Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Bad Bike Shop Manners??

Started by NYC XYZ · · Last activity · 147 posts · 5,285 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
21 January 2006
Last activity
3 February 2006
Original author
NYC XYZ
Posts
147
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,285
Views / 30 days
28

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 147
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood bike dealer?

    Actually, I've never known one myself, but somehow I get the feeling
    that these guys are at least supposed to care where you spend your
    money.

    I contacted Peter Stull, "The Bicycleman," and though I found him
    friendly at first, after a long ten or thirteen-minute telephone
    conversation he hangs up on me 'cause a customer suddenly walked in the
    door. He never answered 90% of my questions -- very basic ones like
    "how much does it cost?" -- though it was an interesting enough
    conversation otherwise where he told me about his bike races, his
    customer from Australia, the guy who works for him that specializes in
    recumbents....

    Before he excused himself with the near-equivalent of French Leave, I
    asked him whether I might wrap things up via e-mail. I could almost
    see him shrug casually -- "sure," he said.

    Three weeks now and no response.

    So I get in touch with another dealer, Northeast Recumbents. E-mailed,
    phoned, left messages...nothing. Finally got through to him last
    weekend, set up a look-see tomorrow. But there's rain in the forecast,
    and now this dealer is incommunicado.

    WTF?!

    Are my expectations out of order?

    The LBS on the next block from me where I got my Trek 1000c, the Bike
    Stop in Astoria, was another crazy place. The owner himself insisted
    on selling me the display model. It was in good condition, far as I
    can tell (though by the time I'd noticed some marks and scratches, a
    week had gone by and I couldn't be totally sure they weren't caused by
    me somehow), but apparently all bike shops insist you pay "new" prices
    for "good as new" bikes.

    Small matter that, sure enough -- but then the headset wasn't quite
    right. Turned out to be defective. But Gus, the owner, tried to
    convince me that its being loose was nothing to worry about! And
    indeed, I could ride the bike fine...but it just didn't feel right that
    I had a moving part where things are tight on other bikes.

    Or another LBS, in Manhattan, the Pedal Pushers...Evan over there is a
    nutcase. He's very charming and talkative like Peter Stull, but he's
    got a weird switch which somehow gets flipped and he'll go schizo on
    you with his passive-agressive act. One day I came in for a flat fix.
    While he was ringing up the sale, I noticed that my tire cap was gone
    and asked him where it was. He told me he put it outside the shop --
    ??? I asked him what he meant. He nodded incredulously at me and
    repeated that he left my tire cap outside. Not only was it a bizzare
    enough thing if true, but doubly strange was the fact that it wasn't
    true, he never touched my bike until I brought it in. So I asked him
    how could that be...he responded that, duh, how? I used my hands, you
    know, hands, and unscrewed it and gently placed it on the sidewalk. So
    I'm just really mystified at what's going on -- him swiping my card and
    all all this time -- and I ask him why would he do that.

    He goes, well, where do you put your TV in your place? I'm like, what?
    Where do you put your TV, he repeated. I asked him why. He said that
    just as I have my reasons for placing things in my apartment, so he has
    his reasons for organizing his shop the way he does (actually, it's
    owned by a sour old fart, Roger, who's absent half the time -- another
    neurotic cat).

    Now I ask you all; does that sound crazy or what?

    What's even more bizzare is that there was a line of customers behind
    me, every one non-plussed by the brief conversation.

    Tell me, is there some bike shop etiquette I didn't observe? Is there
    some kind of secret bike shop salute or handshake I should have
    employed? Did I bother them somehow by smiling?

    Honestly, I don't get it. Now I'll have to contact the fella over in
    State College, PA, for the Velotechnik SMGTe. I am not awarding ~$3K
    (maybe even more, if I don't contain my newfound lust of Rohloff
    gearboxes and other exotica) to folks who don't care enough for it to
    return a goddamned phone call or e-mail!

  2. NYC XYZ said:

    Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood bike dealer?

    Maybe he went out of business talking to people that weren't buying stuff.

    Quoted message said:

    I contacted Peter Stull, "The Bicycleman," and though I found him
    friendly at first, after a long ten or thirteen-minute telephone
    conversation he hangs up on me 'cause a customer suddenly walked in the
    door.

