Aussies make Philly USPRO results look good

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/jan06/AORC06/?id=results/AORC066

When is third place first place? At the USPRO championships in
Philadelphia if places 1 and 2 did not have a US license, a 3rd-placed
American could take their jersey. (I never was terribly offended by
that but some people were.) But the Australian road championships
have gone that one better - if you can insure that you only get beat by
U23 whippersnappers, you may still pick up the Elite (aka "old`guys")
jersey. Not only do you get the jersey for a year, but afterwards you
can wear green and yellow donuts on your jersey sleeves.

No disrespect to Russell van Hout, the Elite 3rd place champion.
It's not his fault the rules didn't make any sense.

[email protected] wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/jan06/AORC06/?id=results/AORC066
>
> When is third place first place? At the USPRO championships in
> Philadelphia if places 1 and 2 did not have a US license, a 3rd-placed
> American could take their jersey. (I never was terribly offended by
> that but some people were.) But the Australian road championships
> have gone that one better - if you can insure that you only get beat by
> U23 whippersnappers, you may still pick up the Elite (aka "old`guys")
> jersey. Not only do you get the jersey for a year, but afterwards you
> can wear green and yellow donuts on your jersey sleeves.
>
> No disrespect to Russell van Hout, the Elite 3rd place champion.
> It's not his fault the rules didn't make any sense.

dumbass,

in canada the same system is used most years, the elite and u-23 fields
race together but are classified separately.

it is weird espoirs would finish 1-2, but it tells you something about
the depth of aussie road cycling (with the caveat though that the race
is during the european off-season).

"amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> dumbass,
>
> in canada the same system is used most years, the elite and u-23 fields
> race together but are classified separately.
>
> it is weird espoirs would finish 1-2, but it tells you something about
> the depth of aussie road cycling (with the caveat though that the race
> is during the european off-season).

Does Gerald Ciolek's win indicate the depth of German road cycling?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2005/jun05/germany05/germany052

it is weird espoirs would finish 1-2, but it tells you something about
> the depth of aussie road cycling

dumbass. stupidest post of the new year.......no caveat needed.

cp

Were the rules clear before the start? That is, did some of the
elites let the U-23s go ahead because they were not competing for the
same placings?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> Were the rules clear before the start? That is, did some of the
> elites let the U-23s go ahead because they were not competing for the
> same placings?

There was a similar situation in NZ Road Nats this year. Gordy McCauley
was off the front with Clinton Avery (U-23) and they worked together.
Gordy let Clinton take the line honours.

On that note, watch out for Clinton Avery in MTB cross-country at the
Commonwealth Games in March. He's just taken out Road U-23 nats and MTB
X-country Nats, beating the No. 2 in the Commonwealth in the process.

Hopefully watch out for Gordy too, but a car took him on in December and
he's got a broken wrist and some ugly facial scars.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> Were the rules clear before the start? That is, did some of the
> elites let the U-23s go ahead because they were not competing for the
> same placings?

going by the report it sounds like there was a break of six with
espoirs and elites and they duked it out for the win.

what is odd is that previously under UCI rules riders on div I/II teams
could not qualify for the espoir category (i don't know what the
current rule is for protour riders).

walker, it appears rides for the rabobank elite team, yet under the
rules he is classified as an espoir. so this might be a quirk of the
aussie rules.