparing lunch for
> himself.
> He was making an omelet with plenty of veggies, but had also removed all
> of
> the yokes, and was making it in a no-stick pan, so no oil or butter. I had
> also watched him once cook a steak and cut off every little piece of fat
> with the precision of a surgeon. He also ate a large salad with no
> dressing.
> After a few weeks, I ran into him again and asked him how the diet was
> going. He claimed that low carb was making him feel ill, and had to quit.
> He
> praised the diet for weight loss, but in the same breath stated that
> there's
> no way someone could do it long term.
> There are some people here that have an aversion to saturated fat, and
> would therefore probably remove the fat from a steak. But most, I think
> are
> aware that Atkins' is high fat, so eat fats like olive oil, or other
> vegetable oils without worry. This is still workable within Atkins.
> Of course I'm not a doctor. But it seems likely to me that some of these
> people with the worst complications may in fact be suffering from a
> condition called "Rabbit Starvation". The obese woman in the Lancet
> article,
> "felt nauseous, and was dehydrated after vomiting for several days." She
> was
> also in "moderate distress". This is an accurate description of the
> symptoms
> of "Rabbit Starvation".

I cut back on the sat fats and tried upping my mono fats and feel a tad
better and also seem to be losing weight faster. This is a great diet and I
find that even when I "go off" my diet I trend towards a more low carb fare
of meat, cheese, and veggies. I can't even go off this diet it seems!

Beverly wrote:
> Cheese wrote:
>> Joe the Aroma wrote:
>>> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
>>> at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.
>>>

>> Hmmm ... I've been sick ~20 times following a low fat diet plan. Should
>> I switch to low carb? Something like twice a year for 10 years.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cheese
>>
>> http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

> I might have a better track record than you, Cheese. My doctor says
> the only time I come to see him is when I have poison ivy or sinus
> infection brought on by seasonal allergies. After 63+ years I don't
> think I'll be switching from my unhealthy low-fat diet either. We all
> need to choose the diet plan that works best for our taste, lifestyle
> and health whether it be low-fat, low-carb, etc. Any diet can be
> healthy as long as it's sensible and includes the nutrients we need.
>

> Beverly

Nice!
--

Joe the Aroma wrote:
> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

>> virus
>>> a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
>>> reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

>> Absolutely. Years and years of eating **** and being inactive have
>> nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
>> month
>> that makes the difference. :eek:)

> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
> at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

Yea, but the latest spin is that a very low fat
diet (less than 10% of calories from fat) is what
is required. ;-) You obviously didn't go low
enough. (ducking and running)
--

Bill Eitner wrote:

> Joe the Aroma wrote:
>> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> virus
>>> Absolutely. Years and years of eating **** and being inactive have
>>> nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the
>>> last month
>>> that makes the difference. :eek:)

>> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten
>> sick at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

> Yea, but the latest spin is that a very low fat
> diet (less than 10% of calories from fat) is what
> is required. ;-) You obviously didn't go low
> enough. (ducking and running)
> --

I went down that low for a little while but my body certainly didn't
like it. Too much protein for my system to properly digest I guess. My
body is much happier around 20% fat so I don't have to take in above 40%
protein.

--

Tom G wrote:
> Reading about some of these people that are having complications with low
> carb makes me wonder if they were not doing it properly.[...]
> Of course I'm not a doctor. But it seems likely to me that some of these
> people with the worst complications may in fact be suffering from a
> condition called "Rabbit Starvation". The obese woman in the Lancet article,
> "felt nauseous, and was dehydrated after vomiting for several days." She was
> also in "moderate distress". This is an accurate description of the symptoms
> of "Rabbit Starvation".

[googles "rabbit starvation"]

Wow--that's really interesting. I'd never heard the term before.

One thing I've seen time and again with newcomers to Atkins--or any
diet, for that matter--is an urge to improve on it, thinking that with
a little bit of tweaking they can lose even more weight even faster.
Hell, I've done it myself, and to this day occasionally have to resist
the temptation to try it again.

Thinking "low-carb" means "as close to no-carb as humanly possible," is
one example. Or staying on Induction forever because adding back any
number of carbs, no matter how small, might slow down weight loss--as
if the "O" in OWL means "Obstructing" instead of "Ongoing."

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if this woman decided to improve on
Atkins by making it as low-fat as she possibly could. It's
understandable; when you're bombarded by Fat is Bad propaganda for
years on end, it's a bit scary making the leap to getting most of your
calories from fat.

In article <[email protected]>, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Anyone know which issue of the Lancet the article appeared in?

Vol 367, issue 9514, March 18-24, 2006, page 958

"A life-threatening complication of Atkins diet"

The whole thing is one page long.

--
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...
where there is hatred, let me sow love.

remove "spamtrap" for e-mail

"Baby Strange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tom G wrote:
> > Reading about some of these people that are having complications with

low
> > carb makes me wonder if they were not doing it properly.[...]
> > Of course I'm not a doctor. But it seems likely to me that some of

these
> > people with the worst complications may in fact be suffering from a
> > condition called "Rabbit Starvation". The obese woman in the Lancet

article,
> > "felt nauseous, and was dehydrated after vomiting for several days." She

was
> > also in "moderate distress". This is an accurate description of the

symptoms
> > of "Rabbit Starvation".

