General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

bagged salad question

Started by neobunny · · Last activity · 29 posts · 718 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 February 2006
Last activity
4 February 2006
Original author
neobunny
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
718
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–29 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. i like DOLE brands, FIELD GREENS.................my kids call it "GRASS AND
    WEEDS"

    --

    i like your christ, i do not like your christians. your christians are
    so unlike your christ.
    ................................................gandhi

    "jbuch" <jbuch@CUT_HERE.revealed.net> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    neobunny said:

    What are some good tasting bagged salad blends? I usaully get the
    'european' blend bagged salad at the store, but I wanted to try some
    other kind & I'm not sure what I would like. I don't want to buy a
    different kind of blend & then not like it & have to throw it away. Any
    suggestions for someone who's not to big on salads to begin with?

    neobunny

    I always add stuff to the salad mixes. Pick one or two or more from the
    list.

    Diced or sliced cucumbers
    Sliced green onions
    Sliced mushrooms
    Bean sprouts
    Sliced snow peas
    Sliced green beans
    Tomatos sliced
    Avocados sliced
    Purple or red cabbage
    Some bottled salad sprinkles
    Crumbled bacon
    Smoked Oysters
    Cheese of many kinds

    So, if the actual salad mix is just so-so, you end up with something that
    tastes good.

    You can even make plain old iceburg lettuce taste good.

    Jim

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book
    3) Don't Diet Without Supplimental Nutrients... Chapter 23 title, Atkins
    book
    4) A sensible eating plan, and follow it. (Atkins, Self Made or Other)

  2. "Nugget heads revenge" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Bagged salads are really bad for you. e-coli is a risk and they are often
    chlorine washed.

    wasn't that rumor shot down years ago?
    i use DOLE products and have had no problem.


  3. Quoted message said:

    And they add chlorine to all municipal water in the US, don't they?

    yes, they do!

  4. very interesting read..............................but not a reason to stop
    using prepared bagged salad mixes.
    i'd be more afraid of eating in some people's homes.
    where they don't have signs up telling the cooks and servers to wash their
    hands!
    😉

    "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.marlerclark.com/news/dole001.htm

    google e-coli and bagged salad

  5. x-no-archive: yes

    Laureen said:

    I used to eat quite a bit of bagged salad but did notice a funky taste
    to it. It did make me wonder what kind of chemicals they treated it
    with. After I had WLS and continued my LC lifestyle, I didnt want to
    chance anything upsetting my touchy sensitive digestive tract so I
    switched to romaine hearts from Costco. My friend eats the baggedhttp://earthboundfarm.com/Products/QualityFoodSafety.aspx
    salad and is annoyed with the funky taste ( but she still buys it) and
    uses a salad spinner. She washes the lettuce real well then lets the
    salad sit in ice water for 10 minutes and then spins it out and serves
    it. I have eaten hers a couple of time and it tastes way better with
    the hearty washing first.
    Laureen

    neobunny said:

    What are some good tasting bagged salad blends? I usaully get the
    'european' blend bagged salad at the store, but I wanted to try some other
    kind & I'm not sure what I would like. I don't want to buy a different kind
    of blend & then not like it & have to throw it away. Any suggestions for
    someone who's not to big on salads to begin with?

    neobunny

    I only eat bagged salad from a company called Earthbound Farm, mostly
    their mixed baby greens. They are well washed in a chlorine bath, and
    in several years, I've never found a piece of grit, insect, dirt or
    anything that didn't belong in the bag, no matter how closely I've
    inspected. Here's a description of their processing/packaging process,
    which is clearly working well. I have no interest in the company,
    accept as a satisfied long time consumer:

    http://earthboundfarm.com/Products/QualityFoodSafety.aspx

    Susan

  6. x-no-archive: yes

    Susan said:

    I only eat bagged salad from a company called Earthbound Farm, mostly
    their mixed baby greens. They are well washed in a chlorine bath, and
    in several years, I've never found a piece of grit, insect, dirt or
    anything that didn't belong in the bag, no matter how closely I've
    inspected. Here's a description of their processing/packaging process,
    which is clearly working well. I have no interest in the company,
    accept as a satisfied long time consumer:

    http://earthboundfarm.com/Products/QualityFoodSafety.aspx

    Susan

    P.S. No on in my home has ever discerned a funky taste, other than the
    stronger flavors one gets from radicchio, arugula, and the various
    greens in the mix.

    Susan

  7. thanks susan, i will look for this brand!

    --

    i like your christ, i do not like your christians. your christians are
    so unlike your christ.
    ................................................gandhi

    "Susan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    Laureen said:

    I used to eat quite a bit of bagged salad but did notice a funky taste
    to it. It did make me wonder what kind of chemicals they treated it
    with. After I had WLS and continued my LC lifestyle, I didnt want to
    chance anything upsetting my touchy sensitive digestive tract so I
    switched to romaine hearts from Costco. My friend eats the
    baggedhttp://earthboundfarm.com/Products/QualityFoodSafety.aspx
    salad and is annoyed with the funky taste ( but she still buys it) and
    uses a salad spinner. She washes the lettuce real well then lets the
    salad sit in ice water for 10 minutes and then spins it out and serves
    it. I have eaten hers a couple of time and it tastes way better with
    the hearty washing first.
    Laureen

    neobunny said:

    What are some good tasting bagged salad blends? I usaully get the
    'european' blend bagged salad at the store, but I wanted to try some
    other
    kind & I'm not sure what I would like. I don't want to buy a different
    kind
    of blend & then not like it & have to throw it away. Any suggestions for
    someone who's not to big on salads to begin with?

    neobunny

    I only eat bagged salad from a company called Earthbound Farm, mostly
    their mixed baby greens. They are well washed in a chlorine bath, and in
    several years, I've never found a piece of grit, insect, dirt or anything
    that didn't belong in the bag, no matter how closely I've inspected.
    Here's a description of their processing/packaging process, which is
    clearly working well. I have no interest in the company, accept as a
    satisfied long time consumer:

    http://earthboundfarm.com/Products/QualityFoodSafety.aspx

    Susan


  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Susan

    P.S. No on in my home has ever discerned a funky taste, other than the
    stronger flavors one gets from radicchio, arugula, and the various greens
    in the mix.

    Susan

    i haven't noticed a "funky" taste either..................of course, maybe
    my FULL FAT MARZETTIS is covering it up!
    🙂

  9. "Laureen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I used to eat quite a bit of bagged salad but did notice a funky taste
    to it. It did make me wonder what kind of chemicals they treated it
    with. After I had WLS and continued my LC lifestyle, I didnt want to
    chance anything upsetting my touchy sensitive digestive tract so I
    switched to romaine hearts from Costco. My friend eats the bagged
    salad and is annoyed with the funky taste ( but she still buys it) and
    uses a salad spinner. She washes the lettuce real well then lets the
    salad sit in ice water for 10 minutes and then spins it out and serves
    it. I have eaten hers a couple of time and it tastes way better with
    the hearty washing first.
    Laureen


    Iworked in a hospital kitchen when I was in high school and when we made
    salads - they put them in a big tub and put water in them and we sprinkled
    some kind of powder on them - to keep them from turning brown and it gave
    them a slightly different taste. Could be what the companies do - so
    washing the salad thoroughly may take some of the preservative taste away
    from the salad.
    Diane

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.