Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Bad 'style' bikes..

Started by GPLama · · Last activity · 32 posts · 2,174 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
10 November 2005
Last activity
17 November 2005
Original author
GPLama
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,174
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–32 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Marx SS said:

    But I was raised on 3-spd Dragsters in the '70s. :o

    ...was there any other kind of bike?

    Blue Malvern Star with blue spangly seat complete with revving copper-style-sound-maker on right handlebar!

    was an absolute bee-arch to ride up Balwyn Rd hill (headind south up to Belmore Rd - nastee!) but i made it!

    somehow it just made me a vaguely OK sprinter and [censored] hillclimber
    🙄

    I blame beer. for everything. especially the morning after 😄

  2. SteveA said:
    Donga said:

    Swoon. I want a dragster with stickshift, banana seat and sissy bar.
    Not the tassells though.

    Donga

    The stick shift on the top bar is now banned for safety reasons. How
    many of us who rode dragsters or choppers inthe 70's got de-knackered
    (or the female equivalent) by them? :eek:

    Anyway if top mounted stick shifts on bikes did have such an effect,
    surely they would just be removing the less skillful from the gene-pool
    (apologies to the crash bandicoots who frequent this forum) so they
    could not breed more of their type. 😄

    Steve(Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwww)A

    had my Dragster when I attended HS in the late 60s, don't recall landing
    on the stick on my bike, however one of my mates had managed to snap his
    gear shift off halfway thru one of the lightening holes, this is with
    normal use, now that would have hurt had he landed on it 😉

  3. Mal said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <dons flameproof leather jacket>

    Quoted message said:

    But it probably goes faster than a Harley.

    Quoted message said:

    <ducks behind Brett>

    ... and is a darn sight easier to push up the hill ...

    <ducks behind Brett & Dave ...>
    MalP

    I once rode out to flowerdale pub. Placidly in no hurry watching the
    guy on front on an 883 harley sportster, making a lot of noise and
    coming close to scraping as it went er.. fast.

    Stop at the lights next to him. Harley driver says ¨you should get a
    fast motorbike mate¨

    Me ¨Pardon¨

    Him.. ¨whats the point in owning a slow motorcyle... you should get a
    fast one¨

    Me ¨ This is a VF 500 F mate¨

    Him, ¨see its a pissy little jap 500¨

    Me ¨Thats an 883 harley you are on mate¨ Still wondering if he is serious.

    Him ¨Yeah I would rather own a real bike¨

    Me ¨ Can it do this tho mate¨ As light changes green and I whack the
    throttle open.. shift into second with the front wheel in the air and
    look in the mirrors to see him still sitting there.

    Some people are totally clueless.

    Dave

  4. --
    Frank
    [email hidden]
    Drop DACKS to reply
    "Stuart Lamble" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mal said:
    Quoted message said:

    > <dons flameproof leather jacket>

    Quoted message said:

    But it probably goes faster than a Harley.

    Quoted message said:

    <ducks behind Brett>

    ... and is a darn sight easier to push up the hill ...

    ... and runs with much less trouble ...

    Quoted message said:

    <ducks behind Brett & Dave ...>

    *dives behind Brett, Dave, and Mal*


    .... and both are owned by people of about the same developmental level

    *hides behind the rest and blames them...*

  5. --
    Frank
    [email hidden]
    Drop DACKS to reply
    "eddiec" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Donga said:

    Bought for said kid by moronic parent, living out his own dreams
    through his children.

    Or quite possibly bought by parent due to the kids insistence that
    'this' is the bike they want(purely because it looks cool or because
    Fred/Ethel have one) despite the parent's consideration of a more
    mainstream bike due to it being sensible (how boring for a kid!)...
    Kids desires aren't always for the practical - Which I'm reminded of
    everytime I see a schoolkid riding home on a jump-style mountainbike
    with the saddle down as low as it can go, tilted painfully backwards
    and knees around their ears.

    I envy kid's ability to play and not worry about stuff like seat angles and
    efficiency. Wouldn't it be nice if us old farts could just ride for the fun
    of it instead of having to justify our pleasures in terms of environmental
    benefit, health, etc. and concerning ourselves with the trivia of CF vs
    aluminium and all the other grown-up stuff that makes riding an intellectual
    activity instead of just plain, unadorned fun?

    Frank

  6. Plodder said:

    --
    Frank
    [email hidden]
    Drop DACKS to reply
    "eddiec" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Donga said:

    Bought for said kid by moronic parent, living out his own dreams
    through his children.