    How much of his time did you expect? He's in business, and his first
    priority should be the people that made the effort to get to his store.
    He sounds friendly enough to me.

    Quoted message said:

    So I get in touch with another dealer, Northeast Recumbents. E-mailed,
    phoned, left messages...nothing. Finally got through to him last
    weekend, set up a look-see tomorrow. But there's rain in the forecast,
    and now this dealer is incommunicado.

    WTF?!

    They're running a business, not a chat room.

    Quoted message said:

    Are my expectations out of order?

    I think so.

    Rich

  3. Rich said:

    Maybe he went out of business talking to people that weren't buying stuff.

    LOL -- he obviously went out of business 'cause he didn't know how to
    sell to people he was already talking to!

    Quoted message said:

    How much of his time did you expect?

    As much time as it takes to answer my questions, 90% of which he
    didn't.

    Quoted message said:

    He's in business, and his first
    priority should be the people that made the effort to get to his store.

    Oh, the world's supposed to beat a path to his door, even when they
    call first to make arrangements for a visit?

    Quoted message said:

    He sounds friendly enough to me.

    Of course. You're not very friendly yourself.

    Quoted message said:

    They're running a business, not a chat room.

    So why talk my ear off about his life?

    Quoted message said:

    I think so.

    Tell me which bike shop you own, etc. -- I'll be sure not to patronize.

    Quoted message said:

    Rich

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood bike dealer?

    Actually, I've never known one myself, but somehow I get the feeling
    that these guys are at least supposed to care where you spend your
    money.

    I contacted Peter Stull, "The Bicycleman," and though I found him
    friendly at first, after a long ten or thirteen-minute telephone
    conversation he hangs up on me 'cause a customer suddenly walked in the
    door. He never answered 90% of my questions -- very basic ones like
    "how much does it cost?" -- though it was an interesting enough
    conversation otherwise where he told me about his bike races, his
    customer from Australia, the guy who works for him that specializes in
    recumbents....

    Before he excused himself with the near-equivalent of French Leave, I
    asked him whether I might wrap things up via e-mail. I could almost
    see him shrug casually -- "sure," he said.

    Three weeks now and no response.

    So I get in touch with another dealer, Northeast Recumbents. E-mailed,
    phoned, left messages...nothing. Finally got through to him last
    weekend, set up a look-see tomorrow. But there's rain in the forecast,
    and now this dealer is incommunicado.

    WTF?!

    Are my expectations out of order?

    The LBS on the next block from me where I got my Trek 1000c, the Bike
    Stop in Astoria, was another crazy place. The owner himself insisted
    on selling me the display model. It was in good condition, far as I
    can tell (though by the time I'd noticed some marks and scratches, a
    week had gone by and I couldn't be totally sure they weren't caused by
    me somehow), but apparently all bike shops insist you pay "new" prices
    for "good as new" bikes.

    Small matter that, sure enough -- but then the headset wasn't quite
    right. Turned out to be defective. But Gus, the owner, tried to
    convince me that its being loose was nothing to worry about! And
    indeed, I could ride the bike fine...but it just didn't feel right that
    I had a moving part where things are tight on other bikes.

    Or another LBS, in Manhattan, the Pedal Pushers...Evan over there is a
    nutcase. He's very charming and talkative like Peter Stull, but he's
    got a weird switch which somehow gets flipped and he'll go schizo on
    you with his passive-agressive act. One day I came in for a flat fix.
    While he was ringing up the sale, I noticed that my tire cap was gone

    --
    So, who or what is the common denominator in all these stories?

    Mark Scardiglia

    [email hidden]

  5. Mark said:

    --
    So, who or what is the common denominator in all these stories?

    Mark Scardiglia

    [email hidden]

    War of 1812...Mexican-American War...Spanish-American War...Phillipine
    Insurrection...Boxer Rebellion...The Great War...The Big
    One...Korea...Vietnam...Dominican Republic...Grenada...Gulf I and
    II....

    Who's the common denominator?

    Just stick to the facts. It's easy to stick your tongue out and close
    your eyes, but unless you have any suggestions as to what I could have
    done differently, try not to feel so smug.

    You won't look good with egg all over your face.

  6. <<One day I came in for a flat fix.>>

    You gotta take your bike into a bike shop to fix a flat? No wonder no
    one wants to spend much time with you.

