Auckland to Wellington Charity Ride - Anyone Interested?

wishes

Oct 21, 2006
As the title says - im thinking about organizing something, wanted to know how many people are interested.

Perhaps next summer during the xmas holidays.

post more info about the route, number of days involved, availability of support vehicle for gear etc. cheers.

boon

boon said:
post more info about the route, number of days involved, availability of support vehicle for gear etc. cheers.

boon
There is no info yet, im seeing if there is enough interest first. No point organizing something if nobody else will come :)

I'm interested.

Would be a nice change from riding in Sydney.
What route are you thinking of. Road or dirt. Hopefully all road!!!!

Keep me posted

Regards
Rohan

woot geniune interest :)

Yeah definatly road, I was aiming for about 100-200km per day easy (dependant on towns and terrain and riders) with perhaps a day or so break in the middle.

Shouldnt take more than a couple weeks :)

My brother was going to ride Auckland to Christchurch. But we are talking 50 - 70k per day with a ciggie every 5 - 10k.

He got sick just before he was going to do it and didn't go.

What route were you thinking of riding?

mikesbytes said:
My brother was going to ride Auckland to Christchurch. But we are talking 50 - 70k per day with a ciggie every 5 - 10k.

He got sick just before he was going to do it and didn't go.

What route were you thinking of riding?
haha wonder why he got sick *G*

I was planning on about 150-200km a dayish (dependant on towns) with a break of a day in the middle somewhere. Straight down the state highway 1.
Though if you have any other ideas im keen to know.
My idea was that we have friends/family/hiretruck to carry our gear, and find free/cheap cabins or similar to bunk at on the way down.

Wouldn't it be better to take some of the secondary roads where possible instead of State Highway 1? Much quieter and there's a lot of very picturesque country out there.

Also, 150-200km/day for several days is going to be a challenge for any but the most committed and fittest cyclists, which means you will be severely limiting the number of potential participants.

matagi said:
Wouldn't it be better to take some of the secondary roads where possible instead of State Highway 1? Much quieter and there's a lot of very picturesque country out there.

Also, 150-200km/day for several days is going to be a challenge for any but the most committed and fittest cyclists, which means you will be severely limiting the number of potential participants.
I did think about other routes, but then you add a lot of extra km on taking ticky tours.
To be honest, i wouldnt really be wanting anyone who would have trouble with 150-200km rides.
I wouldnt consider myself an expert or pro cyclist by any stretch of the imagination, only intermediate at best. And i could do a slow 150km in a day without too much trouble. It doesnt have to be fast.
If a person is going to struggle with a distance like that then i think they would be pushing it to do the entire distance.

wishes said:
To be honest, i wouldnt really be wanting anyone who would have trouble with 150-200km rides.
I wouldnt consider myself an expert or pro cyclist by any stretch of the imagination, only intermediate at best. And i could do a slow 150km in a day without too much trouble. It doesnt have to be fast.
If a person is going to struggle with a distance like that then i think they would be pushing it to do the entire distance.
If that is the case, you will need to spell this out clearly right at the beginning.

You might want to consider that 150-200km during the height of a NZ summer, roasting under a depleted ozone layer (remember that?) is not going to be an easy ride. At a relatively slow 20km/hr you will be in the saddle for 7.5-10 hours, depending on the distance - you better have your support network down pat, because refuelling and maintaining adequate hydration are going to be real issues.

Good luck with it all, I hope it comes to fruition.

wishes said:
Shoulder?
So there's no sealed shoulder.

Why state highway 1? Why not West Talpo (spelling?) or the road that goes directly south to Wanganuni. Lots of corners but not too much traffic.

mikesbytes said:
So there's no sealed shoulder.

Why state highway 1? Why not West Talpo (spelling?) or the road that goes directly south to Wanganuni. Lots of corners but not too much traffic.
Probably because i do not know of this road :)
Thats what suggestions are for! :D
The more the merrier! so far i have 'less distance per day' and 'take some windy road ive never heard of' which all seem like good suggestions :)

Ive never done this kinda thing before, if i can steal your experiance then i sure will! especially if i dont have to pay *G*

i agree that secondary roads are better, safer and more scenic. sure it's not a tour but it's not a race either. here's my route suggest:

Stage 1: Auckland to Hamilton (100 to 125km, depending on start/end points)

Stage 2: Hamilton to Taumaranui or National Park (???km)

Stage 3: Taumaranui or National Park to Wanganui (???km)

Stage 4: Wanganui to Wellington (???km)

Stage 5 (optional): Cafe Tour of Wellington.

Could have a rest day between stages 2 and 3. then take the train back to Auckland (the Overlander is suppose to be scenic).

boon

hmm thats not to bad a timeline.

My idea was doing during the xmas holidays when everyone can take a week or two off. and yeah most definatly spend some time in the cafes/bars in welly before heading back :D

EmPat said:
I am tentatively keen. Any idea what charity to support?
Dunno, im kinda partial to raising awareness of kidney donations.
Im currently doing the tests to donate mine to my older brother. Its what got me loosing weight and onto my bike :)

Though other ideas is definatly appretiated.