Avian b#@!$@d kamikaze

jim

Guest
Ever wondered what its like having a number 13 chook piffed at your head
from close range?

I was swooped four times in a succession by a magpie behind the Target Home
centre in Greensborough this morning - while I was going a-pace

It made contact each time and drew blood.

Now I seek vengence!

jim wrote:
> Ever wondered what its like having a number 13 chook piffed at your head
> from close range?
>
> I was swooped four times in a succession by a magpie behind the Target Home
> centre in Greensborough this morning - while I was going a-pace
>
> It made contact each time and drew blood.

Where was your helmet? I've been swooped dozens of times, and all I
get is the odd beakdent in my helmet.

Bleve wrote:
> jim wrote:
>> Ever wondered what its like having a number 13 chook piffed at your head
>> from close range?
>>
>> I was swooped four times in a succession by a magpie behind the Target Home
>> centre in Greensborough this morning - while I was going a-pace
>>
>> It made contact each time and drew blood.

> Where was your helmet? I've been swooped dozens of times, and all I
> get is the odd beakdent in my helmet.

The smart ones know how to go below helmet level, which is how the
Research one drew blood with me last year. They're evil and smart.

DaveB

DaveB said:
The smart ones know how to go below helmet level, which is how the
Research one drew blood with me last year. They're evil and smart.

DaveB
Monsterman is preparing for a magpie killing spree in Brisvegas. I was swooped at least 15 times by one little feathered f*cker this morning. He started at the corner of Grey and Vulture St South Brisbane, and the little pox-ridden future hackey-sack was still having a read hot go at the red-brick hotel. That has got be over 2km away !!!!! I dont know how many red lights I ran. Little sh*t got my ear first crack. He's Dead. Dead as a dodo. Stinking magpieses. Each time I've ridden in the last week I've been bombed. And no I dont have any eyes on my helmet or cable ties either. Nor will I try them. I will take out the problem at the source. BANG BANG F*CKIN BANG !!!

Phew. Now that feels better. Off to the third draw to find some cable ties ... ... ...

DaveB said:
The smart ones know how to go below helmet level, which is how the
Research one drew blood with me last year. They're evil and smart.

I was targeted at 10 different locations over the weekend. Those Magpies back home sure know how to disrupt ITT training! I don't think they've seen many cyclists though, no direct hits. I almost got one myself, 60km/h+ full aero tuck down a hill - I lined up a maggie standing in the middle of the road - closer closer closer *wholly ****, its not going to move* a quick flick and I just missed it. I usually find lining things up from afar the best way for them to get out of the way, this stupid bird was the exception. I guess he's now off blogging that he was swooped by some stupid cyclist.. on his "flyspace.com" account no doubt. ;)

In fact, I don't think even the cyclists back home have seen many cyclists - not much response from the plodders out in the middle of nowhere when I gave them a nod. A little girl playing outside her house had it worked out "look daddy, a racing bike!" she yelled as I went past. yep!

cheers,
GPL

monsterman said:
Our friends over the ditch have got their sh*t together:cool:

See http://tinyurl.com/eklb5

Note the sections on effective control measures towards the bottow of the tapes. Heh heh heh heh :)

"Their distinctive flute like call (quardle oodle ardle wardle doodle) is usually heard in the early morning or evening."

I do like their singing... not sure about the doodle bit though!

jim said:
Ever wondered what its like having a number 13 chook piffed at your head
from close range?

I was swooped four times in a succession by a magpie behind the Target Home
centre in Greensborough this morning - while I was going a-pace

It made contact each time and drew blood.

Now I seek vengence!

Apparently the one atop Shady Creek hill (near Warragul Vic) during the Masters ITT on Saturday took to sitting on a rider's back, whilst they were summiting the climb, and pecking his helmet. It's notorious!! Welcome to Warragul! heheh

monsterman wrote:
> Our friends over the ditch have got their sh*t together:cool:
>
> See *http://tinyurl.com/eklb5*
>
> Note the sections on effective control measures towards the bottow of
> the tapes. Heh heh heh heh :)

Hmm, very tempted to try to get hold of that alphachloralose for the
Indian mynahs around my place. They will clean up any quantity of dog
food, so I have to feed my dog at night.

Donga

monsterman wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
> >

> > The smart ones know how to go below helmet level, which is how the
> > Research one drew blood with me last year. They're evil and smart.
> >
> > DaveBMonsterman is preparing for a magpie killing spree in Brisvegas. I was

> swooped at least 15 times by one little feathered f*cker this morning.
> He started at the corner of Grey and Vulture St South Brisbane, and the
> little pox-ridden future hackey-sack was still having a read hot go at
> the red-brick hotel. That has got be over 2km away !!!!! I dont know
> how many red lights I ran. Little sh*t got my ear first crack. He's
> Dead. Dead as a dodo. Stinking magpieses. Each time I've ridden in the
> last week I've been bombed. And no I dont have any eyes on my helmet or
> cable ties either. Nor will I try them. I will take out the problem at
> the source. BANG BANG F*CKIN BANG !!!
>
> Phew. Now that feels better. Off to the third draw to find some cable
> ties ... ... ...

