rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

bad balance habits?

Started by nosabe332 · · Last activity · 10 posts · 301 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
14 August 2005
Last activity
14 August 2005
Original author
nosabe332
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
301
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. i learned to ride using my left arm to balance and my right hand on the
    seat handle. i found that i got really used to this position, and
    consequently my torso takes on a pretty twisted position (left arm
    directly behind me, right shoulder dropped way down, almost over the
    handle).

    is this ok? i usually get pretty contorted when i'm tired (i figure it's
    a bad habit i can't suppress any longer).
    i have a feeling that it's interfering with my turning, but i can't be
    sure, since it's still when i'm tired.

    so far, my strategy to fix this has been to ride holding the back of my
    seat with my right hand, hoping it would straigten me out. but, it's
    still possible to ride with your torso turned to the left, and still
    hold the back of the seat with your right hand.

    i've also tried switching hands on the handle, but instead of making my
    right arm swing out back to balance, it stays in front and balances me.

    any other tips, or experiences?
    thanks

    --
    nosabe332 - can't.. go slow enough!

    -Eric

    'well turn on something... i'm starting to think!'
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nosabe332's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3531
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

  2. My advise is force yourself to ride your unicycle with your arms crossed
    and your back straight. This should help you lose your bad habits of
    holding on to your seat when turning.

    --
    leadpan - OC Cokeur

    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leadpan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9751
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

  3. just ride with no hands.. like a uni is meant to be.. 🙂

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unitik908's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8690
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

  4. you should be able to ride without worrying about your hands at
    all...just learn to ride forwards with both of your hands hanging down
    at the side. you should be able to do anything you want with either
    hand while riding. for the most part.

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

  5. hm.. thanks for the advice.

    i don't think it matters whether or not i'm actually holding the seat. i
    just find myself twisting around. but i'll try the arms crossed thing.

    on my last ride i tried riding with both hands on the handle, as if i
    were riding a bike. i also hunched over, and it's more stable at high
    speeds. while it doesn't really address the original issue, it was
    pretty fun to go faster than i used to.

    --
    nosabe332 - can't.. go slow enough!

    -Eric

    'well turn on something... i'm starting to think!'
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nosabe332's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3531
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

  6. I find myself riding a bit twisted too. My right arm is usually reaching
    out in front. This is worse when I'm tired & especially if I'm a bit
    tense. As I relax I get straighter.
    I was talking about unicycling at a circus convention with
    rogeratunicycledotcom and my friend stuart and we were discussing the
    fact that people aren't summetrical but have different length legs, that
    we have learnt to accomodate when walking, but when unicycling you have
    to sit with your pelvis square, so one leg is shorter than the other.
    This could possibly be a symptom of that. Maybe it gets better with
    practice and you learn to adapt when unicycling like you do when
    walking.
    Does this make sense?
    I would say, with my limited knowledge of unicycling, don't worry, just
    relax and enjoy.
    Cathy

    😎

    --
    cathwood - Lunicyclist

    A thought is just a thought.

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

  7. I noticed recently when riding an easy 18-24" wide ledge (a seawall),
    with a 6 foot drop to water on one side and a 1 foot drop to the
    sidewalk on the other, that I was riding with my shoulders twisted,
    unconsciously at first, so that if I started to lose it, I would turn
    towards the sidewalk side and not the water side, by untwisting my upper
    body.

    I noticed I was doing the same thing in reverse when travelling back
    with the water on the other side!

    I had to consciously focus on relaxing and riding "centered" to ride
    straight down the middle of the seawall and overcome the tendency to
    turn away from the danger.

    The easiest way I've found to relax is to let the arms hang low and
    loose.

    --
    paul_g
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    paul_g's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10136
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

  8. maybe your seat is crooked.

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

  9. James_Potter said:

    *maybe your seat is crooked. *

    haha
    i thought that too. looks straight to me, though.
    glad to know other people experience this. next goal is to relax a
    little, i guess.

    --
    nosabe332 - can't.. go slow enough!

    -Eric

    'well turn on something... i'm starting to think!'
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nosabe332's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3531
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

  10. I hold my seat only when I need to. Like when riding the steeps.

    On the trails I never notice my arms. When I'm riding down the sidewalk
    I feel myself pulling on one side. My dianosis was probably a crooked
    spine. Then I rode the sidewalk the other direction and I'm being pulled
    on the other side of my body.
    Try going both ways!
    Aloha, Dani

    --
    critter - SINGLE TRACK MIND
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    critter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8739
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42611

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.