They look great but for the price, I am not so sure. A bike with all that alloy and Shimano components would be over $3000 Australian... yet they sell for $300 -$500 bucks!? And very few people report them as been bad... but then again it depends who buys one, for what purpose and how hard/often would they ride it? I get a feeling that it's "too good to be true"? Probably cheap Chinese imitation parts. Your thoughts?
1) The components of this bike is true Shimano but Shimano has a range... 2) The bike worth $3000?? Definitely go to the shops and have a look at what $3000 gets you these days.... You can get Carbon for $3000. 3) Cheap chinese imitations? Most the bikes these days are made in China.
If memory serves me right, that bike runs a 7 speed rear cassette. Thats 14 gears. Seriously, its not too good to be true... Its not any imitations. Just not that good of a bike.
Ok. Thanks for that. Obviously I over stated the "$3000" on alloy gear, but it's still "cheap" for so much alloy. I want to hear from other buyers of the bike what they think. And this comment that bikes are made in China, is true, but not all factories in China are the same.
What model do you have? What do you use it for? How long have you had it? How often do you ride a week? What other accessories did you attach to the bike? Do you use panniers? How much do you weigh? On what roads do you ride? On footpaths? What weather conditions do you ride in?
All of these questions should be answered I think to determine a proper use of a bike and if it's suitable for the rider. Of course if I bought an AtomikMamba and use it once a month, then I too would say, '... yeah great bike!'.
They look great but for the price, I am not so sure. A bike with all that alloy and Shimano components would be over $3000 Australian... yet they sell for $300 -$500 bucks!? And very few people report them as been bad... but then again it depends who buys one, for what purpose and how hard/often would they ride it? I get a feeling that it's "too good to be true"? Probably cheap Chinese imitation parts. Your thoughts?
Just to put these bikes in perspective, the base model of road bike for many brands would have Shimano Sora (8 speed) components and would cost $AU800 - $1000. These bikes (from Felt, Avanti, Giant and many others) are substantially better than the eBay things and, if you buy from reputable shop, will be set up correctly for you riding. There was a road bike at Aldi here in AUS recently for $AU199 - it was only slightly below the Atomik in its specs.
Hmmm ok... so basically you get what you pay for. So in terms of what the Atomik offers in components and brands, it *is* worth the price?
But aside from all of that, I am, like most people looking for bikes, pretty illiterate when it comes to bike components and what brand is better/more expensive than others. Therefore I just want the bike to last and to be durable. If you're saying that the Atomik is worth the price because of the "quality" parts it has, then I am going to bid on one today. I simply cannot afford carbon or anything above $1000 (au).
Also, if you look at the adds on eBay, there seems to be of a shortage of spokes for proper support on the rims. A nasty bump on those and I reckon you've got a buckled wheel more easily than a wheel with more spokes.
Just to put these bikes in perspective, the base model of road bike for many brands would have Shimano Sora (8 speed) components and would cost $AU800 - $1000. These bikes (from Felt, Avanti, Giant and many others) are substantially better than the eBay things and, if you buy from reputable shop, will be set up correctly for you riding. There was a road bike at Aldi here in AUS recently for $AU199 - it was only slightly below the Atomik in its specs.
Aldi's road bikes are back on sale - check out www.aldi.com.au
At $200, a 14 speed bike like that is a steal, but at $500, I'd rather save up a few more months and get a decent Sora equipped road bike.
Have you thought about trying the second hand route? You'd probably get a much better bike for the money you're laying down.
I bought 2 bikes this year. The first one was a TREK 1000 that I paid $900 for. It was a very very good bike for the money. Was decently light and ran Sora/Tiagra mix. Carbon forks and Seatpost.
Seriously, I am sure you'd get one for even cheaper these days and even look for 05 clearances. Spend the extra couple hundred and you wont regret it!!!
I own an atomik and i must admit I have had a few problems however it isnt anything you wouldnt have on any bike. Personally I am happy with my purchase.