Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Avocet Touring Tires

Started by Don DeMair · · Last activity · 75 posts · 2,813 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 July 2004
Last activity
15 August 2004
Original author
Don DeMair
Posts
75
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,813
Views / 30 days
22

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 75
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for a good touring tire. One that will be puncture resistant,
    especially in the rain. I've tried the Specialized Armadillo and was pretty
    happy with it, I may buy it again. The other tire I tried was the
    Continental Top Touring. I found this tire to ride a bit harsh.

    I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think the
    inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more flats. I also
    don't believe that tread pattern does anything to improve wet or dry grip on
    the road. And I don't use my touring bike off-road.

    Right now, I'm considering the Avocet FasGrip Duro Plus. Probably in a
    700x32. Anyone have experience with this tire?

    -Don

  2. I use the road and crit versions of the FasGrip and find them to be
    excellent. I would expect the 32mm to be also.

    David

    Don DeMair said:

    I'm looking for a good touring tire. One that will be puncture resistant,
    especially in the rain. I've tried the Specialized Armadillo and was pretty
    happy with it, I may buy it again. The other tire I tried was the
    Continental Top Touring. I found this tire to ride a bit harsh.

    I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think the
    inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more flats. I also
    don't believe that tread pattern does anything to improve wet or dry grip on
    the road. And I don't use my touring bike off-road.

    Right now, I'm considering the Avocet FasGrip Duro Plus. Probably in a
    700x32. Anyone have experience with this tire?

    -Don

  3. Don DeMair said:

    Right now, I'm considering the Avocet FasGrip Duro Plus. Probably in a
    700x32. Anyone have experience with this tire?

    i've used the duro version (28mm) quite a bit in the past 2 years & and i have
    mixed feelings about it. it's a *NICE* tire, but it nicks up rather easily
    and somewhat less than half have worn out before i couldn't boot 'em. that
    may have been a bad batch, got me. they also don't do well against the
    dreaded goathead thorn but then again, nothing does. i'd forego the kevlar
    (it made no difference as far as i could tell and i used both). off-hand
    i'd say less than average for flat resistance.

    i hate conti tt2ks and the avocet cross iis i liked allright (rode those on a
    5400 mile tour). fwiw, i'll be touring on the 28mm duro later this summer
    for a couple of weeks (they're letting me have a vacation this year!).

    i don't have to quit for time off!!

    !!!!

    !!!!!!!!
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  4. "Don DeMair" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a good touring tire. One that will be puncture resistant,
    especially in the rain. I've tried the Specialized Armadillo and was


    pretty

    Quoted message said:

    happy with it, I may buy it again. The other tire I tried was the
    Continental Top Touring. I found this tire to ride a bit harsh.

    I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think the
    inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more flats. I also
    don't believe that tread pattern does anything to improve wet or dry grip


    on

    Quoted message said:

    the road. And I don't use my touring bike off-road.


    I use the Avocet Cross Kevlar for commuting on my mountain bike for years ..
    works great .. never got a puncture.

    While a slick tire would certain improve traction on dry roads ... I don't
    see why you think a tread won't improve wet road traction ... unless your
    tire "contact point" is so small and your speed is so slow that you would
    not hydroplane in puddles. In the automotive (and motorcycle) world the
    main (if not the only) reason for tread in a street tire is for wet weather
    use.

    Richard in Boston, MA, USA

  5. "Don DeMair" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think the
    inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more flats. I also
    don't believe that tread pattern does anything to improve wet or dry grip
    on the road. And I don't use my touring bike off-road.

    Richard Amirault said:

    While a slick tire would certain improve traction on dry roads ... I don't
    see why you think a tread won't improve wet road traction ... unless your
    tire "contact point" is so small and your speed is so slow that you would
    not hydroplane in puddles. In the automotive (and motorcycle) world the
    main (if not the only) reason for tread in a street tire is for wet weather
    use.

    Hydroplaning is an issue for cars and motorcycles (though a rare one: in
    my 44 years of driving, I've only experienced hydroplaning once.)

    However, hydroplaning is impossible for bicycles, so this is a non-issue.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_h.html#hydroplaning for a detailed
    explanation of this.

