Atkins-style diets can be life-threatening, doctors warn

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ignoramus31542, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

    virus
    > a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
    > reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

    Absolutely. Years and years of eating crap and being inactive have
    nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last month
    that makes the difference. :eek:)

  2. Alan S

    Alan S Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:40:45 GMT, Ignoramus29446
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >She was discharged four days later and was without health
    >problems three and 18 months later when the doctors spoke with her on
    >the telephone.

    One wonders what the big deal is, and whether her obesity
    had reduced and other health problems had improved at that
    time.

    Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
    d&e, metformin 2x500mg

  3. "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:y2%[email protected]

    > "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

    > virus
    >> a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
    >> reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

    > Absolutely. Years and years of eating crap and being inactive have
    > nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
    > month
    > that makes the difference. :eek:)

    Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
    at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

  4. Cheese

    Cheese Guest

    Joe the Aroma wrote:
    > "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:y2%[email protected]
    >> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

    >> virus
    >>> a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
    >>> reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

    >> Absolutely. Years and years of eating crap and being inactive have
    >> nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
    >> month
    >> that makes the difference. :eek:)

    > Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
    > at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

    Hmmm ... I've been sick ~20 times following a low fat diet plan. Should
    I switch to low carb? Something like twice a year for 10 years.

    --

    Cheese

    http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

  5. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    Cheese wrote:
    > Joe the Aroma wrote:
    > > "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:y2%[email protected]
    > >> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]
    > >> virus
    > >> Absolutely. Years and years of eating crap and being inactive have
    > >> nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
    > >> month
    > >> that makes the difference. :eek:)

    > > Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
    > > at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.
    > >

    > Hmmm ... I've been sick ~20 times following a low fat diet plan. Should
    > I switch to low carb? Something like twice a year for 10 years.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Cheese
    >
    > http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

    I might have a better track record than you, Cheese. My doctor says
    the only time I come to see him is when I have poison ivy or sinus
    infection brought on by seasonal allergies. After 63+ years I don't
    think I'll be switching from my unhealthy low-fat diet either. We all
    need to choose the diet plan that works best for our taste, lifestyle
    and health whether it be low-fat, low-carb, etc. Any diet can be
    healthy as long as it's sensible and includes the nutrients we need.

    Beverly

  6. Nunya B.

    Nunya B. Guest

    "Beverly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Cheese wrote:
    >> Joe the Aroma wrote:
    >> > "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:y2%[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten
    >> > sick
    >> > at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.
    >> >

    >> Hmmm ... I've been sick ~20 times following a low fat diet plan. Should
    >> I switch to low carb? Something like twice a year for 10 years.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Cheese
    >>
    >> http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

    > I might have a better track record than you, Cheese. My doctor says
    > the only time I come to see him is when I have poison ivy or sinus
    > infection brought on by seasonal allergies. After 63+ years I don't
    > think I'll be switching from my unhealthy low-fat diet either. We all
    > need to choose the diet plan that works best for our taste, lifestyle
    > and health whether it be low-fat, low-carb, etc. Any diet can be
    > healthy as long as it's sensible and includes the nutrients we need.

    Well said.
    --
    the volleyballchick

  7. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:y2%[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

    > > virus
    > >> a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
    > >> reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

    > > Absolutely. Years and years of eating crap and being inactive have
    > > nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
    > > month
    > > that makes the difference. :eek:)

    > Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten

    sick
    > at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

    I also believe low carb is the best way to eat.

    Reading about some of these people that are having complications with low
    carb makes me wonder if they were not doing it properly. A co-worker was
    claiming to be doing Atkins' diet while he was preparing lunch for himself.
    He was making an omelet with plenty of veggies, but had also removed all of
    the yokes, and was making it in a no-stick pan, so no oil or butter. I had
    also watched him once cook a steak and cut off every little piece of fat
    with the precision of a surgeon. He also ate a large salad with no dressing.
    After a few weeks, I ran into him again and asked him how the diet was
    going. He claimed that low carb was making him feel ill, and had to quit. He
    praised the diet for weight loss, but in the same breath stated that there's
    no way someone could do it long term.
    There are some people here that have an aversion to saturated fat, and
    would therefore probably remove the fat from a steak. But most, I think are
    aware that Atkins' is high fat, so eat fats like olive oil, or other
    vegetable oils without worry. This is still workable within Atkins.
    Of course I'm not a doctor. But it seems likely to me that some of these
    people with the worst complications may in fact be suffering from a
    condition called "Rabbit Starvation". The obese woman in the Lancet article,
    "felt nauseous, and was dehydrated after vomiting for several days." She was
    also in "moderate distress". This is an accurate description of the symptoms
    of "Rabbit Starvation".

