Aussies make Philly USPRO results look good

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Jan 14, 2006.

  1. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/jan06/AORC06/?id=results/AORC066

    When is third place first place? At the USPRO championships in
    Philadelphia if places 1 and 2 did not have a US license, a 3rd-placed
    American could take their jersey. (I never was terribly offended by
    that but some people were.) But the Australian road championships
    have gone that one better - if you can insure that you only get beat by
    U23 whippersnappers, you may still pick up the Elite (aka "old`guys")
    jersey. Not only do you get the jersey for a year, but afterwards you
    can wear green and yellow donuts on your jersey sleeves.

    No disrespect to Russell van Hout, the Elite 3rd place champion.
    It's not his fault the rules didn't make any sense.

    Tags:

  2. amit

    amit Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/jan06/AORC06/?id=results/AORC066
    >
    > When is third place first place? At the USPRO championships in
    > Philadelphia if places 1 and 2 did not have a US license, a 3rd-placed
    > American could take their jersey. (I never was terribly offended by
    > that but some people were.) But the Australian road championships
    > have gone that one better - if you can insure that you only get beat by
    > U23 whippersnappers, you may still pick up the Elite (aka "old`guys")
    > jersey. Not only do you get the jersey for a year, but afterwards you
    > can wear green and yellow donuts on your jersey sleeves.
    >
    > No disrespect to Russell van Hout, the Elite 3rd place champion.
    > It's not his fault the rules didn't make any sense.

    dumbass,

    in canada the same system is used most years, the elite and u-23 fields
    race together but are classified separately.

    it is weird espoirs would finish 1-2, but it tells you something about
    the depth of aussie road cycling (with the caveat though that the race
    is during the european off-season).

  3. "amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > dumbass,
    >
    > in canada the same system is used most years, the elite and u-23 fields
    > race together but are classified separately.
    >
    > it is weird espoirs would finish 1-2, but it tells you something about
    > the depth of aussie road cycling (with the caveat though that the race
    > is during the european off-season).

    Does Gerald Ciolek's win indicate the depth of German road cycling?

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2005/jun05/germany05/germany052

  4. crit PRO

    crit PRO Guest

    it is weird espoirs would finish 1-2, but it tells you something about
    > the depth of aussie road cycling

    dumbass. stupidest post of the new year.......no caveat needed.

    cp

  5. Were the rules clear before the start? That is, did some of the
    elites let the U-23s go ahead because they were not competing for the
    same placings?

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  6. Stu Fleming

    Stu Fleming Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > Were the rules clear before the start? That is, did some of the
    > elites let the U-23s go ahead because they were not competing for the
    > same placings?

    There was a similar situation in NZ Road Nats this year. Gordy McCauley
    was off the front with Clinton Avery (U-23) and they worked together.
    Gordy let Clinton take the line honours.

    On that note, watch out for Clinton Avery in MTB cross-country at the
    Commonwealth Games in March. He's just taken out Road U-23 nats and MTB
    X-country Nats, beating the No. 2 in the Commonwealth in the process.

    Hopefully watch out for Gordy too, but a car took him on in December and
    he's got a broken wrist and some ugly facial scars.

  7. amit

    amit Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > Were the rules clear before the start? That is, did some of the
    > elites let the U-23s go ahead because they were not competing for the
    > same placings?

    going by the report it sounds like there was a break of six with
    espoirs and elites and they duked it out for the win.

    what is odd is that previously under UCI rules riders on div I/II teams
    could not qualify for the espoir category (i don't know what the
    current rule is for protour riders).

    walker, it appears rides for the rabobank elite team, yet under the
    rules he is classified as an espoir. so this might be a quirk of the
    aussie rules.