    Sheldon "Baldy" Brown
    +--------------------------------------------------+
    | Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees |
    | things as they are, not as they ought to be. |
    | --Ambrose Bierce |
    +--------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. "Don DeMair" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a good touring tire. One that will be puncture
    resistant, especially in the rain. I've tried the Specialized
    Armadillo and was pretty happy with it, I may buy it again. The
    other tire I tried was the Continental Top Touring. I found this
    tire to ride a bit harsh.

    I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think
    the inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more
    flats. I also don't believe that tread pattern does anything to
    improve wet or dry grip on the road. And I don't use my touring bike
    off-road.

    Absolutely the same reasons I turfed the horrible "hybrid" tyres my bike
    came with and went for the Avocets.

    Quoted message said:

    Right now, I'm considering the Avocet FasGrip Duro Plus. Probably in
    a 700x32. Anyone have experience with this tire?

    I have the 32K FasGrips. I love them but I've only had them a couple of
    months so I can't really comment on durability.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  7. Richard Amirault said:

    While a slick tire would certain improve traction on dry roads ... I don't
    see why you think a tread won't improve wet road traction ... unless your
    tire "contact point" is so small and your speed is so slow that you would
    not hydroplane in puddles.

    You are perfectly correct, in a sense; what you may not know is that your
    "unless" criteria are true at all bicycle speeds.

    Tyre profile is also an issue - round tyres (like bicycles) are harder to
    aquaplane than square ones like on motor cars. Typically a bicycle tyre
    would be expected to aquaplane at 70-100mph.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!

  8. Sheldon Brown wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Hydroplaning is an issue for cars and motorcycles (though a rare one: in
    my 44 years of driving, I've only experienced hydroplaning once.)

    However, hydroplaning is impossible for bicycles, so this is a non-issue.

    Aquaplaning is the term, and certainly has happened to me riding a bicycle.
    Speed of about 40mph downhill, sheet of water over the road, bucketing it
    down. Apply brakes to slow to negotiate parked car, bike drifts towards
    gutter maintaining speed, look down, front wheel locked so release brakes.
    Balance was retained with slow response to steering efforts. Rare but
    possible.

    TJ

  9. Richard Amirault said:

    While a slick tire would certain improve traction on dry roads ... I don't
    see why you think a tread won't improve wet road traction ...

    You imagine that it would improve wet road traction, but that is not based
    on anything other than marketing.

    Quoted message said:

    unless your
    tire "contact point" is so small and your speed is so slow that you
    would not hydroplane in puddles.

    All bikes have a contact region "so small" and speed "so slow" that they
    will not hydroplane in any puddle at any attainable speed.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
    _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
    (_)/ (_) |

  10. Trevor Jeffrey said:


    Sheldon Brown wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Hydroplaning is an issue for cars and motorcycles (though a rare one: in
    my 44 years of driving, I've only experienced hydroplaning once.)

    Really? I've experienced it more than that. Scary.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    However, hydroplaning is impossible for bicycles, so this is a non-issue.

    Aquaplaning is the term, and certainly has happened to me riding a bicycle.

    Hydroplaning is a perfectly reasonable term for the phenomenon, and it has
    not happened to you riding a bicycle.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond
    _`\(,_ |
    (_)/ (_) |

  11. Sheldon Brown said:

    hydroplaning is impossible for bicycles

    I don't disbelieve you, but why then do almost all tires for flat-bar
    bikes have tread? I've hardly seen any 26" tire (or 28" non-racer bike
    tire) with a smooth surface...

    --
    Størker Moe
    '86 DBS 5-speed, '97 GT Avalanche, '98 Trek 800, '01 Trek Fuel 90

    Email Storker(DOT)Moe(AT)chemeng(DOT)ntnu(DOT)no
    WWW http://www.chemeng.ntnu.no/~stmoe/

  12. I pontificated:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hydroplaning is impossible for bicycles



    St=F8rker Moe asked:

    Quoted message said:

    =20
    I don't disbelieve you, but why then do almost all tires for flat-bar=20
    bikes have tread? I've hardly seen any 26" tire (or 28" non-racer bike =

    Quoted message said:

    tire) with a smooth surface...

    In a word: marketing.

