UK and Europe · Public discussion

Baggy gel shorts?

Started by Edward Hibbert · · Last activity · 10 posts · 772 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
13 March 2006
Last activity
15 March 2006
Original author
Edward Hibbert
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
772
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm after some shorts padded with gel, and I'm not a big fan of the lycra
    look. Someone has pointed me at this, in the US

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SP604B03-Canari+Canyon+Gel+Pro+Baggy+Shorts.aspx

    Anyone know of similar things available in the UK?

    Also suggestions for padded gloves would be welcome.

  2. in message <[email hidden]>, Edward Hibbert

    (') said:

    I'm after some shorts padded with gel, and I'm not a big fan of the
    lycra
    look. Someone has pointed me at this, in the US


    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SP604B03-Canari+Canyon+Gel+Pro+Baggy+Shorts.aspx

    Quoted message said:


    Anyone know of similar things available in the UK?

    Yes, but /do/ avoid them. I stupidly bought a pair last year - complete
    style-free zone, no-one could look in the least smart in them. And I'm
    someone who habitually wears shorts even when off the bike. But bike
    shorts, if they're to do their job, have to be fairly long, and the
    result is embarrassingly awful.

    Quoted message said:

    Also suggestions for padded gloves would be welcome.

    I have some Endura ones which are very good (come to think of it, I think
    those awful shorts were Endura, too).

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    'graveyards are full of indispensable people'

  3. Edward Hibbert said:

    I'm after some shorts padded with gel, and I'm not a big fan of the lycra
    look. Someone has pointed me at this, in the US

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SP604B03-Canari+Canyon+Gel+Pro+Baggy+Shorts.aspx

    Anyone know of similar things available in the UK?

    Not sure about that, but if you don't want the clingy lycra look, how
    about going with plain under short liners, then regular
    shorts/trousers over that.

    Something like these:

    http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=SHLALM01&desc=ALTURA+MENS+PADDED+UNDERSHORTS

    (Other brands and prices available of course)

    "Bob"
    --

    Email address is spam trapped, to reply directly remove the beverage.

  4. Edward Hibbert said:

    I'm after some shorts padded with gel

    Any particular reason why? There seems to be a current marketing thing
    that "gel==good", but it often isn't much better than the stuff folk
    have been using for years.

    Quoted message said:

    and I'm not a big fan of the lycra look.

    Just pull your favourite shorts over the close fitting ones is one
    option that should work okay. You can also get padded undies that will
    sit under the baggy shorts of your choice.

    Quoted message said:

    Also suggestions for padded gloves would be welcome.

    Thing about gloves is they need to fit /your/ hands. Not so much of an
    issue with fingerless track mitts, but if you're after full gloves
    trying them on and making sure the fingers are the right length and they
    feel comfy on you is a Good Thing.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. Quoted message said:

    Not sure about that, but if you don't want the clingy lycra look, how
    about going with plain under short liners, then regular
    shorts/trousers over that.

    Something like these:

    http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=SHLALM01&desc=ALTURA+MENS+PADDED+UNDERSHORTS

    (Other brands and prices available of course)

    Such as these. I use them under a random selection of cheap shorts and
    running tights
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&ProdID=-813066207

    Nobody need ever know!

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Clinch
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Edward Hibbert said:

    I'm after some shorts padded with gel

    Quoted message said:

    Just pull your favourite shorts over the close fitting ones is one
    option that should work okay. You can also get padded undies that will
    sit under the baggy shorts of your choice.

    Quoted message said:

    Also suggestions for padded gloves would be welcome.

    Thing about gloves is they need to fit /your/ hands. Not so much of an
    issue with fingerless track mitts, but if you're after full gloves
    trying them on and making sure the fingers are the right length and
    they feel comfy on you is a Good Thing.

    This can be solved in a similar fashion to the shorts dilemma - I wear
    Altura padded underwear under my usual shorts or longs, and I wear my
    gel palmed fingerless mitts under a cheap pair of fleece gloves, which
    are fine for this kind of weather.

    --
    congokid
    Eating out in London? Read my tips...
    http://congokid.com

  7. Call me Bob said:


    Not sure about that, but if you don't want the clingy lycra look, how
    about going with plain under short liners, then regular
    shorts/trousers over that.

    Something like these:

    http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=SHLALM01&desc=ALTURA+MENS+PADDED+UNDERSHORTS

    (Other brands and prices available of course)


    Indeed these and similar are a good solution. One thing to watch for
    with padded undershorts is - make sure they're not cotton. I have
    some cotton ones from Madison and they can get unpleasantly soggy
    quite quickly - especailly the padded bit :-(
    Most of them are made of proper wicking material and should be fine.

    --

    John

  8. Ok, I'll abandon the gel idea and get myself some new undies. Ta.

  9. Safest way is to get a recumbent. Then you can wear what you like.

    Best regards

    Rod King

    Windcheetah #456

    "Edward Hibbert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm after some shorts padded with gel, and I'm not a big fan of the lycra
    look. Someone has pointed me at this, in the US


    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SP604B03-Canari+Canyon+Gel+Pro+Baggy+
    Shorts.aspx

    Quoted message said:


    Anyone know of similar things available in the UK?

    Also suggestions for padded gloves would be welcome.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>, Rod

    King () said:

    Safest way is to get a recumbent. Then you can wear what you like.

    Up to a point, Lord Copper. I will not go into the delicate matter of
    what transpires in my kecks during a 200, suffice it to say that without
    some form of underwear parts of me light up and say "tilt"...

    Eschew baggy shorts unless you are fond of Wasps.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Bandersnatch? I would never have guessed.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.