UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bad service from Trek.

Started by Simon Mason · · Last activity · 21 posts · 1,245 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 March 2006
Last activity
21 March 2006
Original author
Simon Mason
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,245
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. After 3 months the rear wheel (Bontrager Select) on my Trek 1400 is
    knackered. No problem I thought, just take it to the nearest Trek dealer and
    they will get a replacement under guarantee. Not so. LBS rings up Trek to
    say that the bearings are shot and gets the reply that it's *my* fault as
    I've let water and muck get into the hub!

    So now LBS tries to sell me two (they only come in pars) new Bonty wheels -
    as if I want anymore to do with the manufacturer of a wheel that falls to
    bits after 12 weeks! Now I have to buy an odd Shimano 105 rear wheel for 60
    quid and to add insult to injury, I knackered the RHS STI lever when putting
    the bike in the back of the car which is 80 quid plus labour and they won't
    have any in until mid April.

    OK, the bike was a "free" insurance job, but I won't be buying Trek or Bonty
    in the future. In fact, if and when the weather picks up they can keep the
    thing until next winter and I'll get out the Fondriest with some decent
    Mavic Ksyrium wheels on. Oh and Campag levers that don't bend when they
    press against a car roof.

    OT: To those who remember the spy number station Radio 4 programme I was
    on - the MOSSAD sent a message saying "goodnight" the other evening! See:

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page69.html
    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  2. Looking at the Trek website, I notice that the wheels on their commuter
    bike are also Bontrager Select (same except using disk brakes). So
    unless the hub is radically different when using disk brakes, it seems,
    to me, that they, Trek, expect the wheel to be acceptable for commuting
    purposes.

    Now, when I've commuted by bike, I commute rain or shine. I don't stay
    at home because it's raining.

    It is not reasonable to have to service the hub on a commuter bike
    after a couple of rides in the rain. I've no idea whether it would be
    reasonable to have to do so on a racing bike.

    I think Trek is in the wrong here.

    On a side note, has anyone tried the Trek commuter bike? Depending on
    where I land my next job, I hope to be in a position to commute by bike
    and I might need to buy a new bike (be it new or just new to me).

    Jeff

  3. I have also had problems with the Bontrager wheels. After 6 months the Selects on my 1500 started come apart with the spokes pulling the rims apart. Got the rims replaced by warranty, put had to pay for the wheels rebuilt and new spokes. the rims were replaced with the Race version, but the back wheel has no lateral strength and bowed out of shape within a month.

    Add to all this the hubs also started the clicking noise that they are well know for.

    Sent a email to Trek, no reply; called Trek and spoke to someone who promised to call back and never did. its a pity because Trek build good bikes, crappy wheels, but good bikes.

    I ended up buying a set of DT Swiss 1.2's with Ultegra hubs and they are great. do yourself a favor don't replace with Bontrager wheels.

  4. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    After 3 months the rear wheel (Bontrager Select) on my Trek 1400 is
    knackered. No problem I thought, just take it to the nearest Trek dealer
    and they will get a replacement under guarantee. Not so. LBS rings up Trek
    to say that the bearings are shot and gets the reply that it's *my* fault
    as I've let water and muck get into the hub!

    So now LBS tries to sell me two (they only come in pars) new Bonty
    wheels - as if I want anymore to do with the manufacturer of a wheel that
    falls to bits after 12 weeks! Now I have to buy an odd Shimano 105 rear
    wheel for 60 quid and to add insult to injury, I knackered the RHS STI
    lever when putting the bike in the back of the car which is 80 quid plus
    labour and they won't have any in until mid April.

    OK, the bike was a "free" insurance job, but I won't be buying Trek or
    Bonty in the future. In fact, if and when the weather picks up they can
    keep the thing until next winter and I'll get out the Fondriest with some
    decent Mavic Ksyrium wheels on. Oh and Campag levers that don't bend when
    they press against a car roof.

    OT: To those who remember the spy number station Radio 4 programme I was
    on - the MOSSAD sent a message saying "goodnight" the other evening! See:

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page69.html
    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net


    oops, sorry, I sent my message to your email address instead of here.

    I'm not condoning poor quality hubs/build, but I always strip down new hubs
    to apply my own grease and to make sure the adjustment of the cones is
    correct.

    But to use a bike over a few weeks and for this to happen strikes me that
    either the hubs weren't set up correctly or there was a distinct lack of
    grease.

    John

  5. "James Annan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Mason said:

    "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:


    IMO a wheel that fails so soon was not fit for purpose, so you could sue
    them if you can be bothered.

    No point really for 60 quid - maybe a letter to a cycling mag might do more
    damage ;-)

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  6. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    No point really for 60 quid - maybe a letter to a cycling mag might do
    more damage ;-)


    And putting this info on your website which has a *very* high Google ranking
    indeed..

