UK and Europe · Public discussion

back on wheels, now with baby!

Started by Myra Vaninwegen · · Last activity · 10 posts · 631 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
8 May 2003
Last activity
9 May 2003
Original author
Myra Vaninwegen
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
631
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. You may recall that I stopped cycling mid-February because of pregnancy-related carpal tunnel
    syndroms. Well, I had the baby March 11th (the ever so cute Ellen Rose who is asleep in the sling as
    I type this) and my hands have been slowly improving. They are now much better than when I stopped
    cycling, although still not 100%. About 5 weeks after giving birth I tried going for a short (1/2
    hour) bike ride. I had a Cesarean section and they recommend you wait until 8 weeks before cycling,
    but when I pressed they said, well, maybe 6. At 5 weeks it was fine, but for the fact that the hands
    still aren't great.

    Though I could ride a bike, I couldn't ride long because I have to take care of Ellen. So finally
    last weekend we got her trailer ready to go. We've had it since before she was born, but we found
    that the wheels are defective (tires didn't fit on rims well, resulting in un-round wheels) and we
    hadn't figured out how to fit the baby car seat in it. We solved both problems over the weekend,
    taking the trailer back to the guy we bought it from (Kevin of D.Tek) who replaced the wheels, and
    sewing buckles onto nylon webbing to make straps to hold in the car seat. We took Ellen for some
    short rides over the weekend. She really likes it! Well, she sometimes complains a bit as I strap
    her in, but once the bike gets going she soons quiets down and then falls fast asleep. Sometime she
    does wake up while I'm riding and sqeak a bit, but then falls back asleep.

    I've been going out with her almost every day this week. My longest ride was 16.5 miles, which is a
    longer ride than I've done since November (Nov-Feb I'd been riding regularly, but only for
    commuting purposes, so I'd ride 40-50 miles/week, but only about 3.5 miles at a time). My legs
    ached a bit the next day!

    So I will work towards slowly regaining my fitness and losing the excess weight. It sure feels good
    to be back on the bike!

    -Myra

  2. "Myra VanInwegen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You may recall that I stopped cycling mid-February because of pregnancy-related carpal tunnel
    syndroms. Well, I had the baby March 11th (the ever so cute Ellen Rose who is asleep in the sling
    as I type this) and my hands have been slowly improving.

    snip

    Quoted message said:

    So I will work towards slowly regaining my fitness and losing the excess weight. It sure feels
    good to be back on the bike!

    Thanks for that Myra. Its good to know you are back on the bike and that little Ellen Rose is so
    underwhelmed by the experience that she sleeps through it all :o

    I am sure many of us know how grouchy we can get when denied our fresh air, fun and endorphins --
    even for a short period. It must be very different for a woman so shortly after birth -- I suspect
    there are many additional feelings/emotions/hormones adding to the mix -- plus, of course, you have
    not been cycling (or, at least not freely, for months.

    It will soon be time for some more JPGs.

    T

    PS -- And just remember not to go Bog Snorkelling with your genetic legacy in tow!!

  3. Myra,

    I got a chronic leg injury in 1987 which kept me from walking, running or cycling for a year. I
    thought I'd never get over it, but when I did it was better than ever, and I've never got it back.

    You can always get your carpal tunnel surgically relieved if it proves very resistant, or injected
    with steroids if necessary.

    The thing to do with these things is to do something else. I spent the year in my spare time
    becoming a real dab hand at MSDOS.

  4. In message <[email hidden]>, Myra VanInwegen
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    You may recall that I stopped cycling mid-February because of pregnancy-related carpal tunnel
    syndroms. Well, I had the baby March 11th (the ever so cute Ellen Rose who is asleep in the sling
    as I type this)

    Ahh happy days :-)

    Nowadays if we try to use the computer for to long with Elinor around she demands to have a look at
    the Teletubbies site :-)

    Quoted message said:

    and my hands have been slowly improving.

    That's good, hopefully it will continue to improve

    Quoted message said:


    Though I could ride a bike, I couldn't ride long because I have to take care of Ellen. So finally
    last weekend we got her trailer ready to go.

    Quoted message said:

    We took Ellen for some short rides over the weekend. She really likes it! Well, she sometimes
    complains a bit as I strap her in, but once the bike gets going she soons quiets down and then
    falls fast asleep. Sometime she does wake up while I'm riding and sqeak a bit, but then falls
    back asleep.

    It's great fun being out with Elinor in the trailer, nowadays she is more likely to keep up a
    running commentary on the trip. Though it would be a good way to get here to sleep. The response
    from other people is usually enjoyable to. I do get odd looks from people until they see the trailer
    as I seem to be talking to myself.

    Yesterday on the way home from the nursery she was commenting liking the 'little wobblies' but not
    the 'big wobbilies' - referring to how bumpy the path was.

    Quoted message said:

    I've been going out with her almost every day this week. My longest ride was 16.5 miles, which is a
    longer ride than I've done since November (Nov-Feb I'd been riding regularly, but only for
    commuting purposes, so I'd ride 40-50 miles/week, but only about 3.5 miles at a time). My legs
    ached a bit the next day!

