General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Baby Brussels Sprout pix

Started by jay · · Last activity · 19 posts · 539 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 February 2006
Last activity
26 February 2006
Original author
jay
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
539
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We picked these up yesterday. It is the first time I've seen them
    available fresh.

    2 Photos

    http://photobucket.com/albums/e17/billyjeanking/?action=view&current=154d8970.jpg

  2. jay said:

    We picked these up yesterday. It is the first time I've seen them
    available fresh.

    Um, they look like...... brussel sprouts.... and your point is?

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  3. jay said:


    We picked these up yesterday. It is the first time I've seen them
    available fresh.

    2 Photos

    http://photobucket.com/albums/e17/billyjeanking/?action=view&current=154d8970.jpg

    They look lovely. Where did you get them - what part of the
    country/world?

    I like to pick mine when they are that size, but so much depends on
    the weather and when we get a frost.

    Boron

  4. On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:01:03 -0800, cathyxyz the kibitzer attempted to
    write:

    Quoted message said:

    Um, they look like...... brussel sprouts.... and your point is?

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

    Well.. you still have not read the BOOK. You know the one YOU recommend
    to people about being NICE. Furthermore you are not getting ANY smarter.

    Brussels sprouts are commonly misspelled by dummies as "brussel sprouts".
    They are named after the city of Brussels. DUH!

  5. Boron Elgar said:

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:43:21 GMT, jay <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://photobucket.com/albums/e17/billyjeanking/?action=view&current=154d8970.jpg

    They look lovely. Where did you get them - what part of the
    country/world?

    I like to pick mine when they are that size, but so much depends on
    the weather and when we get a frost.

    Boron

    Thank you! They are very nice. We live in the southern part of the US.
    They came from a local supermarket. Sometimes they have the larger ones
    still attached to the stalk. Are these just an early harvest of the same
    variety as the larger ones?

  6. jay said:


    Brussels sprouts are commonly misspelled by dummies as "brussel sprouts".
    They are named after the city of Brussels. DUH!

    Thanks for correcting me.... now I can sleep tonight. 😉

    Chillax jay..... (one of my best friends is called "jay"😉..... I was
    just annoyed at your remarks to modem... I'll get over it
    (eventually)... so as Om says: "Peace"?

    BTW, I did say your "prawn" pics were good, did I not?

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz) - holding out the olive branch...

  7. "Boron Elgar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jay said:


    We picked these up yesterday. It is the first time I've seen them
    available fresh.

    2 Photos

    http://photobucket.com/albums/e17/billyjeanking/?action=view&current=154d8970.jpg


    At my regular grocery store these would cost about $6 (not organic). Hope
    they were less than that, but I'm sure they were worth it even so. Love
    brussel sprouts.
    Dee Dee

  8. jay said:
    Boron Elgar said:

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:43:21 GMT, jay <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://photobucket.com/albums/e17/billyjeanking/?action=view&current=154d8970.jpg

    They look lovely. Where did you get them - what part of the
    country/world?

    I like to pick mine when they are that size, but so much depends on
    the weather and when we get a frost.

    Boron

    Thank you! They are very nice. We live in the southern part of the US.
    They came from a local supermarket. Sometimes they have the larger ones
    still attached to the stalk. Are these just an early harvest of the same
    variety as the larger ones?

    Yes, there are various varieties. These days brussels sprouts are
    machine harvested, probably size-graded mechanically as well (makes for
    nicer presentation at point of sale).

    Besides California, Lung Guyland produces brussels sprouts too. I
    tried growing them but had no luck, probably needed a greenhouse for
    early starting.

    http://www.brussels-sprouts.com/tocpage.htm

    Sheldon

  9. jay said:

    We picked these up yesterday. It is the first time I've seen them
    available fresh.

    2 Photos

    http://photobucket.com/albums/e17/billyjeanking/?action=view&current=154d8970.jpg

    Nice! Good composition, and clean! I like that stainless steel
    skimer/colander, where did you get it... I use one of those
    oriental-style bambo handled wire skimmers but would like one like
    yours too.

    Sheldon

  10. cathyxyz said:
    jay said:

    We picked these up yesterday. It is the first time I've seen them
    available fresh.

    Um, they look like...... brussel sprouts.... and your point is?

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

    It's sometimes hard to find fresh brussels sprouts depending upon where you
    live. The ones I find are usually the big 'uns, not baby sprouts and only
    at certain times of the year. The rest of the time I rely on frozen ones.

    Jill

  11. jmcquown said:
    cathyxyz said:
    jay said:

    We picked these up yesterday. It is the first time I've seen them
    available fresh.

    Um, they look like...... brussel sprouts.... and your point is?

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

    It's sometimes hard to find fresh brussels sprouts depending upon where you
    live. The ones I find are usually the big 'uns, not baby sprouts and only
    at certain times of the year. The rest of the time I rely on frozen ones.