  7. Capri said:

    You gotta take your bike into a bike shop to fix a flat? No wonder no
    one wants to spend much time with you.

    But I'm not asking them to spend time with me.

    And what's wrong with having a bike shop fix flats?

    Do you think it's unmanly to use a map, too?

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    Mark said:

    --
    So, who or what is the common denominator in all these stories?

    Mark Scardiglia

    [email hidden]

    War of 1812...Mexican-American War...Spanish-American War...Phillipine
    Insurrection...Boxer Rebellion...The Great War...The Big
    One...Korea...Vietnam...Dominican Republic...Grenada...Gulf I and
    II....

    Who's the common denominator?

    Just stick to the facts. It's easy to stick your tongue out and close
    your eyes, but unless you have any suggestions as to what I could have
    done differently, try not to feel so smug.

    You won't look good with egg all over your face.


    OK. The facts, then. You spent probably 600 or 700 words lamenting about
    how four or five or six bike shops in a row either treated you badly or
    wouldn't do business with you or behaved bizarrely.

    You're right, it's not the norm.

    I could have pointed it out more gently, but the bottom line is that
    these interactions are two way affairs and there's no secret handshake,
    as you put it.

    Sunny side up, dry toast on the side.
    --
    Mark Scardiglia

    [email hidden]

  9. Mark said:


    OK. The facts, then. You spent probably 600 or 700 words lamenting about
    how four or five or six bike shops in a row either treated you badly or
    wouldn't do business with you or behaved bizarrely.

    Goodness, I'm glad you don't design bicycles for a living the way your
    brain works.

    Quoted message said:

    You're right, it's not the norm.

    You're wrong, I wasn't talking about that.

    Why do you pick and choose what you wish to ignore?

    Quoted message said:

    I could have pointed it out more gently, but the bottom line is that
    these interactions are two way affairs and there's no secret handshake,
    as you put it.

    You still haven't pointed out a single instance of what I'd done wrong.

    Quoted message said:

    Sunny side up, dry toast on the side.

    Your brain is toast.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Mark Scardiglia

    [email hidden]

  10. NYC XYZ wrote -

    Quoted message said:

    Tell me, is there some bike shop etiquette I didn't observe? Is there
    some kind of secret bike shop salute or handshake I should have
    employed? Did I bother them somehow by smiling?


    I think the all time difficult LBS guy is depicted in the Canadian movie
    "Two Seconds".

    The shop proprietlor, an ex road racer with considerable attitude, confronts
    Miss Downhill Racer with equal but opposite attitude. Breathtaking rudeness
    from him, but there is a reason ...

    Whilst demolishing a bottle of scotch after hours in the shop, each argues
    how their particular discpline gave true meaning to the concept of suffering
    on a bicycle.

    Friendship and mutual respect follow - liked that bit of the movie.

    best, Andrew

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    NYC XYZ said:

    Now I ask you all; does that sound crazy or what?

    These dealers you've been dealing with are all recumbent people?

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  12. NYC XYZ wrote in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    Mark said:


    OK. The facts, then. You spent probably 600 or 700 words lamenting about
    how four or five or six bike shops in a row either treated you badly or
    wouldn't do business with you or behaved bizarrely.

    Goodness, I'm glad you don't design bicycles for a living the way your
    brain works.

    Quoted message said:

    You're right, it's not the norm.

    You're wrong, I wasn't talking about that.

    Why do you pick and choose what you wish to ignore?

    Quoted message said:

    I could have pointed it out more gently, but the bottom line is that
    these interactions are two way affairs and there's no secret handshake,
    as you put it.

    You still haven't pointed out a single instance of what I'd done wrong.

    Quoted message said:

    Sunny side up, dry toast on the side.

    Your brain is toast.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Mark Scardiglia

    [email hidden]


    You are correct. The problem is with them, not you. Those non-plussed
    customers must also have something wrong with them. They are not as
    perceptive as you, so they are unable to recognize when they are not
    receiving adequate service. Unfortunately, a shopper with your level
    of sophistication will rarely encounter a shop that is adequate.

  13. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Now I ask you all; does that sound crazy or what?

    These dealers you've been dealing with are all recumbent people?

