Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Avanti Blade vs. Apollo Allegro

Started by dave911 · · Last activity · 9 posts · 2,157 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
23 March 2004
Last activity
13 April 2004
Original author
dave911
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,157
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A few stores have recommended both, but one place that doesn't stock either mentioned that the Avanti has better quality parts. Price difference is negligible.

    Any ideas? I'm using it for commuting and 40-50km rides on the weekend, but from what I've seen, most hybrids encourage a couch-on-wheels type seating position that I really don't like. These two speeder bikes fit my price range, but is there some flaw that should prevent me from buying either of them? Which is better?

    (also: thanks in advance)

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by dave911
    A few stores have recommended both, but one place that doesn't stock either mentioned that the Avanti has better quality parts. Price difference is negligible.

    Any ideas? I'm using it for commuting and 40-50km rides on the weekend, but from what I've seen, most hybrids encourage a couch-on-wheels type seating position that I really don't like. These two speeder bikes fit my price range, but is there some flaw that should prevent me from buying either of them? Which is better?

    (also: thanks in advance)

    The blade is noice

    Avanti have always done good 'bang-for-buck'
    What are the relative specs?
    Dont get duped by the ol' "lets-upgrade-the-rear-derailleur" trick into thinking everything on the bike is of that quality

    If youre commuting, you will probably want to consider is there enough room for mudguards (altho some swear by NOT using them. go figure).
    There is a nice Blue one often parked in our underground carpark at work. I shall pay more attention this arvo..,

  3. Thanks for the advice!

    Specs on the Apollo:

    Frame: 7005
    Fork: Steel
    Crankset: Truvative Alloy
    F. Der: C102
    R. Der: RD2200
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio 24 speed Rapid Fire Shifters.
    Cassette: HG50 8 speed
    Hubs: Alloy Parallax Q/R
    Rims: Alex Double Wall
    Brakes: Tektro Linear Mini Pull
    Wheels: Alex DA-16 double wall Alloy rims; Stainless steel spokes & quick release front and rear hubs.

    and the Avanti

    Frame 7005 Alloy with Replaceable Hanger
    Fork Cro-mo Ahead with 1-1/8" Steerer
    Brake Levers Shimano EF29
    Brakes Tektro RX1
    Shifters Shimano EF29 24spd
    Front Derail Shiamno C051
    Rear Derail Shimano Acera
    Crankset Truvativ Isoflow Triple, 28-38-48
    Bottom Bracket Truvativ Cartridge
    Chain KMC HG50
    Pedals Resin with Half Clip
    Headset Cartridge Ahead 1-1/8"
    Stem Alloy Ahead
    Bars Alloy Straight
    Hubs Alloy 8spd QR Front and Rear with Cassette
    Cassette Shimano CS-HG30 11-30 8spd
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Rims/Wheels Weinmann DA16 Alloy Double Walls
    Tyres Kenda Kwest 700 x 28c
    Seat Post Alloy 27.2mm Micro Adjust with Suspension
    Saddle Dual Density Comfort Sport

  4. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by dave911
    Thanks for the advice!

    Specs on the Apollo:

    Frame: 7005
    Fork: Steel
    Crankset: Truvative Alloy
    F. Der: C102
    R. Der: RD2200
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio 24 speed Rapid Fire Shifters.
    Cassette: HG50 8 speed
    Hubs: Alloy Parallax Q/R
    Rims: Alex Double Wall
    Brakes: Tektro Linear Mini Pull
    Wheels: Alex DA-16 double wall Alloy rims; Stainless steel spokes & quick release front and rear hubs.


    and the Avanti

    Frame 7005 Alloy with Replaceable Hanger
    Fork Cro-mo Ahead with 1-1/8" Steerer
    Brake Levers Shimano EF29
    Brakes Tektro RX1
    Shifters Shimano EF29 24spd
    Front Derail Shiamno C051
    Rear Derail Shimano Acera
    Crankset Truvativ Isoflow Triple, 28-38-48
    Bottom Bracket Truvativ Cartridge
    Chain KMC HG50
    Pedals Resin with Half Clip
    Headset Cartridge Ahead 1-1/8"
    Stem Alloy Ahead
    Bars Alloy Straight
    Hubs Alloy 8spd QR Front and Rear with Cassette
    Cassette Shimano CS-HG30 11-30 8spd
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Rims/Wheels Weinmann DA16 Alloy Double Walls
    Tyres Kenda Kwest 700 x 28c
    Seat Post Alloy 27.2mm Micro Adjust with Suspension
    Saddle Dual Density Comfort Sport

    Personally I'd go the Blade. components are only marginally different but the Avanti frames are usually very good

    which area are you in?
    Worth checking your LBS as there are quite often runouts of models lingering from last year's range

    what's the price on these (ie what's your budget)

  5. Caulfield area. I'm probably condemning myself to all kinds of tramtrack-related accidents with the thin tyres, but there you go. Fitzroy Cycles sells the Avanti, Bikes Direct in Dandenong has an Allegro, and a few other stores stock the Blade - but they seem to be running out fast.