    If this wheel can't hold up to an average winter in the North of Britain,
    than clearly it *is* rubbish.

    The (sealed) Shimano hubs on my tourer are still in fairly good shape after
    4,500 miles including some fairly muddy conditions such as the
    Chilterns/Thames Path in autumn/winter and the Ridgeway in early spring.

    I reckon Trek have actually done a lot of damage to their brand for the
    fairly insignificant cost of the wheel - if you search for *anything*
    relating to cycling on Google UK either Simon or Guy's sites feature *very*
    prominently - both of them have become pretty much authoritative British
    on-line voices and reference sources in this field, rather like a modern
    version of those DIY manuals or engineering books of the 1950s.

    Must be the moustaches 🙂

    Alex
    --
    Mr R@T / General Lighting
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
    http://www.partyvibe.com
    TBH this

  7. Simon Mason said:


    "James Annan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Mason said:

    "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:


    IMO a wheel that fails so soon was not fit for purpose, so you could sue
    them if you can be bothered.

    No point really for 60 quid - maybe a letter to a cycling mag might do more
    damage ;-)

    Would an email to trading standards help? The purchase was between
    you and the retailer, it is the retailer who should replace the faulty
    part, it is then they who can take the matter up with the
    manufacturer.

    At least, I think this is how it works - trading standards I have
    found to be very efficient.

    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

    More specifically the site below spells out what you should expect:

    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0043-1011.txt
    --
    Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
    are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
    to ride a stationary bicycle. -
    Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)

  8. "Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    And putting this info on your website which has a *very* high Google
    ranking indeed..

    My ranking comes from the Shortwave Espionage section, not cycling related
    stuff. I was surprised though to type in "Safety Videos" once on Google
    using "pages from the UK" and be the nr 1 hit, even above ROSPA and the
    Dept. for Transport. I see that I'm in 3rd place behind them today though!

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  9. "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Would an email to trading standards help? The purchase was between
    you and the retailer, it is the retailer who should replace the faulty
    part, it is then they who can take the matter up with the
    manufacturer.


    The problem is that it's an insurance job and the bike came from a depot in
    S. Wales that the insurance company uses to replace stolen bikes. If I'd
    bought it locally I could deal with the shop directly. Trek's advice is to
    visit their local dealer who will inspect it then report their findings back
    to Trek, which I did. Trek then said it was my fault for letting water get
    into the hub.

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  10. Simon Mason said:


    "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Would an email to trading standards help? The purchase was between
    you and the retailer, it is the retailer who should replace the faulty
    part, it is then they who can take the matter up with the
    manufacturer.


    The problem is that it's an insurance job and the bike came from a depot in
    S. Wales that the insurance company uses to replace stolen bikes. If I'd
    bought it locally I could deal with the shop directly. Trek's advice is to
    visit their local dealer who will inspect it then report their findings back
    to Trek, which I did. Trek then said it was my fault for letting water get
    into the hub.

    An email for advice to Trading Standards can't hurt. Perhaps they'll
    tell you that the contract is between you and the insurance company -
    in which case you can put pressure on them to chase up Trek.
    --
    Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
    are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
    to ride a stationary bicycle. -
    Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)

  11. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My ranking comes from the Shortwave Espionage section, not cycling
    related


    stuff.

    Indeed so - I used to read your site long before I started cycling...

    it seems that once you have a high google rank on a site almost anything you
    put on there (provided its not a deliberate attempt to increase this
    ranking) also seems to get a high rating - fair enough given that many sites
    have a diverse range of content which could reflect many interests and sites
    with content such as blogs/wikis/messageboards cover many different
    subjects.

    "Cycling in Hull" also shows your site as a high rating, and for those
    actively researching cycling related matters (worldwide) its practically
    impossible to do a google search *without* coming across your site, Guy's
    site, or Sheldon's (if you are also looking across the pond).

    Alex
    --
    Mr R@T / General Lighting
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
    http://www.partyvibe.com

  12. John said:


    I'm not condoning poor quality hubs/build, but I always strip down new hubs
    to apply my own grease and to make sure the adjustment of the cones is
    correct.

    I've just retired a Campag Chorus rear hub after six years service, the last
    three of those on my winter bike. In that time I never once regreased it,
    opened the hub or did anything to it. It finally failed when the flange
    sheared in half.

    *That's* what I expect from a modern hub.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  13. Arthur Clune said:

    It finally failed when the flange
    sheared in half.

    *That's* what I expect from a modern hub.

    I hope not!!!

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  14. Tony Raven said:
    Arthur Clune said:

    It finally failed when the flange
    sheared in half.

    I hope not!!!

    Given the hard life and total lack of maintence, I wasn't that bothered.