    Towing the trailer is certainly a fair bit more effort (esp. with some of our Yorkshire hills),
    you'll soon be back up to speed as it were, and at least the summer is coming.

    In fact the sun is shining, Elinor has just got up, I feel a ride coming on maybe :-)
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  5. [email hidden] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    At 5 weeks it was fine, but for the fact that the hands still aren't great.

    You can't keep a cyclist down. Here's hoping they continue to improve.

    Quoted message said:

    We took Ellen for some short rides over the weekend. She really likes it! Well, she sometimes
    complains a bit as I strap her in, but once the bike gets going she soons quiets down and then
    falls fast asleep. Sometime she does wake up while I'm riding and sqeak a bit, but then falls
    back asleep.

    I think that's the usual reaction for babies in trailers. I used a hired one during a 2 week
    holiday when my children were 2 and 3 years old. They absolutely loved it. Whenever the trailer was
    moving Mark, the 3 year old, would fall into a sort of silent trance and Eleanor, the 2 year old,
    would nod off.

    Quoted message said:

    So I will work towards slowly regaining my fitness and losing the excess weight. It sure feels
    good to be back on the bike!

    It feels good to know you're back on one. You're not training for a race. Slow but steady progress
    is the thing to aim for. Sky's the
    limit.

    --
    Dave...

  6. chris French <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Ahh happy days :-)

    Nowadays if we try to use the computer for to long with Elinor around she demands to have a look
    at the Teletubbies site :-)

    I'm jealous... I like kids. Alot. I've never been too excited about babies, as you can't do much
    with them. Ellen is nice, and soft and warm and cuddly, etc, but she'll be alot more fun when I'm
    able to talk with her. The strange thing is, though, that despite her very limited abilities, I
    sense an intelligence in her. Like when I'm being a bit too slow about changing her nappy, and she
    starts screaming. I try to calm her down, patting her head, saying nice things to her, etc. Then
    suddenly she looks at me very carefully, as if she's examining me, to see if my response to her
    scream is up to the proper standards.

    I always thought of babies as not having much of a personality, as being more demanding things than
    little people, but she definitely has a personality and is a little person, not a thing.

    Anyway, eventually Ellen will be able to talk and I can read books to her and teach her how to draw
    circles and all the fun stuff you do with beyond-babies. And then we'll have to start all over again
    with our planned #2...

    Quoted message said:

    Towing the trailer is certainly a fair bit more effort (esp. with some of our Yorkshire hills),
    you'll soon be back up to speed as it were, and at least the summer is coming.

    I already feel a bit fitter, although it's most likely just an illusion.

    But I definitely do feel that I have my freedom back. Before I started riding with her, I couldn't
    go into town except by car or bus, both of which are very annoying. Now I can just ride into town
    and park anywhere and do my business. I find that people are often amazed when I roll up with the
    trailer and pull out, instead of the usual small kid, a tiny (about 10 lbs) 2 month old baby. I find
    teenage girls and old ladies are the most enthusiastic about her.

    Yesterday I rode out to get some eggs from the egg lady. She's an old, slow lady who walks with a
    cane and keep birds (hens, ducks, geese) and sells eggs (free range of course) for a quid a dozen.
    She gave me my eggs and by that time Ellen had woken up and started to complain because we'd
    stopped. The lady looked puzzled and said "What's that noise?" I said "It's my baby" and of course
    she had to come over to the trailer to have a good look at her...

    -Myra

  7. In "]news:[email hidden], Myra VanInwegen <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:


    I always thought of babies as not having much of a personality, as being more demanding things
    than little people, but she definitely has a personality and is a little person, not a thing.

    Definitely

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, eventually Ellen will be able to talk and I can read books to her and teach her how to
    draw circles and all the fun stuff you do with beyond-babies. And then we'll have to start all
    over again with our planned #2...

    Its a fascinating process which as a computer person you will enjoy. It seems they start with a
    basic instruction set and then you can literally see new subroutines being switched on as they
    develop. One day they can't do something and then suddenly they can.

    Tony

    --
    raven-family.comraven-family.com

    "All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
    Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

  8. Glad you are back on the bike - and that the wee one enjoys it - also that the hand is improving.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  9. [email hidden] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I always thought of babies as not having much of a personality, as being more demanding things
    than little people, but she definitely has a personality and is a little person, not a thing.

    And is dominating the entire house, no doubt.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, eventually Ellen will be able to talk and I can read books to her and teach her how to
    draw circles and all the fun stuff you do with beyond-babies. And then we'll have to start all
    over again with our planned #2...

    When #2 arrives it will be even more apparent that each one comes with its own distinct personality
    pre-loaded.

    --
    Dave...

  10. Dave Kahn said:


    When #2 arrives it will be even more apparent that each one comes with its own distinct
    personality pre-loaded.

    With views and opinions opposite to #1.

    And louder too.

    John B

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.