  8. "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:y2%[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]

    >> > virus
    >> >
    >> > Absolutely. Years and years of eating crap and being inactive have
    >> > nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
    >> > month
    >> > that makes the difference. :eek:)

    >> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten

    > sick
    >> at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

    > I also believe low carb is the best way to eat.
    >
    > Reading about some of these people that are having complications with low
    > carb makes me wonder if they were not doing it properly. A co-worker was
    > claiming to be doing Atkins' diet while he was preparing lunch for
    > himself.
    > He was making an omelet with plenty of veggies, but had also removed all
    > of
    > the yokes, and was making it in a no-stick pan, so no oil or butter. I had
    > also watched him once cook a steak and cut off every little piece of fat
    > with the precision of a surgeon. He also ate a large salad with no
    > dressing.
    > After a few weeks, I ran into him again and asked him how the diet was
    > going. He claimed that low carb was making him feel ill, and had to quit.
    > He
    > praised the diet for weight loss, but in the same breath stated that
    > there's
    > no way someone could do it long term.
    > There are some people here that have an aversion to saturated fat, and
    > would therefore probably remove the fat from a steak. But most, I think
    > are
    > aware that Atkins' is high fat, so eat fats like olive oil, or other
    > vegetable oils without worry. This is still workable within Atkins.
    > Of course I'm not a doctor. But it seems likely to me that some of these
    > people with the worst complications may in fact be suffering from a
    > condition called "Rabbit Starvation". The obese woman in the Lancet
    > article,
    > "felt nauseous, and was dehydrated after vomiting for several days." She
    > was
    > also in "moderate distress". This is an accurate description of the
    > symptoms
    > of "Rabbit Starvation".

    I cut back on the sat fats and tried upping my mono fats and feel a tad
    better and also seem to be losing weight faster. This is a great diet and I
    find that even when I "go off" my diet I trend towards a more low carb fare
    of meat, cheese, and veggies. I can't even go off this diet it seems!

  9. Cheese

    Cheese Guest

    Beverly wrote:
    > Cheese wrote:
    >> Joe the Aroma wrote:
    >>> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:y2%[email protected]
    >>> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
    >>> at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.
    >>>

    >> Hmmm ... I've been sick ~20 times following a low fat diet plan. Should
    >> I switch to low carb? Something like twice a year for 10 years.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Cheese
    >>
    >> http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

    > I might have a better track record than you, Cheese. My doctor says
    > the only time I come to see him is when I have poison ivy or sinus
    > infection brought on by seasonal allergies. After 63+ years I don't
    > think I'll be switching from my unhealthy low-fat diet either. We all
    > need to choose the diet plan that works best for our taste, lifestyle
    > and health whether it be low-fat, low-carb, etc. Any diet can be
    > healthy as long as it's sensible and includes the nutrients we need.
    >

    > Beverly

    Nice!
    --

    Cheese

    http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

  10. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Joe the Aroma wrote:
    > "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:y2%[email protected]
    >> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Personally I got sick from following a low-fat diet... a really nasty

    >> virus
    >>> a week into the diet that lasted for a month. I wonder if I shoudla'
    >>> reported that as a low-fat diet complication?

    >> Absolutely. Years and years of eating crap and being inactive have
    >> nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the last
    >> month
    >> that makes the difference. :eek:)

    > Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten sick
    > at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

    Yea, but the latest spin is that a very low fat
    diet (less than 10% of calories from fat) is what
    is required. ;-) You obviously didn't go low
    enough. (ducking and running)
    --

  11. Cheese

    Cheese Guest

    Bill Eitner wrote:

    > Joe the Aroma wrote:
    >> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:y2%[email protected]
    >>> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>> virus
    >>> Absolutely. Years and years of eating crap and being inactive have
    >>> nothing to do with ailments. It's only what you've changed in the
    >>> last month
    >>> that makes the difference. :eek:)

    >> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't gotten
    >> sick at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

    > Yea, but the latest spin is that a very low fat
    > diet (less than 10% of calories from fat) is what
    > is required. ;-) You obviously didn't go low
    > enough. (ducking and running)
    > --

    I went down that low for a little while but my body certainly didn't
    like it. Too much protein for my system to properly digest I guess. My
    body is much happier around 20% fat so I don't have to take in above 40%
    protein.