    It is very counterintuitive to ride on smooth tires. Most people, when=20
    they see slick tires, the first thing that goes through their head is=20
    the thought that they must be very slippery in wet conditions.

    It's easier to cater to this misconception than to try to educate=20
    potential customers.

    I remember selling the Bridgestone RB-T touring bike back in the 90s,=20
    which came with Avocet Duro tires (28 mm, marked 32 back then.)

    When you would show the bike to a customer the first thing they would=20
    say was "aren't those tires slippery in wet conditions?"

    If you could get them to test ride the bike, they were liable to fall in =

    love with the way it rode. They would usualy attribute this to some=20
    magical quality of the frame design or materials. Mant customers would=20
    insist that the tires be swapped out before they'd take delivery...

    Sheldon "Bald Is Beautiful" Brown
    +------------------------------------------------+
    | You can get more with a kind word and a gun |
    | than you can with a kind word alone. |
    | -- Al Capone |
    +------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  13. "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    I pontificated:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hydroplaning is impossible for bicycles



    Størker Moe asked:

    Quoted message said:


    I don't disbelieve you, but why then do almost all tires for flat-bar
    bikes have tread? I've hardly seen any 26" tire (or 28" non-racer bike
    tire) with a smooth surface...

    In a word: marketing.

    It is very counterintuitive to ride on smooth tires. Most people, when
    they see slick tires, the first thing that goes through their head is
    the thought that they must be very slippery in wet conditions.

    It's easier to cater to this misconception than to try to educate
    potential customers.

    I remember selling the Bridgestone RB-T touring bike back in the 90s,
    which came with Avocet Duro tires (28 mm, marked 32 back then.)

    When you would show the bike to a customer the first thing they would
    say was "aren't those tires slippery in wet conditions?"

    If you could get them to test ride the bike, they were liable to fall in
    love with the way it rode. They would usualy attribute this to some
    magical quality of the frame design or materials. Mant customers would
    insist that the tires be swapped out before they'd take delivery...

    Sheldon "Bald Is Beautiful" Brown

    Again, Sheldon is right on point. Maybe Moe should also read the Bicycle
    FAQ:

    Tires with smooth treads (aka slicks):

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-11.html

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon Brown said:

    I pontificated:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hydroplaning is impossible for bicycles



    Størker Moe asked:

    Quoted message said:


    I don't disbelieve you, but why then do almost all tires for flat-bar
    bikes have tread? I've hardly seen any 26" tire (or 28" non-racer bike
    tire) with a smooth surface...

    In a word: marketing.

    No, it's because flat bar bikes are mountain bikes or hybrids, meant to
    be ridden on dirt. Slicks work poorly on dirt but great on pavement.

    --
    Mike DeMicco <[email hidden]>
    (Remove the REMOVE_THIS from my email address to reply.)

  15. David L. Johnson wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:


    Hydroplaning is a perfectly reasonable term for the phenomenon, and it has
    not happened to you riding a bicycle.

    I am also certain that the above respondent was not with me on the said
    journey of which I bear testament. The respondent has no knowledge of my
    experience other than what has been presented to this newsgroup. Ignorance
    of the facts, whether with intent for the purpose of callous jibes or
    otherwise, cannot in any way whatsoever be termed as evidence. The
    repetition of falsehoods does not bring them any nearer to fact than the
    infinitesimal distance that they stood fifteen years previously.
    I experienced aquaplaning whilst riding a bicycle. The speed was
    approx. 40mph, on a decline with 20-25mm standing water. Tyre section was
    25-28mm, pressure 90psi tyres were most probably Michelin HI-LITES 700x25c
    rim Super Champion Mixte.
    Treaded tyres of the same construction and materials have an enhanced
    grip, in the wet, over their otherwise similar non-treaded brethren. The
    raised portion of the tread gives a higher pressure contact patch than is
    possible with a bald tyre. The regions of high pressure force the water
    between the road surface and the tyre to migrate to the areas of low
    pressure thus allowing the tyre to contact the road and provide stiction.
    Directional stability of the wheel is assured in usual wet conditions due to
    the tyre contact patch being of good length.
    In order for a bald tyre to function in the wet, extreme inflation
    pressure is required to attempt to match the penetrative qualities of a
    treaded tyre with its associated regions of high pressure. The extreme
    inflation pressure shortens the tyre contact patch to a length where
    insufficient lateral stability of the tyre is available resulting in
    skittish behaviour in the dry and sideslip in the wet though corners. The
    above is assuming a nominal wheel diameter of 27", riders of 48" wheels and
    above may find adequacy in bald, hard and narrow tyres.
    Lower inflation pressures are also more comfortable, which translates
    to less rider stress, which allows greater mileage and speed per ride, per
    period, per season.
    TJ

