Aussies help rest of world learn swimming rules!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Stp, Mar 27, 2004.

  1. Stp

    Stp Guest

    Thorpe was disqualified in the prelims??????? I haven't seen
    the video but as a part time amateur swim official, I'm hard
    pressed to see how anyone could have the balls to make that
    call. Has the ref gone to an "undisclosed secure location?"
    My understanding is that the starter does have the
    discretion to either release the swimmers if someone is off
    balance/falling
    . I may be wrong on this but I don't think he/she was not
    required to DQ Thorpe.

    That being said, and again I have not seen the video, this
    sure sounds like an absolute bone head idiotic move by
    Thorpe. It looks like all he had to do was swim within 10
    seconds his best time to get into a decent lane in the
    finals. He had one job and one job only in the prelims -
    don't get DQ'd. He had no reason to take ANY risk.

    All swimmers owe a big thanks to Australian swimming. Just
    as no relay team will ever jump in the water again to
    celebrate a victory, I doubt anyone will ever fall off the
    blocks again in the prelims. Thanks guys!

    STP

    Tags:

  2. Brissie

    Brissie Guest

    >That being said, and again I have not seen the video, this
    >sure sounds like an absolute bone head idiotic move by
    >Thorpe. It looks like all he had to do was swim within 10
    >seconds his best time to get into a decent lane in the
    >finals. He had one job and one job only in the prelims -
    >don't get DQ'd. He had no reason to take ANY risk.

    He was trialing a new starting stance. It obviously
    didn't work.

  3. Brissie <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>That being said, and again I have not seen the video, this
    >>sure sounds like an absolute bone head idiotic move by
    >>Thorpe. It looks like all he had to do was swim within 10
    >>seconds his best time to get into a decent lane in the
    >>finals. He had one job and one job only in the prelims -
    >>don't get DQ'd. He had no reason to take ANY risk.
    >
    >He was trialing a new starting stance. It obviously
    >didn't work.

    In Masters Swimming you can start in the water. I always do
    it that way in the four hundred anyway. The youth all laugh
    at me, of course, but I don't care because my goggles always
    stay on... as does my speedo.

    martin

  4. Donald Graft

    Donald Graft Guest

    > He was trialing a new starting stance. It obviously
    > didn't work.

    Can you explain specifically what the innovation was versus
    his previous technique? Thank you.

    Don

  5. Colin Priest

    Colin Priest Guest

    He wasn't trialling a new stance. He switched from a track
    start to a traditional start about 12 months ago. There was
    nothing "new" about his start.

    "Donald Graft" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s04...
    > > He was trialing a new starting stance. It obviously
    > > didn't work.
    >
    > Can you explain specifically what the innovation was
    > versus his previous technique? Thank you.
    >
    > Don

  6. Brissie

    Brissie Guest

    On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:03:13 GMT, "Donald Graft" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> He was trialing a new starting stance. It obviously
    >> didn't work.
    >
    >Can you explain specifically what the innovation was versus
    >his previous technique? Thank you.

    He was using the track start, but for this meet was
    experimenting with both his feet together.

  7. Colin Priest

    Colin Priest Guest

    He's being doing that for more than a year. It's not an
    innovation.

    news:[email protected]...