Have you been getting into Abby's Claratyne?

PS: the Chelmer Bomber still swooped me with three long cable ties on
my helmet, but didn't hit - but that could have been due to the pump I
was waving.

Donga

They've been pretty quiet around here so far, but yesterday I watched
four of them chase a fox right across a paddock. Quite a sight...

--
Shane Stanley

Shane Stanley wrote:
> They've been pretty quiet around here so far, but yesterday I watched
> four of them chase a fox right across a paddock. Quite a sight...

It's this time of year I regret I can't let loose with my .222 - I think
Monsterman would be borrowing said firearm if it was legal!

There seem to be very few magpies at the local range, for some reason. Though
the range officer would instantly ask a member to leave if they were seen
potting native animals, of course.

--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
Catherine Aird

greensborough just must be a nasty area for the bastards. i cant ride 5 mins out of my driveway without being attacked.

and yes, that research one nearly pecked my eye out last year as well. i had a nasty scratch on my nose.

Has anyone tried a cap gun to scare them off?

I'm thinking a little toy cap gun strapped to the handlebar instead of
my bell. When they get close enough on the first swoop, let it crack.

Might be fun in road rage scenarios, too ;-)

Shane Stanley said:
They've been pretty quiet around here so far, but yesterday I watched four of them chase a fox right across a paddock. Quite a sight...

Noticed none around here. Maybe the stroppy Indian Mynahs and Wood Pigeons have cleared them out of the area?

Roast maggie? Hmmm, from memory, carnivorious birds tend to be gamey in flavour and a tad stringy.

Duracell Bunny wrote:
> Shane Stanley wrote:
> > They've been pretty quiet around here so far, but yesterday I watched
> > four of them chase a fox right across a paddock. Quite a sight...
> >

> It's this time of year I regret I can't let loose with my .222 - I think
> Monsterman would be borrowing said firearm if it was legal!
>
> There seem to be very few magpies at the local range, for some reason. Though
> the range officer would instantly ask a member to leave if they were seen
> potting native animals, of course.

I was going to quip "most intelligent species avoid shooting ranges",
then I thought about the exception.

Donga

The magpie on Railway Parade South near Jordanville station (Chadstone) is a persistent bird. He has got my helmet once. Next I took to waving my arm over my head as he swooped. This stopped him making contact, but he did make 4 attack runs at me. You have to remember to avoid the bird, the cars and the kerbs.

I tried riding on the other side of the railway line. No go - it's still his territory and he made 5 attack runs at me.

My recent technique has been to stop 200m before the magpie territory and gather a handful of gravel or similar sized eucalyptus seed pods. When I ride through the magpie territory I watch him position himself on the power line ready for me to go past, then as I go past he swoops down behind. When he gets close behind I throw the stones/seed pods into the air. Twice I've got him and he has retreated immediately to his tree.

One guy riding the opposite direction has a piece of dowel in his backpack with some white cloth on the top (surrender flag?). When he rides through the magpie territory he holds the dowel and waves it above his head.

Donga wrote:
> monsterman wrote:
>
>>Our friends over the ditch have got their sh*t together:cool:
>>
>>See *http://tinyurl.com/eklb5*
>>
>>Note the sections on effective control measures towards the bottow of
>>the tapes. Heh heh heh heh :)

> Hmm, very tempted to try to get hold of that alphachloralose for the
> Indian mynahs around my place. They will clean up any quantity of dog
> food, so I have to feed my dog at night.

You are feeding the dog too much. Cut their food in half and then cut a
gain until they start including indian mynah in their diet.

Friend up the road had the same problem with a foxy and sparrows. Idiot
would bark at them if they landed on the garage roof, but if they flew
down to the dog bowl and ate his niblets, he was quiet. They could even
walk all over him as he snoozed in the sun.

Terryc wrote:
> Donga wrote:
> > monsterman wrote:
> >
> >>Our friends over the ditch have got their sh*t together:cool:
> >>
> >>See *http://tinyurl.com/eklb5*
> >>
> >>Note the sections on effective control measures towards the bottow of
> >>the tapes. Heh heh heh heh :)

> > Hmm, very tempted to try to get hold of that alphachloralose for the
> > Indian mynahs around my place. They will clean up any quantity of dog
> > food, so I have to feed my dog at night.

> You are feeding the dog too much. Cut their food in half and then cut a
> gain until they start including indian mynah in their diet.
>
> Friend up the road had the same problem with a foxy and sparrows. Idiot
> would bark at them if they landed on the garage roof, but if they flew
> down to the dog bowl and ate his niblets, he was quiet. They could even
> walk all over him as he snoozed in the sun.

They[ve got the dog spooked alright. I suspect she's either given up on
them being too fast, or they attack her in a pack and keep her cowed. I
found one of the birds coming inside once and the dog helped me catch
it ... yum yum.

Donga

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:35:18 +1000
Duracell Bunny <[email protected]> wrote:

> There seem to be very few magpies at the local range, for some reason. Though
> the range officer would instantly ask a member to leave if they were seen
> potting native animals, of course.

Just yell "PULL" at the right moment and apologise for missing the
skeet.

Zebee