    What was bizarre was that I rode the bike 30 miles home from work one night
    and all was fine. In the morning, the hub had gone.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  15. Simon Mason said:

    The problem is that it's an insurance job and the bike came from a depot in
    S. Wales that the insurance company uses to replace stolen bikes. If I'd
    bought it locally I could deal with the shop directly. Trek's advice is to
    visit their local dealer who will inspect it then report their findings back
    to Trek, which I did. Trek then said it was my fault for letting water get
    into the hub.

    That's preposterous. If all you did was ride it in the rain, how could
    you possibly have prevented water from getting into the hub? What are
    they going to say next, that you shouldn't expose it to the atmosphere,
    or temperatures below 5 deg. C?

    In the circumstances under which you've used your bike it's clear to me
    that signs of water damage indicate some kind of fault with the hub,
    either manufacturing or assembly. To say you let water get into it
    implies negligence on your part. However, it's the hub that let in
    water, not you who let water get into the hub.I wonder if they've had a
    high incidence of this problem and have decided to adopt this stance to
    avoid a high replacement cost.

    --
    Dave...

  16. Arthur Clune said:
    John said:

    I'm not condoning poor quality hubs/build, but I always strip down
    new hubs to apply my own grease and to make sure the adjustment of
    the cones is correct.

    Worth checking the cone adjustment even with the best hubs (with types
    that have cones, that is).

    Quoted message said:

    I've just retired a Campag Chorus rear hub after six years service,
    the last three of those on my winter bike. In that time I never once
    regreased it, opened the hub or did anything to it. It finally failed
    when the flange sheared in half.

    *That's* what I expect from a modern hub.

    An expensive hub, that is. And those who aren't expecting the flange to
    fail might want to regrease every now and then to help the hub last longer
    than six years, especially with certain cheaper hubs that aren't so well
    sealed.

    ~PB

  17. "dkahn400" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Mason said:

    The problem is that it's an insurance job and the bike came from a


    depot in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    S. Wales that the insurance company uses to replace stolen bikes. If


    I'd

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bought it locally I could deal with the shop directly. Trek's advice


    is to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    visit their local dealer who will inspect it then report their


    findings back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to Trek, which I did. Trek then said it was my fault for letting water


    get

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    into the hub.

    That's preposterous. If all you did was ride it in the rain, how could
    you possibly have prevented water from getting into the hub?

    I agree with that but the practical problem is more continuing to use it
    once water has got in.

    Quoted message said:

    What are
    they going to say next, that you shouldn't expose it to the atmosphere,
    or temperatures below 5 deg. C?

    In the circumstances under which you've used your bike it's clear to me
    that signs of water damage indicate some kind of fault with the hub,
    either manufacturing or assembly. To say you let water get into it
    implies negligence on your part. However, it's the hub that let in
    water, not you who let water get into the hub.I wonder if they've had a
    high incidence of this problem and have decided to adopt this stance to
    avoid a high replacement cost.

    With a hub that isn't well sealed, it's sensible to service it after it's
    had a lot of exposure to water, even if that's after just one ride! It's
    also sensible not to use that hub in the first place for winter commuting.
    Cheapo basic type hubs just have "dust caps" that easily let water
    through, where it can emulsify the grease and wreck the bearings. You
    could claim that you've been sold hubs that aren't fit for the pupose,
    assuming the seller knew or was told the purpose.

    The water thing may be a red herring if the cones weren't adjusted
    properly in the first place (assuming non-cartridge hub).

    ~PB

  18. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message

    Quoted message said:

    Cheapo basic type hubs just have "dust caps" that easily let water
    through, where it can emulsify the grease and wreck the bearings. You
    could claim that you've been sold hubs that aren't fit for the pupose,
    assuming the seller knew or was told the purpose.

    This is a bike that retailed at 1200 quid new! You would expect better
    quality parts for that amount of cash. My Raleigh hybrid has 40 quid Halford
    parallax wheels on, has been through 6 winters and had all sorts of [censored]
    thrown at it and is still running perfectly well.

    Trek's reply today: They seem to be shifting the blame onto the dealer now.

    I am extremely sorry to hear that the store did not feel your wheel was a
    warranty claim. Without seeing the wheel myself I cannot comment on the
    issues raised by the store, however our stores are generally very good and
    will offer a few options, if there is not a warranty claim. Did the store
    explain why they did not feel that your wheel was a warranty claim? I may
    be able to source a replacement wheel as a good will gesture although I do
    notice that you have sourced yourself a replacement already. Please contact
    me and let me know. I would also be quite keen to hear why your wheel was
    refused.

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  19. Simon Mason said:

    Trek's reply today: They seem to be shifting the blame onto the
    dealer now.

    IME, it's the dealer who hs to make the claim.

  20. Simon Bennett said:
    Simon Mason said:

    Trek's reply today: They seem to be shifting the blame onto the
    dealer now.

    IME, it's the dealer who hs to make the claim.

    It sounds to me like the LBS couldn't be arsed with the bother of
    taking on the warranty claim.
    --
    Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
    are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
    to ride a stationary bicycle. -
    Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.