    I was thinking that myself. Peter Stull is definitely into recumbents, as
    well as the other shop he mentioned (with recumbent in their name). The
    place he got the Trek 1000 sounded pretty normal; there really aren't such
    things as "floor models" in bike shops... because you can't properly build a
    bike on the spot, you need to have your inventory built up ahead of time.
    And the guy "stealing" valve caps? A common inside-joke at shops is the way
    customers believe there's some big black market for valve caps, and the
    reason we leave them off (which happens accidentally more often than it
    should) is so we can score big bucks selling them.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    NYC XYZ said:

    Now I ask you all; does that sound crazy or what?

    These dealers you've been dealing with are all recumbent people?

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  14. On 20 Jan 2006 18:28:20 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood bike dealer?

    Actually, I've never known one myself, but somehow I get the feeling
    that these guys are at least supposed to care where you spend your
    money.

    If you've never met a friendly person working in a bike shop you must
    have one hell of a personality.

  15. NYC XYZ said:

    Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood bike dealer?


    If you could see yourself as these folks see you, then you'd understand
    that they are all there, but you won't find them without a serious
    change in attitude.

    I like the valve cap story - very illustrative.

  16. NYC XYZ said:

    Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood bike dealer?

    Actually, I've never known one myself, but somehow I get the feeling
    that these guys are at least supposed to care where you spend your
    money.

    I contacted Peter Stull, "The Bicycleman," and though I found him
    friendly at first, after a long ten or thirteen-minute telephone
    conversation he hangs up on me 'cause a customer suddenly walked in the
    door. He never answered 90% of my questions -- very basic ones like
    "how much does it cost?" -- though it was an interesting enough
    conversation otherwise where he told me about his bike races, his
    customer from Australia, the guy who works for him that specializes in
    recumbents....

    Before he excused himself with the near-equivalent of French Leave, I
    asked him whether I might wrap things up via e-mail. I could almost
    see him shrug casually -- "sure," he said.

    Three weeks now and no response.

    So I get in touch with another dealer, Northeast Recumbents. E-mailed,
    phoned, left messages...nothing. Finally got through to him last
    weekend, set up a look-see tomorrow. But there's rain in the forecast,
    and now this dealer is incommunicado.

    WTF?!

    Are my expectations out of order?

    The LBS on the next block from me where I got my Trek 1000c, the Bike
    Stop in Astoria, was another crazy place. The owner himself insisted
    on selling me the display model. It was in good condition, far as I
    can tell (though by the time I'd noticed some marks and scratches, a
    week had gone by and I couldn't be totally sure they weren't caused by
    me somehow), but apparently all bike shops insist you pay "new" prices
    for "good as new" bikes.

    Small matter that, sure enough -- but then the headset wasn't quite
    right. Turned out to be defective. But Gus, the owner, tried to
    convince me that its being loose was nothing to worry about! And
    indeed, I could ride the bike fine...but it just didn't feel right that
    I had a moving part where things are tight on other bikes.

    Or another LBS, in Manhattan, the Pedal Pushers...Evan over there is a
    nutcase. He's very charming and talkative like Peter Stull, but he's
    got a weird switch which somehow gets flipped and he'll go schizo on
    you with his passive-agressive act. One day I came in for a flat fix.
    While he was ringing up the sale, I noticed that my tire cap was gone
    and asked him where it was. He told me he put it outside the shop --
    ??? I asked him what he meant. He nodded incredulously at me and
    repeated that he left my tire cap outside. Not only was it a bizzare
    enough thing if true, but doubly strange was the fact that it wasn't
    true, he never touched my bike until I brought it in. So I asked him
    how could that be...he responded that, duh, how? I used my hands, you
    know, hands, and unscrewed it and gently placed it on the sidewalk. So
    I'm just really mystified at what's going on -- him swiping my card and
    all all this time -- and I ask him why would he do that.

    He goes, well, where do you put your TV in your place? I'm like, what?
    Where do you put your TV, he repeated. I asked him why. He said that
    just as I have my reasons for placing things in my apartment, so he has
    his reasons for organizing his shop the way he does (actually, it's
    owned by a sour old fart, Roger, who's absent half the time -- another
    neurotic cat).

    Now I ask you all; does that sound crazy or what?

    What's even more bizzare is that there was a line of customers behind
    me, every one non-plussed by the brief conversation.

