Avg Power using 705 and PT

psmits

May 19, 2003
Just need to clarify if the average power showing on a 705 via a PT is accurate. I have downloaded to WKO+3 and there is a difference in what is recorded in WKO and on the 705. I just ask this because i was hoping to use the avg watts on the 705 when riding to usde in intervals etc

thanks

Make sure yoy have 'Smart Recording' turned off. That is was messes up the average power on the 705.

First of all, make sure you have Smart Recording disabled. You need to record every second for the PT data to be accurate.

If you have Zero Averaging turned on, that means all the moments you are producing zero watts will be included in the average (WKO also calculates AP in this way, so the two figures should be the same). So if you want to see the same AP in the display as you'll see later in WKO, then turn Zero Averaging on.

If you turn Zero Averaging off, the 705 display will show the average power exclusive of any stops, coasting, etc. This is probably what you currently have, hence the different figures in WKO. What I've found is that this figure ends up being a good guesstimate of my normative power, but whether that's true for anyone else depends on their riding style. These days I keep Zero Averaging on and calculate my NP on the fly in my head by estimating my VI.

Note that whether Zero Averaging is off or on, it's only the real-time display that's affected. The 705 records the same data either way as long as you have Every Second recording turned on.

smaryka said:
If you have Zero Averaging turned on, that means all the moments you are producing zero watts will be included in the average (WKO also calculates AP in this way, so the two figures should be the same). So if you want to see the same AP in the display as you'll see later in WKO, then turn Zero Averaging on.

Ah, that would explain a few things, I have always looked at the average power as told by WKO and just thought "WTF?" and moved on. It seems an odd way to calculate "average" power to me. So what you're saying is if I did a long climb at a constant 300W for 40 min and then coasted back down for 20 minutes, the 1 hour ride would show up as an "average power" for the hour in WKO as 200W?

886014 said:
Ah, that would explain a few things, I have always looked at the average power as told by WKO and just thought "WTF?" and moved on. It seems an odd way to calculate "average" power to me. So what you're saying is if I did a long climb at a constant 300W for 40 min and then coasted back down for 20 minutes, the 1 hour ride would show up as an "average power" for the hour in WKO as 200W?

Pretty much. That's why NP for those types of rides (where you're not riding steadily for the full 60 min) would be a more useful metric.

I also have PT &705 but can't seem to find the zero average on or off, any clues?

Thanks,

If you don't have it, you might not be up to date on the latest firmware. I believe it was added with 2.70, so update it to that or higher and then go into Settings > Data Recording. It will be an option along with Smart Recording. You want Zero Averaging on, Smart Recording off.