Balfa 2 Step

Patsplace

Aug 5, 2003
Howdy Folks,
After reading tons and talking to lots of folks (thanks to all here for the input) I've made the decision to go to a higher end bike and be done with it.

One that has caught my attention is the Balfa 2 step. Will be used for single track, fire roads, some pavement and pretty well anywhere I want to ride. Good choice?
Pat:D

It looks like a pretty serious full suspension bike (freeride?) -- it'll certainly do what you mention, but you might find it a little heavy and cumbersome? For what you ask of it, a lighter hardtail or XC (cross-country) full suspension bike might be more to your liking.

Is full suspension one of your priorities? If you're thinking of rear suspension mainly for comfort, another option you might want to investigate is a hardtail bike, and a suspension seatpost. (I haven't tried a suspension post myself, but after 3 hours of XC riding on a hardtail, they feel like they might be a nice option :) )

It looks like a pretty serious full suspension bike (freeride?) -- it'll certainly do what you mention, but you might find it a little heavy and cumbersome? For what you ask of it, a lighter hardtail or XC (cross-country) full suspension bike might be more to your liking.

Is full suspension one of your priorities? If you're thinking of rear suspension mainly for comfort, another option you might want to investigate is a hardtail bike, and a suspension seatpost. (I haven't tried a suspension post myself, but after 3 hours of XC riding on a hardtail, they feel like they might be a nice option :) )

Yup, comfort it is. I'm 56 and the hits are taking their toll. I've got a mid-grade seat post right now and it does make a difference. Part of the problem with them is limited travel and they do tend to load your knees in the middle of a stroke.

Maybe it's not possible to have what I'm hoping for, but at 260 lbs., most of the lighter duty bikes are overpowered by my bulk...er, I mean Hulk.
Ride green.
Pat

Pat,
I am 6'3" and tipping the scales at 270lbs (working on lowering that number though) and have been riding Santa Cruz Hecklers for 5 years with great luck. You just have to get the correct rate springs in your fork and on the shock. I just got a new Heckler and it's even more stout than the previous one. You might give them a look. They are on ebay once in a while.

K.

Nice to hear from another normal sized person in this world of miniatures. LOL
Spring rates for forks and rear eh? Well I'm sure that it'll take a bit of doing to end up with the bike doing what I want it to do.
Major drops are not where I'm coming from but roots, potholes, rocks and ruts are. Something set up to take the smack out of them and I'm a happy camper, espectially if the bike is half ways reasonable to pedal. The Mantis that I checked out wasn't too bad when I was sitting down, but was a strange beast with me standing on the pedals. From all I've heard, the bike will do all that I'm asking and then some. Still havn't had the chance to test one but certainly will before I lay out the cash.
Thanks for the input,
Pat

Originally posted by ireman_1
Pat,
I am 6'3" and tipping the scales at 270lbs (working on lowering that number though) and have been riding Santa Cruz Hecklers for 5 years with great luck. You just have to get the correct rate springs in your fork and on the shock. I just got a new Heckler and it's even more stout than the previous one. You might give them a look. They are on ebay once in a while.

K.

Bought the Balfa 2 Step, put a #8 spring on it and life is grand. Way, way neater bike than I dared think it would be. I've heard stories about how "they ride". Well mine seems almost alive the way that it handles. Lasting will be the key but it's a beauty now.
Gotta love it.
Pat

Well it's been a fair while since I bought the 2-Step and my first impressions were accurate. It's a great bike, has given me zero grief (bleeding from falling off does not count) and has gotten me out of situations where I was sure that I was going to pile it up, only to slide on through, just like I knew what I was doing.
Great bike!!! I have absolutly nothing bad to say about it, except for the disc break squeal at times.
All in all a really fine bike and it always surprises me just how light it is, considering it is full suspension with front and rear lockouts.
Pat

Just put together my Balfa 2Step HD, bought it as a frame from eBay, peiced it together with whatever parts I could find in my basement.. test riding it around the yard so far, waiting for the rain to stop so I could get it out for a decent ride.

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

Cool. They seemed way, way ahead of the curve when they came out and I wouldn't be surprised that they're still right up there with the best of them today.

Let me know what you think of the bike once you've had a chance to take it out and thrash it around.

Pat