Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Bacchetta Corsa initial impressions(long)

Started by Harryo · · Last activity · 10 posts · 817 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
13 April 2004
Last activity
18 April 2004
Original author
Harryo
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
817
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK, I have 150 miles on my new Corsa and here are my initial
    riding impessions. I have been riding an Optima Baron,
    almost exclusively, for the last 3 years so I will be making
    some comparisons of the two bikes.

    The M5 seat of the Corsa is smaller than the Optima seat on
    my Baron. It is about 2 inches shorter in length and 1 inch
    narrower. The 2" of reduced length is between the 2 bends
    of the seat. Overall, the seat fits me pretty well and is
    not uncomfortable, although right now I would say that the
    Optima seat is a bit more comfortable for me, but that is
    likely because I am accustomed to it. With more miles on
    the Corsa, I'm sure I'll become more accustomed to it's
    seat and it will feel perfectly comfortable. I have no
    problem with neck fatigue, or pain, but then I didn't on
    the Optima seat either.

    My Corsa is the large frame and with the seat stays fully
    reclined, the seat clamp is just about right in the middle
    of the adjustment range. The seat angle is slightly more
    than the seat on my Baron, which is fully reclined, but not
    by much. When the handlebars are set for my arms fully
    extended, the riser angle is almost perfectly in line with
    the head tube. Even with the height adjustment of the stem
    fully lowered, the handlebars are still a few inches higher
    than I need. The superman position is certainly different
    than what I am used to but it is not uncomfortable.

    The Corsa is a fast and efficient bike. On a flat, smooth
    road, my Baron is faster for the same percieved effort, but
    not by much. Into a stiff wind, the Baron also seems to be a
    bit easier to maintain speed, but again , not by much. It is
    really difficult to quantify any differences, because I only
    have about 200 road miles this year. Although the spinning
    work I have done, at the local YMCA, have my heart and lungs
    in excellent shape, my legs still need some more road miles
    and are getting stronger every ride.

    The Corsa is definitely quicker, when accelerating from a
    stop, and also seems to be a better climber, on the hills
    in my area. This is no doubt due to it's lighter weight. I
    haven't weighed either bike but my just hefting them, the
    Corsa is noticably lighter. Handling is excellent. It is
    quicker responding than my Baron but is predictable and
    smooth. I am still getting used to it but I am pretty
    steady on it right now. Starting is a bit trickier, so far,
    but again, I have had no real problems. The stiffness of
    the Corsa and overall ride quality, seem to be about the
    same as my Baron.

    Bottom line, so far, with my limited miles, is that the
    Corsa is a very comfortable ride and is certainly capable of
    being ridden at a fast pace, by those capable of riding it
    so. It might be slightly less efficient on flat, smooth
    rural roads but for all long rides, in varied terrain, it is
    probably capable of being ridden just as fast as my Baron.
    For hillier rides, it might even be faster, for me.

    I did a short mile ride last Friday evening, on mostly rural
    roads, with light winds, but about 60 percent of the ride
    was on a glacial moraine, with rolling, to slightly hiily
    roads. Even after going through my home town and riding the
    streets for a couple of miles I ended up doing 29.5 miles in
    1:32. I did not push myself really hard and only had about
    100 road miles for the year. It appears that I might not be
    getting many road miles on my Baron for awhile and will be
    riding the Corsa.

    Harry Jiles

  2. That pretty much mirrors my impressions. I recently bought a
    used Corsa.

    Two items to consider:

    1) Since you have the bars in line with the head tube, you
    can get rid of the GlideFlex unit. It weighs about a half
    a pound and isn't doing anything for you. This will also
    lower the bars.

    2) You can cut the riser to lower the bars. While
    irreversible, there are no ill effects from doing this.

    Note that if you do get rid of the GlideFlex, you have no
    way of properly tightening the headset. Bacchetta has come
    up with a widget to solve this problem, available Real Soon
    Now. It's also possible to get things tight enough without
    the widget if you lean on the stem hard enough, then tighten
    the collar. This is what I've done and it's just fine.

  3. Harry, Thanks for the report. You will most likely need to
    cut your riser down. I have cut as much as 3" off and re-
    drilled and slotted them. For the very reclined rider like
    you its pretty normal to hack off atleast 2". There is a
    picture of the very recline position of AL K.'s Corsa on
    the Bacchetta Yahoo Group. As I remember we cut over 2" off
    his riser.

    Jude Wheel Doctor Cycle & Sport Inc. 800-586-6645

    harryo <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    OK, I have 150 miles on my new Corsa and here are my
    initial riding impessions. I have been riding an Optima
    Baron, almost exclusively, for the last 3 years so I will
    be making some comparisons of the two bikes.