    I was thinking that perhaps Cathy isn't familiar with the size of US
    coins, so the comparison of size with the nickel in the picture might
    not have meant too much. Cathy, in case you didn't know, a US nickel
    is roughly 2cm in diameter. That would make these Brussels sprouts
    very small compared to what we usually get. Or at least what I
    usually get!

  12. Sheldon said:


    jay wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    2 Photos

    Quoted message said:

    Nice! Good composition, and clean! I like that stainless steel
    skimer/colander, where did you get it... I use one of those
    oriental-style bambo handled wire skimmers but would like one like
    yours too.

    Sheldon

    Thank you ..and the farmer! The skimmer came from a local oriental
    market. It cost about $7. I have found many uses for it.

  13. jay said:
    Sheldon said:

    Nice! Good composition, and clean! I like that stainless steel
    skimer/colander, where did you get it... I use one of those
    oriental-style bambo handled wire skimmers but would like one like
    yours too.

    Thank you ..and the farmer! The skimmer came from a local oriental
    market. It cost about $7. I have found many uses for it.

    That seems like a great price. Is there a brand name stamped on that
    skimmer. perhaps that can help locate one on the net. I already tried
    searching skimmers but of about a hundred that came up none looked like
    yours.

    Sheldon

  14. "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    We picked these up yesterday. It is the first time I've seen them
    available fresh.

    Do the smaller brussels sprouts taste any different to the larger ones?

    Jen

  15. Dee Randall said:

    At my regular grocery store these would cost about $6 (not organic).
    Hope they were less than that, but I'm sure they were worth it even
    so.

    The last ones I bought were 79 euro cent for 500 grams, about a week
    ago. The main season will be over soon, however.

    Quoted message said:

    Love brussel sprouts.

    Line out a soufflé dish with some puff pastry dough. Bake for about 10
    minutes at 200°C/400F. Fill in slightly steamed brussels sprouts mixed
    with diced, roasted, smoked ham. Mix egg, milk and crème fraîche with
    some pepper, salt and nutmeg (if you like) and pour over the rest.
    Cover with grated emmentaler (or something similar). Bake for about 15
    more minutes. If you like goat's cheese, leave the emmentaler away and
    mix some goat curd cheese in the egg-milk mix instead. Enjoy with a good
    beer (http://tinyurl.com/nmmsy). Yummy!

    The pleasures of life can sometimes be so simple...

    Jens

  16. Sheldon said:

    That seems like a great price. Is there a brand name stamped on that
    skimmer. perhaps that can help locate one on the net. I already tried
    searching skimmers but of about a hundred that came up none looked like
    yours.

    Sheldon

    Try the search string..mandarin steamer

    Looks like there are plenty to pick from. It is handy. I used it not
    long ago to do some oysters on the smoker. We usually just smoke 'em on
    the half shell but these were already shucked. It worked too good.

  17. jay said:
    Boron Elgar said:

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:43:21 GMT, jay <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://photobucket.com/albums/e17/billyjeanking/?action=view&current=154d8970.jpg

    They look lovely. Where did you get them - what part of the
    country/world?

    I like to pick mine when they are that size, but so much depends on
    the weather and when we get a frost.

    Boron

    Thank you! They are very nice. We live in the southern part of the US.
    They came from a local supermarket. Sometimes they have the larger ones
    still attached to the stalk. Are these just an early harvest of the same
    variety as the larger ones?


    Maybe these are an import, because they are not really in season
    anywhere in the US right now. Of course, I suppose hothouse growing
    and temp control can make them happy if the price it right and it is
    worth it to the grower.

    The varieties I have grown (I am in Northern NJ) need a few good
    frosts to sweeten them up - takes away any bitterness they might have.

    In fact, I picked the last in early December and the Earth Box I grew
    them in still has the stalks sticking up and I can see them on my
    deck. The rest of the garden was long past production at that point
    and long composted. Those stalks never made it into the composter.

    I am going a huntin' in my local markets tomorrow. I'd love to find
    some like that.

    Boron

  18. Jen said:


    "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    We picked these up yesterday. It is the first time I've seen them
    available fresh.

    Do the smaller brussels sprouts taste any different to the larger ones?

    Jen

    YES! They have a very, very mild brussels sprout flavor with a delicate
    sweetness. Hard to describe you know..but I will never pass them by when
    they are available. The were $3.99 a pound and worth every bit of it. I
    spent $1.66 and they were portioned for three.

  19. "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:12:15 +0000, Jen wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Do the smaller brussels sprouts taste any different to the larger ones?

    Jen

    YES! They have a very, very mild brussels sprout flavor with a delicate
    sweetness. Hard to describe you know..but I will never pass them by when
    they are available. The were $3.99 a pound and worth every bit of it. I
    spent $1.66 and they were portioned for three.

    I'll have to try them when I see them then. Thanks.

    Jen

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.