  16. Trevor Jeffrey said:

    David L. Johnson wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Hydroplaning is a perfectly reasonable term for the phenomenon, and it has
    not happened to you riding a bicycle.


    I am also certain that the above respondent was not with me on the said
    journey of which I bear testament. The respondent has no knowledge of my
    experience other than what has been presented to this newsgroup.

    Big deal. If you told us you'd rode along the flat at 70mph and jumped to
    the moon, that would be physically impossible too.

    Quoted message said:

    I experienced aquaplaning whilst riding a bicycle.

    No, you didn't. A total loss of wheel traction on a single-track vehicle
    will result in an immediate sideways fall.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!

  17. |> I experienced aquaplaning whilst riding a bicycle.
    |
    |No, you didn't. A total loss of wheel traction on a single-track vehicle
    |will result in an immediate sideways fall.

    Simple "loss of traction" does not ordinarily cause a rapidly traveling
    vehicle to suddenly fall on its side and take a spill. For instance,
    airplanes lose traction all the time, and they tend to leap into the air
    instead, often flying up into the wild blue yonder. It has something
    to do with conservation of momentum, and the bicycle's tendency to
    follow the path that its inertia dictates.

  18. St=F8rker Moe asked:

    Quoted message said:

    I don't disbelieve you, but why then do
    almost all tires for flat-bar bikes have
    tread? I've hardly seen any 26" tire (or
    28" non-racer bike tire) with a smooth
    surface...

    Marketing. In this "automobized" world, people have come to believe that
    _all_ tires need something to channel away water in wet conditions.
    While this is true for a flat surfaced car tire, which can skim across a
    wet surface (like a water ski does), it does not hold true for a round
    profiled one, which simply pushes water aside as it contacts the
    surface, like a snow plow.

    Now conceivablly you could go fast enough that the water doesn't have
    enough time to "get out of the way", but that speed must be ferociously
    fast. Just how fast would a deep-V boat hull have to go before it can
    completely aquaplane? That is ALL of it's hull on top of the water (no
    wake)?

    I have ridden bike tires with tread, both standard and inverted, and
    without. There is no difference in wet traction that have discerned.
    What the tread is made out of (rubber composition and stickyness) is
    what makes the main difference in bike tires.

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  19. Of course, my previous comments only apply to hard surfaces, like
    pavement of rock. In dirt, thread does have a purpose, it helps grab the
    loose surface.

    Quoted message said:

    Legal disclaimer: Done

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  20. Richard Amirault said:

    "Don DeMair" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a good touring tire. One that will be puncture resistant,
    especially in the rain. I've tried the Specialized Armadillo and was

    pretty

    Quoted message said:

    happy with it, I may buy it again. The other tire I tried was the
    Continental Top Touring. I found this tire to ride a bit harsh.

    I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think the
    inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more flats. I also
    don't believe that tread pattern does anything to improve wet or dry grip
    on the road. And I don't use my touring bike off-road.

    Quoted message said:

    While a slick tire would certain improve traction on dry roads ... I don't
    see why you think a tread won't improve wet road traction ... unless your
    tire "contact point" is so small and your speed is so slow that you would
    not hydroplane in puddles.

    The rule developed for estimating when hydroplaning conditions exist for
    landing planes which have smooth tires is that
    V(mph) >= 10 * tire pressure (psi).

    Since I generally run my tires at about 100 psi and keep my speed below
    100 mph I satisfy your condition that the "contact point is so small and
    your speed is so slow that you would not hydroplane."

    Quoted message said:

    In the automotive (and motorcycle) world the
    main (if not the only) reason for tread in a street tire is for wet weather
    use.

    With tire pressures around 30 psi and speeds over 55 mph hydroplaning
    becomes a serious problem.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.