    The M5 seat of the Corsa is smaller than the Optima seat
    on my Baron. It is about 2 inches shorter in length and 1
    inch narrower. The 2" of reduced length is between the 2
    bends of the seat. Overall, the seat fits me pretty well
    and is not uncomfortable, although right now I would say
    that the Optima seat is a bit more comfortable for me, but
    that is likely because I am accustomed to it. With more
    miles on the Corsa, I'm sure I'll become more accustomed
    to it's seat and it will feel perfectly comfortable. I
    have no problem with neck fatigue, or pain, but then I
    didn't on the Optima seat either.

    My Corsa is the large frame and with the seat stays fully
    reclined, the seat clamp is just about right in the middle
    of the adjustment range. The seat angle is slightly more
    than the seat on my Baron, which is fully reclined, but
    not by much. When the handlebars are set for my arms fully
    extended, the riser angle is almost perfectly in line with
    the head tube. Even with the height adjustment of the stem
    fully lowered, the handlebars are still a few inches
    higher than I need. The superman position is certainly
    different than what I am used to but it is not
    uncomfortable.

    The Corsa is a fast and efficient bike. On a flat, smooth
    road, my Baron is faster for the same percieved effort,
    but not by much. Into a stiff wind, the Baron also seems
    to be a bit easier to maintain speed, but again , not by
    much. It is really difficult to quantify any differences,
    because I only have about 200 road miles this year.
    Although the spinning work I have done, at the local
    YMCA, have my heart and lungs in excellent shape, my legs
    still need some more road miles and are getting stronger
    every ride.

    The Corsa is definitely quicker, when accelerating from a
    stop, and also seems to be a better climber, on the hills
    in my area. This is no doubt due to it's lighter weight. I
    haven't weighed either bike but my just hefting them, the
    Corsa is noticably lighter. Handling is excellent. It is
    quicker responding than my Baron but is predictable and
    smooth. I am still getting used to it but I am pretty
    steady on it right now. Starting is a bit trickier, so
    far, but again, I have had no real problems. The stiffness
    of the Corsa and overall ride quality, seem to be about
    the same as my Baron.

    Bottom line, so far, with my limited miles, is that the
    Corsa is a very comfortable ride and is certainly capable
    of being ridden at a fast pace, by those capable of riding
    it so. It might be slightly less efficient on flat, smooth
    rural roads but for all long rides, in varied terrain, it
    is probably capable of being ridden just as fast as my
    Baron. For hillier rides, it might even be faster, for me.

    I did a short mile ride last Friday evening, on mostly
    rural roads, with light winds, but about 60 percent of the
    ride was on a glacial moraine, with rolling, to slightly
    hiily roads. Even after going through my home town and
    riding the streets for a couple of miles I ended up doing
    29.5 miles in 1:32. I did not push myself really hard and
    only had about 100 road miles for the year. It appears
    that I might not be getting many road miles on my Baron
    for awhile and will be riding the Corsa.

    Harry Jiles

  4. You can also buy a shorter riser directly from Bacchetta.

    "Andrew Douglas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    That pretty much mirrors my impressions. I recently bought
    a used Corsa.

    Two items to consider:

    1) Since you have the bars in line with the head tube, you
    can get rid of the GlideFlex unit. It weighs about a
    half a pound and isn't doing anything for you. This
    will also lower the bars.

    2) You can cut the riser to lower the bars. While
    irreversible, there are no ill effects from doing this.

    Note that if you do get rid of the GlideFlex, you have no
    way of properly tightening the headset. Bacchetta has come
    up with a widget to solve this problem, available Real
    Soon Now. It's also possible to get things tight enough
    without the widget if you lean on the stem hard enough,
    then tighten the collar. This is what I've done and it's
    just fine.

  5. Actually, The short one often needs to be cut down. All you
    need is 1/2" clearance.All the Bacchetta's now come with the
    shorter length/shorter reach riser. On the bikes equipped
    with the glidflex the tendency is to need to cut more off,
    unless your riser is directly in line with the head tube. My
    personal bike (Aero) is cut so short that I feel the hairs
    on my legs touch the HB.

    Jude

    TimH <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You can also buy a shorter riser directly from Bacchetta.

    "Andrew Douglas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    That pretty much mirrors my impressions. I recently
    bought a used Corsa.

    Two items to consider:

    1) Since you have the bars in line with the head tube,
    you can get rid of the GlideFlex unit. It weighs
    about a half a pound and isn't doing anything for
    you. This will also lower the bars.

    2) You can cut the riser to lower the bars. While
    irreversible, there are no ill effects from doing
    this.

    Note that if you do get rid of the GlideFlex, you have
    no way of properly tightening the headset. Bacchetta has
    come up with a widget to solve this problem, available
    Real Soon Now. It's also possible to get things tight
    enough without the widget if you lean on the stem hard
    enough, then tighten the collar. This is what I've done
    and it's just fine.