    Tell me, is there some bike shop etiquette I didn't observe? Is there
    some kind of secret bike shop salute or handshake I should have
    employed? Did I bother them somehow by smiling?

    No. It does seem that most bike shops are filled with either dolts or
    surly putzes that are there to prove something...some sort of a power
    trip about the 'knowledgeable vs the not' or something.
    Even in Boulder we hear stories about some shops, and why they'll never
    go in 'there' again. I think great bike shops or stores, kinda by
    definition, don't do well in 'talking', I think sometimes from pressure
    to sell, sell, sell.

    Quoted message said:


    Honestly, I don't get it. Now I'll have to contact the fella over in
    State College, PA, for the Velotechnik SMGTe. I am not awarding ~$3K
    (maybe even more, if I don't contain my newfound lust of Rohloff
    gearboxes and other exotica) to folks who don't care enough for it to
    return a goddamned phone call or e-mail!

  17. Rich said:
    NYC XYZ said:

    Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood bike dealer?

    Maybe he went out of business talking to people that weren't buying stuff.

    Quoted message said:

    I contacted Peter Stull, "The Bicycleman," and though I found him
    friendly at first, after a long ten or thirteen-minute telephone
    conversation he hangs up on me 'cause a customer suddenly walked in the
    door.

    How much of his time did you expect? He's in business, and his first
    priority should be the people that made the effort to get to his store.
    He sounds friendly enough to me.

    The converstion in a retail place should in ALL cases be ended by the
    'customer', not the employee. A bike shop is supposed to be the expert,
    the person that listens and then, perhaps, sells. Sometimes it IS a
    chat room, and that's how you grow your biz. If a person is comfy just
    talking, then he will be comfy later giving you money. Pretty simple.
    NOTHING is so important in a toy store, that the employee shuts a
    person down, in order to talk to another, even if they have a $20 bill
    stuck in their nose, waiting to buy. The surly attitude displayed by
    some in this thread is WHY many bike shops go under. They commit
    suicide, they don't go outta biz.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    So I get in touch with another dealer, Northeast Recumbents. E-mailed,
    phoned, left messages...nothing. Finally got through to him last
    weekend, set up a look-see tomorrow. But there's rain in the forecast,
    and now this dealer is incommunicado.

    WTF?!

    They're running a business, not a chat room.

    Quoted message said:

    Are my expectations out of order?

    I think so.

    Rich

  18. Yo NYC XYZ, you're ready to [censored] and moan about a lot of stuff, but
    show a lot of thin skin when people don't agree with you and criticize
    you. I have to admit that there are a few bike shop guys who [censored] me
    off by being arrogant or aloof. I stay away from their stores! I go
    where the staff earns my bucks. So it seems to me that your complaints
    should go back to the bike shops, not here; but maybe it's a New York
    kinda thing. New Yorkers just seem to like to kvetch about everything.
    It seems that most of us don't care so much to hear your whining,
    though. You're beginning to sound a bit like a major jerk that posted
    here about his carbon M5. He was a total putz, and didn't like being
    told that he was. Kinda like Ed Dolan, but without Ed's staying power.
    Then Bram Moens finally posted witih the real story and our pet putz
    was exposed for the total shmuck he was! I wonder what Peter Stull's
    take on that conversation is?

    Go buy the Streetmachine. I have a Speedmachine and since I upgraded
    the brakes and a few other components, I think it's a fabulous piece of
    engineering and a fine ride.

    BTW three thou for a bike isn't all that much anymore. Have you taken a
    look at how much a good suspended mountain bike costs?

    You're complaint about the loose headset is valid and I would have
    chewed the shop guy a new [censored] when he didn't step up to fix it, if
    it was my bike. OTOH I've had to take my SM back to the shop ( not the
    shop where the SM came from, btw) a few times before the Maggys were
    bled properly. But the shop didn't give me any [censored] about follow up
    service, and the owner apologized for not getting it right the first
    time, so they are still number one in my book.

    It's been great shmoozing, but now I gotta go shovel a half foot of
    snow out of the driveway. BAH!

  19. NYC XYZ said:

    ...
    War of 1812...Mexican-American War...Spanish-American War...Phillipine
    Insurrection...Boxer Rebellion...The Great War...The Big
    One...Korea...Vietnam...Dominican Republic...Grenada...Gulf I and
    II....

