Aussies help rest of world learn swimming rules!

Stp

Guest
Thorpe was disqualified in the prelims??????? I haven't seen
the video but as a part time amateur swim official, I'm hard
pressed to see how anyone could have the balls to make that
call. Has the ref gone to an "undisclosed secure location?"
My understanding is that the starter does have the
discretion to either release the swimmers if someone is off
balance/falling
. I may be wrong on this but I don't think he/she was not
required to DQ Thorpe.

That being said, and again I have not seen the video, this
sure sounds like an absolute bone head idiotic move by
Thorpe. It looks like all he had to do was swim within 10
seconds his best time to get into a decent lane in the
finals. He had one job and one job only in the prelims -
don't get DQ'd. He had no reason to take ANY risk.

All swimmers owe a big thanks to Australian swimming. Just
as no relay team will ever jump in the water again to
celebrate a victory, I doubt anyone will ever fall off the
blocks again in the prelims. Thanks guys!

STP

>That being said, and again I have not seen the video, this
>sure sounds like an absolute bone head idiotic move by
>Thorpe. It looks like all he had to do was swim within 10
>seconds his best time to get into a decent lane in the
>finals. He had one job and one job only in the prelims -
>don't get DQ'd. He had no reason to take ANY risk.

He was trialing a new starting stance. It obviously
didn't work.

Brissie <[email protected]> wrote:

>>That being said, and again I have not seen the video, this
>>sure sounds like an absolute bone head idiotic move by
>>Thorpe. It looks like all he had to do was swim within 10
>>seconds his best time to get into a decent lane in the
>>finals. He had one job and one job only in the prelims -
>>don't get DQ'd. He had no reason to take ANY risk.
>
>He was trialing a new starting stance. It obviously
>didn't work.

In Masters Swimming you can start in the water. I always do
it that way in the four hundred anyway. The youth all laugh
at me, of course, but I don't care because my goggles always
stay on... as does my speedo.

martin

> He was trialing a new starting stance. It obviously
> didn't work.

Can you explain specifically what the innovation was versus
his previous technique? Thank you.

Don

He wasn't trialling a new stance. He switched from a track
start to a traditional start about 12 months ago. There was
nothing "new" about his start.

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:03:13 GMT, "Donald Graft" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> He was trialing a new starting stance. It obviously
>> didn't work.
>
>Can you explain specifically what the innovation was versus
>his previous technique? Thank you.

He was using the track start, but for this meet was
experimenting with both his feet together.

He's being doing that for more than a year. It's not an
innovation.

news:[email protected]...