    Or quite possibly bought by parent due to the kids insistence that
    'this' is the bike they want(purely because it looks cool or because
    Fred/Ethel have one) despite the parent's consideration of a more
    mainstream bike due to it being sensible (how boring for a kid!)...
    Kids desires aren't always for the practical - Which I'm reminded of
    everytime I see a schoolkid riding home on a jump-style mountainbike
    with the saddle down as low as it can go, tilted painfully backwards
    and knees around their ears.

    I envy kid's ability to play and not worry about stuff like seat angles and
    efficiency. Wouldn't it be nice if us old farts could just ride for the fun
    of it instead of having to justify our pleasures in terms of environmental
    benefit, health, etc. and concerning ourselves with the trivia of CF vs
    aluminium and all the other grown-up stuff that makes riding an intellectual
    activity instead of just plain, unadorned fun?

    Frank

    Hey I ride for fun!
    That's the idea of studying and working hard is so you can earn more
    money for better toys. I thought that's why all grown ups worked.

    Marty

  7. Plodder said:

    --

    I envy kid's ability to play and not worry about stuff like seat angles and
    efficiency. Wouldn't it be nice if us old farts could just ride for the fun
    of it instead of having to justify our pleasures in terms of environmental
    benefit, health, etc. and concerning ourselves with the trivia of CF vs
    aluminium and all the other grown-up stuff that makes riding an intellectual
    activity instead of just plain, unadorned fun?

    Frank


    As kids, we rode dragsters, postie bikes (made of lead pipe, 1 speed, coaster brake, adult size frame about 8 sizes too big for a kid) and anything we could modify to make it look different to what our parents would like, eg ape hanger or other weird handlebars, wrong size wheels, bent frames, sissy bars and funny saddles, extended forks. Everything that made a bike harder to balance, harder to pedal and generally harder to ride. A mate had a bike with no saddle but a combination of foam and electrical tape wrapped around the top tube that he parked his [censored] on.

    And we rode heaps. Everywhere.

    Kids will ride bikes if they think the bike is cool, irrespective of whether it is a good bike by our technical standards.

    SteveA

  8. Plodder said:


    I envy kid's ability to play and not worry about stuff like seat angles and efficiency. Wouldn't it be nice if us old farts could just ride for the fun of it instead of having to justify our pleasures in terms of environmental benefit, health, etc. and concerning ourselves with the trivia of CF vs aluminium and all the other grown-up stuff that makes riding an intellectual activity instead of just plain, unadorned fun?

    I never rode 100k when I was a kid. But I do now. Things like seat angles and efficiency wouldn't be important to a kid, but obviously now it makes a big difference to me.
    An adult, if they only ride a few kay, like a kid, will not need to worry about positioning, etc.

    hippy
    - purple glitter seat, 3spd SA gripshift, ape-hangers

  9. hippy said:
    Plodder said:

    I envy kid's ability to play and not worry about stuff like seat angles
    and efficiency. Wouldn't it be nice if us old farts could just ride for
    the fun of it instead of having to justify our pleasures in terms of
    environmental benefit, health, etc. and concerning ourselves with the
    trivia of CF vs aluminium and all the other grown-up stuff that makes
    riding an intellectual activity instead of just plain, unadorned fun?

    I never rode 100k when I was a kid. But I do now. Things like seat
    angles and efficiency wouldn't be important to a kid, but obviously now
    it makes a big difference to me.
    An adult, if they only ride a few kay, like a kid, will not need to
    worry about positioning, etc.

    hippy
    - purple glitter seat, 3spd SA gripshift, ape-hangers


    I did several 100k and more rides before I was 16. 3speeds, mudguards,
    lights and regular clothes, none of this fancy lycra!

    And yes we did live in a cardboard box before anyone asks

  10. "cfsmtb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Marx SS said:

    But I was raised on 3-spd Dragsters in the '70s. :o

    ...was there any other kind of bike?

    I still got one, lovingly covered in rainbow fur, green quilted banana
    seat, tassells and twin overhead bells. Since the passing of the Melb
    Fringe Parade I've had nowhere to ride it. (*sob*)

    <ducks behind everyone else & pops a wheelie>

    --
    cfsmtb

    Ride it to Goat.

  11. Resound said:


    Ride it to Goat.

    Don't tempt me, or I'll turn up in the Matching Cat Suit too ...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/cfsmtb/100_3234.jpg

  12. "cfsmtb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Resound said:


    Ride it to Goat.

    Don't tempt me, or I'll turn up in the Matching Cat Suit too ...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/cfsmtb/100_3234.jpg

    --
    cfsmtb

    Consider yourself tempted. Not this week though as I'm not sure I'm going to
    make it.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.