    $600.00 is my limit. Blades stock at $580.00 (Apollo $30 less), but my only deterrent with the obvious Fitzroy Cycles route was one totally incompetent, dangerously useless sales rep. Also, he made some crack about the (admittedly [censored]) steelframe with downtube shifters that I'd parked outside.

    But as long as Fitzroy's repairs section is decent, I shouldn't have any complaints. The fate of my six hundred dollars RESTS IN YOUR HANDS, kind of.

    (unless there's another option I haven't yet considered. No luck with secondhand so far)

  6. dave911 <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Caulfield area. I'm probably condemning myself to all
    kinds of tramtrack- related accidents with the thin tyres,
    but there you go. Fitzroy Cycles sells the Avanti, Bikes
    Direct in Dandenong has an Allegro, and a few other stores
    stock the Blade - but they seem to be running out fast.

    $600.00 is my limit. Blades stock at $580.00 (Apollo $30
    less), but my only deterrent with the obvious Fitzroy
    Cycles route was one totally incompetent, dangerously
    useless sales rep. Also, he made some crack about the
    (admittedly [censored]) steelframe with downtube shifters that
    I'd parked outside.

    But as long as Fitzroy's repairs section is decent, I
    shouldn't have any complaints. The fate of my six hundred
    dollars RESTS IN YOUR HANDS, kind of.

    (unless there's another option I haven't yet considered.
    No luck with secondhand so far)

    MBC Prahran (bikes.com.aubikes.com.au) has the Shogun
    Metro SE - Mens 24 Speed, almost identically equipped to
    the Allegro, marked down from $549 to $449. It's worth a
    decent look. I'd give the Blade the edge in equipment over
    both the others but obviously there's a fair gap between
    $580 and $449.

    --

    "I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two
    hours of bloody, barbarous torture in gloating detail is
    considered indicia of religious piety, whereas a mere second
    gazing upon a woman's breast is cause for outraged
    apoplexy." Betty Bowers,
    bettybowers.commelgibsonpassion.html

  7. As fate would have it, I had to make exactly the same decision at the end of Feb.

    I ended up going with the Apollo (from Bayswater).

    I must say I am pretty happy with it. I have made one modification and added some bar ends. This has made SOOOO much difference, especially on the climbs.

    I commute to work - only about 5 km - and it handles well on the bike tracks (Scotchman's creek).
    I have even taken it out on beach road on a Sunday or two with some friends with some serious road bikes and have clocked up 30 kms each time with them.
    I took it on the Great Melbourne Bike Ride a couple of weeks ago and it did OK.

    My only problems with it are:
    - The low gear is possibly a little too low. I tend not to use it much at all
    - The front and rear deraillers needed a bit of fine-tuning by a knowledgable friend but run well now
    - It is hard to go really fast on them (> 55+ kms), even down-hill. This could just be that I am not that good a rider though ...
    - The Avanti looks a little bit nicer 🙂

    So if your needs are similar to the ones I have expressed below than I would recommend it.

    Good luck 🙂

    Mark

  8. Thanks, everyone. Ended up going with the Blade; frame was lighter, and I preferred the feel of it to my testrides on the Allegro.

  9. Guys,

    Am I glad I found this topic. I have been agonising over which flat bar bike to buy for 6 months.

    I bought a cheap Merida Kalahari and put Continental road tyres on it as a temp measure, too slow now.

    After looking at Merida Speeders, Avanti Blades (all), Apollo Allegro, Raceline Forza, and getting really confused, my Physiotherapist suggested, at my age (54), carbon forks and seat post etc would give me more comfort.

    So the decision was then made this week:

    No 1: Felt SR71 (53cm)
    No 2: Avanti Blade Pro (M)
    No 3: Avanti Blade Comp (CrMo forks) (M)

    I tried to order the Felt today, sorry, not available till September or later, OK put me on the wait list, MUST HAVE!!

    What do I buy in the interim? Apollo Allegro looks cool, well for 54, real cool!, Bugger, the Avanti Blade Sport is on local special, $699, Apollo Allegro local special $540, decisions, decisions, then I found this posting, Apollo won't handle! I wondered why it is weighed down with steel forks, to keep the front end on the ground.

    After riding the Blade Comp, wow! Avanti does go where you point it.

    So what to do now?

    Let you now when I do!!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.