    --

    Cheese

    http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

  12. Baby Strange

    Baby Strange Guest

    Tom G wrote:
    > Reading about some of these people that are having complications with low
    > carb makes me wonder if they were not doing it properly.[...]
    > Of course I'm not a doctor. But it seems likely to me that some of these
    > people with the worst complications may in fact be suffering from a
    > condition called "Rabbit Starvation". The obese woman in the Lancet article,
    > "felt nauseous, and was dehydrated after vomiting for several days." She was
    > also in "moderate distress". This is an accurate description of the symptoms
    > of "Rabbit Starvation".

    [googles "rabbit starvation"]

    Wow--that's really interesting. I'd never heard the term before.

    One thing I've seen time and again with newcomers to Atkins--or any
    diet, for that matter--is an urge to improve on it, thinking that with
    a little bit of tweaking they can lose even more weight even faster.
    Hell, I've done it myself, and to this day occasionally have to resist
    the temptation to try it again.

    Thinking "low-carb" means "as close to no-carb as humanly possible," is
    one example. Or staying on Induction forever because adding back any
    number of carbs, no matter how small, might slow down weight loss--as
    if the "O" in OWL means "Obstructing" instead of "Ongoing."

    So it wouldn't surprise me at all if this woman decided to improve on
    Atkins by making it as low-fat as she possibly could. It's
    understandable; when you're bombarded by Fat is Bad propaganda for
    years on end, it's a bit scary making the leap to getting most of your
    calories from fat.

  13. Andrea

    Andrea Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Anyone know which issue of the Lancet the article appeared in?

    Vol 367, issue 9514, March 18-24, 2006, page 958

    "A life-threatening complication of Atkins diet"

    The whole thing is one page long.

    --
    Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...
    where there is hatred, let me sow love.

    remove "spamtrap" for e-mail

  14. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    "Baby Strange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Tom G wrote:
    > > Reading about some of these people that are having complications with

    low
    > > carb makes me wonder if they were not doing it properly.[...]
    > > Of course I'm not a doctor. But it seems likely to me that some of

    these
    > > people with the worst complications may in fact be suffering from a
    > > condition called "Rabbit Starvation". The obese woman in the Lancet

    article,
    > > "felt nauseous, and was dehydrated after vomiting for several days." She

    was
    > > also in "moderate distress". This is an accurate description of the

    symptoms
    > > of "Rabbit Starvation".

    > [googles "rabbit starvation"]
    >
    > Wow--that's really interesting. I'd never heard the term before.

    I've read that the natives used to say it was better to fast than to
    feel the way you do eating lean meat.

    > One thing I've seen time and again with newcomers to Atkins--or any
    > diet, for that matter--is an urge to improve on it, thinking that with
    > a little bit of tweaking they can lose even more weight even faster.
    > Hell, I've done it myself, and to this day occasionally have to resist
    > the temptation to try it again.

    That's true. People usually are looking for the quick fix.

    > Thinking "low-carb" means "as close to no-carb as humanly possible," is
    > one example. Or staying on Induction forever because adding back any
    > number of carbs, no matter how small, might slow down weight loss--as
    > if the "O" in OWL means "Obstructing" instead of "Ongoing."

    The process of OWL is to learn how to find the right balance of what
    works and what doesn't. Short cutting could still allow for weight loss, but
    likely a person will only be looking at the diet as a temporary thing rather
    than a style of eating for life.

    > So it wouldn't surprise me at all if this woman decided to improve on
    > Atkins by making it as low-fat as she possibly could. It's
    > understandable; when you're bombarded by Fat is Bad propaganda for
    > years on end, it's a bit scary making the leap to getting most of your
    > calories from fat.

    Your right. People now realize that the refined carbs are not ideal for
    us. 'Trouble is, we can't let go of the "fat is bad" mantra.

  15. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Cheese wrote:
    > Bill Eitner wrote:
    >>

    >> Joe the Aroma wrote:
    >>> "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:y2%[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> Well I didn't get sick all those years. Incidentally, I haven't
    >>> gotten sick at all on low-carb. Low fat diets are simply unhealthy.

    >> Yea, but the latest spin is that a very low fat
    >> diet (less than 10% of calories from fat) is what
    >> is required. ;-) You obviously didn't go low
    >> enough. (ducking and running)
    >> --

    > I went down that low for a little while but my body certainly didn't
    > like it. Too much protein for my system to properly digest I guess. My
    > body is much happier around 20% fat so I don't have to take in above 40%
    > protein.

    What were you eating that was providing protein without
    enough fat to push your fat percentage above 10%?

    I'm stalled on low carb and am considering trying a
    very low fat diet for awhile to reset leptin and see
    if it breaks the stall.