  6. Harry: Well, the end of an era. One of the things I could
    always count on in the central Illinois rides was looking
    down from my relatively lofty Barcroft Virginia riding
    position (19 inches) and seeing you flash by on the Baron.
    Now I will need to look up and crane my neck to see you
    woosh by. Two years ago in Monticello my wife and I are
    riding our Barcroft Columbia tandem with you and a fellow
    with a P-38, keeping fairly close to your pace, and thinking
    we were some hot cycle jockeys. That is until you and the
    other rider then decided to shift out of neurtal and into
    drive. Gone in a flash. So, now it appears that with the
    Corsa you might be even faster, which means we better see
    you at the start or we won't see you at all on the ride.
    Thanks for the comparison.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

  7. [email hidden] (mike s) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Harry: Well, the end of an era. One of the things I could
    always count on in the central Illinois rides was looking
    down from my relatively lofty Barcroft Virginia riding
    position (19 inches) and seeing you flash by on the Baron.
    Now I will need to look up and crane my neck to see you
    woosh by. Two years ago in Monticello my wife and I are
    riding our Barcroft Columbia tandem with you and a fellow
    with a P-38, keeping fairly close to your pace, and
    thinking we were some hot cycle jockeys. That is until you
    and the other rider then decided to shift out of neurtal
    and into drive. Gone in a flash. So, now it appears that
    with the Corsa you might be even faster, which means we
    better see you at the start or we won't see you at all on
    the ride. Thanks for the comparison.

    Mike, the right side of my brain takes over sometimes and I
    have to take off and sprint. It's a male thing isn't it?

    Seriously, I had been intrigued by the Bacchetta highracers,
    since they first appeared and finally had to give them a
    try. Now, I still find them quite intriguing. The Corsa
    really is an efficient machine and continues to impress me
    more each time I ride it. Yesterday evening, because of the
    very high winds(30+ gusts), I rode into town(LeRoy), to get
    a bit of shelter from the winds and rode there, on the
    streets, for 1 1/2 hours. Now LeRoy is a small town, with
    fairly light traffic on the streets, so I rode like I was in
    a criterium. The Corsa is very quick in sprints and I can
    really pedal it up to high speed quickly, even into the wind
    and on light uphill grades. While I never felt that I had
    severe visibility concerns on the Baron, the Corsa obviously
    offers more visibility, both for me and for motorists seeing
    me and is really faster for in town riding.

    I really like the Corsa. I think I probably will be able to
    ride it faster, overall, than the Baron. It is pretty darn
    aero into the wind and it certainly seems to roll quite
    easily so maybe the twin big wheels do offer some advantage
    in rolling resistance. Right now, it appears that I might
    very well be selling an Optima Baron in the future.

    I hope to see you and Joan at Monticello again this year, if
    my planting progress allows it. It really is a great ride!

    Harry Jiles

  8. harryo said:

    ... I hope to see you and Joan at Monticello again this
    year, if my planting progress allows it. It really is a
    great ride!

    Mike always misses the most interesting HPV's on the
    Monticello ride. He writes an article for RCN but does not
    notice the bodysocked Screamer, TiGRR and "Wavewind" riding
    together. Last year he missed the Greenspeed Tandem Trike,
    Bike Friday Double Day and Earth Cycles Dragonflyer.

    I believe he is trying to avoid me. However, he and Joan did
    suffer the indignity of being photographed with me by a
    reporter for the Havana [1] newspaper. 😉

    [1] Illinois, not Cuba.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

  9. Tom Sherman <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Mike always misses the most interesting HPV's on the
    Monticello ride. He writes an article for RCN but does not
    notice the bodysocked Screamer, TiGRR and "Wavewind"
    riding together. Last year he missed the Greenspeed Tandem
    Trike, Bike Friday Double Day and Earth Cycles
    Dragonflyer.

    It is truely hard to miss a Greenspeed Tandem Trike. It is
    only about
    1/2 a block long! Tom, I also hope to see you, Tom Smith and
    Hal again, in Monticello. That ride does seem to attract
    more than an average number of recumbents.

    Harry Jiles

  10. [email hidden] (harryo) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Tom Sherman <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]-
    berlin.de>...

    Quoted message said:

    Mike always misses the most interesting HPV's on the
    Monticello ride. He writes an article for RCN but does
    not notice the bodysocked Screamer, TiGRR and "Wavewind"
    riding together. Last year he missed the Greenspeed
    Tandem Trike, Bike Friday Double Day and Earth Cycles
    Dragonflyer.

    Tom: I might have seen them but at my age I probably can't
    remember. But you left one thing out. You are also
    responsible for allowing me to try the only Lowracer I have
    ever ridden where I didn't dump myself on the tarmac within
    five pedal strokes. The Sunset Lowracer lived up to the
    reputation you have so steadfastly promoted. As to the photo
    and the publication in the local paper, I hope that is not
    the reason they cancelled the ride this year! Hope to see
    you on one of the rides. P.S. We leave early.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.