> [googles "rabbit starvation"]
>
> Wow--that's really interesting. I'd never heard the term before.

I've read that the natives used to say it was better to fast than to
feel the way you do eating lean meat.

> One thing I've seen time and again with newcomers to Atkins--or any
> diet, for that matter--is an urge to improve on it, thinking that with
> a little bit of tweaking they can lose even more weight even faster.
> Hell, I've done it myself, and to this day occasionally have to resist
> the temptation to try it again.

That's true. People usually are looking for the quick fix.

> Thinking "low-carb" means "as close to no-carb as humanly possible," is
> one example. Or staying on Induction forever because adding back any
> number of carbs, no matter how small, might slow down weight loss--as
> if the "O" in OWL means "Obstructing" instead of "Ongoing."

The process of OWL is to learn how to find the right balance of what
works and what doesn't. Short cutting could still allow for weight loss, but
likely a person will only be looking at the diet as a temporary thing rather
than a style of eating for life.

> So it wouldn't surprise me at all if this woman decided to improve on
> Atkins by making it as low-fat as she possibly could. It's
> understandable; when you're bombarded by Fat is Bad propaganda for
> years on end, it's a bit scary making the leap to getting most of your
> calories from fat.

Your right. People now realize that the refined carbs are not ideal for
us. 'Trouble is, we can't let go of the "fat is bad" mantra.

Cheese wrote:
> Bill Eitner wrote:
>>

>> Joe the Aroma wrote:
>>> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't
>>> gotten sick at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

>> Yea, but the latest spin is that a very low fat
>> diet (less than 10% of calories from fat) is what
>> is required. ;-) You obviously didn't go low
>> enough. (ducking and running)
>> --

> I went down that low for a little while but my body certainly didn't
> like it. Too much protein for my system to properly digest I guess. My
> body is much happier around 20% fat so I don't have to take in above 40%
> protein.

What were you eating that was providing protein without
enough fat to push your fat percentage above 10%?

I'm stalled on low carb and am considering trying a
very low fat diet for awhile to reset leptin and see
if it breaks the stall.

I lift weights and am trying to lose fat while
maintaining muscle mass. I believe in the assertion
that for an average man 80 or even 100 grams of
protein per day is required to spare muscle.
On low carb getting 100 grams of protein per day
is easy. Getting 100 grams of protein on a very
low fat diet (while complying with the fat restriction)
seems like it may be difficult.
--

Thanks for the info.
Your menu suggestion actually

Bill Eitner wrote:

> Cheese wrote:
>>
>> I went down that low for a little while but my body certainly didn't
>> like it. Too much protein for my system to properly digest I guess.
>> My body is much happier around 20% fat so I don't have to take in
>> above 40% protein.

> What were you eating that was providing protein without
> enough fat to push your fat percentage above 10%?
>
> I'm stalled on low carb and am considering trying a
> very low fat diet for awhile to reset leptin and see
> if it breaks the stall.
>
> I lift weights and am trying to lose fat while
> maintaining muscle mass. I believe in the assertion
> that for an average man 80 or even 100 grams of
> protein per day is required to spare muscle.
> On low carb getting 100 grams of protein per day
> is easy. Getting 100 grams of protein on a very
> low fat diet (while complying with the fat restriction)
> seems like it may be difficult.
> --

I was drinking a Myoplex protein shake after my lunch time workout but
gave it up because of the protein overload I mentioned above.

I'm actually still in the 10% fat range now but I do it a little
differently to keep the protein level more reasonable.

breakfast - Tri-O-Plex protein bar
snack - Banana
lunch - Wrap sandwich w/cold cuts and all the veggies.
snack - Cottage cheese
cocktail hour - 2 Martinis
dinner - Lean meats, veggies and rice or pasta.

1975 calories
132g protein (35%)
138g carbs (36%)
39g fat (10%)
74g alcohol (19%)
--

Cheese

http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:23:44 GMT, Ignoramus31542
<[email protected]> wrote:

=>Alt.support.diabetes readers can enjoy a reference to "ketoacidosis".
=>
=>i
=>======================================================================
=>http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1732719,00.html

--snip snip--
google Professor Klaus-Dieter Lessnau New York School of Medicine
ketoacidosis
Found
<http://www.health24.com/news/Weight_management_Obesity/1-955,35023.asp>
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060317/atkins_diet_060317/20060317?hub=Health>

Pay subscription needed
<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673606683943/fulltext>

---
The more we know, the less we know.
Low carb cures hungry but stop not craving.
k 1 6 8 9 a t h o t m a i l d o t c o m

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 01:37:45 GMT, abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
<[email protected]> wrote:

|---
|The more we know, the less we know.
|Low carb cures hungry but stop not craving.
|k 1 6 8 9 a t h o t m a i l d o t c o m

This is not true. Low carb stops sugar cravings; that's why it works
so well.