    I lift weights and am trying to lose fat while
    maintaining muscle mass. I believe in the assertion
    that for an average man 80 or even 100 grams of
    protein per day is required to spare muscle.
    On low carb getting 100 grams of protein per day
    is easy. Getting 100 grams of protein on a very
    low fat diet (while complying with the fat restriction)
    seems like it may be difficult.
    --

  16. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Thanks for the info.
    Your menu suggestion actually
    looked good (doable and not too
    drastic a change).
    --
    Cheese wrote:
    > Bill Eitner wrote:
    >>

    >> Cheese wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I went down that low for a little while but my body certainly didn't
    >>> like it. Too much protein for my system to properly digest I guess.
    >>> My body is much happier around 20% fat so I don't have to take in
    >>> above 40% protein.

    >> What were you eating that was providing protein without
    >> enough fat to push your fat percentage above 10%?
    >>
    >> I'm stalled on low carb and am considering trying a
    >> very low fat diet for awhile to reset leptin and see
    >> if it breaks the stall.
    >>
    >> I lift weights and am trying to lose fat while
    >> maintaining muscle mass. I believe in the assertion
    >> that for an average man 80 or even 100 grams of
    >> protein per day is required to spare muscle.
    >> On low carb getting 100 grams of protein per day
    >> is easy. Getting 100 grams of protein on a very
    >> low fat diet (while complying with the fat restriction)
    >> seems like it may be difficult.
    >> --

    > I was drinking a Myoplex protein shake after my lunch time workout but
    > gave it up because of the protein overload I mentioned above.
    >
    > I'm actually still in the 10% fat range now but I do it a little
    > differently to keep the protein level more reasonable.
    >
    > breakfast - Tri-O-Plex protein bar
    > snack - Banana
    > lunch - Wrap sandwich w/cold cuts and all the veggies.
    > snack - Cottage cheese
    > cocktail hour - 2 Martinis
    > dinner - Lean meats, veggies and rice or pasta.
    >
    > 1975 calories
    > 132g protein (35%)
    > 138g carbs (36%)
    > 39g fat (10%)
    > 74g alcohol (19%)

  17. Cheese

    Cheese Guest

    Bill Eitner wrote:

    > Cheese wrote:
    >>
    >> I went down that low for a little while but my body certainly didn't
    >> like it. Too much protein for my system to properly digest I guess.
    >> My body is much happier around 20% fat so I don't have to take in
    >> above 40% protein.

    > What were you eating that was providing protein without
    > enough fat to push your fat percentage above 10%?
    >
    > I'm stalled on low carb and am considering trying a
    > very low fat diet for awhile to reset leptin and see
    > if it breaks the stall.
    >
    > I lift weights and am trying to lose fat while
    > maintaining muscle mass. I believe in the assertion
    > that for an average man 80 or even 100 grams of
    > protein per day is required to spare muscle.
    > On low carb getting 100 grams of protein per day
    > is easy. Getting 100 grams of protein on a very
    > low fat diet (while complying with the fat restriction)
    > seems like it may be difficult.
    > --

    I was drinking a Myoplex protein shake after my lunch time workout but
    gave it up because of the protein overload I mentioned above.

    I'm actually still in the 10% fat range now but I do it a little
    differently to keep the protein level more reasonable.

    breakfast - Tri-O-Plex protein bar
    snack - Banana
    lunch - Wrap sandwich w/cold cuts and all the veggies.
    snack - Cottage cheese
    cocktail hour - 2 Martinis
    dinner - Lean meats, veggies and rice or pasta.

    1975 calories
    132g protein (35%)
    138g carbs (36%)
    39g fat (10%)
    74g alcohol (19%)
    --

    Cheese

    http://cheesensweets.com/contact/cheese

  18. On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:23:44 GMT, Ignoramus31542
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    =>Alt.support.diabetes readers can enjoy a reference to "ketoacidosis".
    =>
    =>i
    =>======================================================================
    =>http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1732719,00.html

    --snip snip--
    google Professor Klaus-Dieter Lessnau New York School of Medicine
    ketoacidosis
    Found
    <http://www.health24.com/news/Weight_management_Obesity/1-955,35023.asp>
    <http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060317/atkins_diet_060317/20060317?hub=Health>

    Pay subscription needed
    <http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673606683943/fulltext>

    ---
    The more we know, the less we know.
    Low carb cures hungry but stop not craving.
    k 1 6 8 9 a t h o t m a i l d o t c o m

  19. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 01:37:45 GMT, abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    |---
    |The more we know, the less we know.
    |Low carb cures hungry but stop not craving.
    |k 1 6 8 9 a t h o t m a i l d o t c o m

    This is not true. Low carb stops sugar cravings; that's why it works
    so well.