    You forgot Panama - George H. W. Bush turning on his old CIA "asset"
    Manuel Noriega.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  20. NYC XYZ said:

    Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood bike dealer?

    Actually, I've never known one myself, but somehow I get the feeling
    that these guys are at least supposed to care where you spend your
    money.

    I contacted Peter Stull, "The Bicycleman," and though I found him
    friendly at first, after a long ten or thirteen-minute telephone
    conversation he hangs up on me 'cause a customer suddenly walked in the
    door. He never answered 90% of my questions -- very basic ones like
    "how much does it cost?" -- though it was an interesting enough
    conversation otherwise where he told me about his bike races, his
    customer from Australia, the guy who works for him that specializes in
    recumbents....

    Before he excused himself with the near-equivalent of French Leave, I
    asked him whether I might wrap things up via e-mail. I could almost
    see him shrug casually -- "sure," he said.

    Three weeks now and no response.

    So I get in touch with another dealer, Northeast Recumbents. E-mailed,
    phoned, left messages...nothing. Finally got through to him last
    weekend, set up a look-see tomorrow. But there's rain in the forecast,
    and now this dealer is incommunicado.

    WTF?!

    Are my expectations out of order?

    The LBS on the next block from me where I got my Trek 1000c, the Bike
    Stop in Astoria, was another crazy place. The owner himself insisted
    on selling me the display model. It was in good condition, far as I
    can tell (though by the time I'd noticed some marks and scratches, a
    week had gone by and I couldn't be totally sure they weren't caused by
    me somehow), but apparently all bike shops insist you pay "new" prices
    for "good as new" bikes.

    Small matter that, sure enough -- but then the headset wasn't quite
    right. Turned out to be defective. But Gus, the owner, tried to
    convince me that its being loose was nothing to worry about! And
    indeed, I could ride the bike fine...but it just didn't feel right that
    I had a moving part where things are tight on other bikes.

    Or another LBS, in Manhattan, the Pedal Pushers...Evan over there is a
    nutcase. He's very charming and talkative like Peter Stull, but he's
    got a weird switch which somehow gets flipped and he'll go schizo on
    you with his passive-agressive act. One day I came in for a flat fix.
    While he was ringing up the sale, I noticed that my tire cap was gone
    and asked him where it was. He told me he put it outside the shop --
    ??? I asked him what he meant. He nodded incredulously at me and
    repeated that he left my tire cap outside. Not only was it a bizzare
    enough thing if true, but doubly strange was the fact that it wasn't
    true, he never touched my bike until I brought it in. So I asked him
    how could that be...he responded that, duh, how? I used my hands, you
    know, hands, and unscrewed it and gently placed it on the sidewalk. So
    I'm just really mystified at what's going on -- him swiping my card and
    all all this time -- and I ask him why would he do that.

    He goes, well, where do you put your TV in your place? I'm like, what?
    Where do you put your TV, he repeated. I asked him why. He said that
    just as I have my reasons for placing things in my apartment, so he has
    his reasons for organizing his shop the way he does (actually, it's
    owned by a sour old fart, Roger, who's absent half the time -- another
    neurotic cat).

    Now I ask you all; does that sound crazy or what?

    What's even more bizzare is that there was a line of customers behind
    me, every one non-plussed by the brief conversation.

    Tell me, is there some bike shop etiquette I didn't observe? Is there
    some kind of secret bike shop salute or handshake I should have
    employed? Did I bother them somehow by smiling?

    Honestly, I don't get it. Now I'll have to contact the fella over in
    State College, PA, for the Velotechnik SMGTe. I am not awarding ~$3K
    (maybe even more, if I don't contain my newfound lust of Rohloff
    gearboxes and other exotica) to folks who don't care enough for it to
    return a goddamned phone call or e-mail!


    For anyone who can manage the travel, if required, there is no one like
    Kelvin Clark of Angletech in Woodland Park, CO
    http://www.angletechcycles.com/index.html
    I have purchased 2 bents from him. I have spent many hours--more than
    12--at his shop riding and talking, dozens of phone conversations and
    dozens of emails. Satisfaction guaranteed. Highest quality. No churning.
    Always alternative suggestions for highest end components when
    suggested. I could go on and on but 'nuff said.' And I live 400 miles
    from him.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.