Bamboozled by My Training Log

EvilGoodGuy

Jul 31, 2004
At the end of the week, I went about my ussual routine. I tallied my training hours for the week and took note of my training routes, intensity...etc. At the end, I was left with the taste of disappointment. My total training time fell short of my "magic" number I had ingrained in my mind (from where, who knows). My weekly total was 6.5 hours... short of the "magic" 10 hours. However, I am making significant improvements in all domains. In fact, my legs appear to have out grown my cycling shorts (I have had to move from a medium to a large). Yet still, I feel somehow I need to ride more to meet that magic 10hour mark, even though I know I am making more than enough progress. Who else feels bamboozled by their training log?

Obviously, your comment about being bamboozled is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but maybe you're missing the purpose of keeping a training log. IMO, a training logs lets you record the details of your training so you don't get overly fixated on one particular number, like hours or miles.

For example, if a weekend review of my log indicated that my intensity were somewhat higher this week than in weeks past, I might think "ok, my hours were down somewhat as a result of my higher intensity (and need for recovery), so I probably got as much training done this week as before. Fine." In that way, a training log doesn't bamboozle someone, but enlightens and/or motivates them instead. Of course, it's also possible that I just missed a training session or cut them short, so I'd have to look through my log for notes about weather, my feelings, personal issues, or motivation to see if there aren't some tell-tale signs in there. Those are all things that are helpful to record in the log. If none of those were at issue, then my training log provides the necessary kick in the butt to motivate me to keep my training plan.

Yeah, I think I understand what you are trying to say. I guess at the end of the week, I was very satisfied with the progress I was able to obtain. I felt I had a good week and everything was great. Once I looked at the training log, six and a half hours seemed far to small to obtain the progress I felt I had made. I guess the real issue is where do I come up with ten hours? Why should that be my "magic" number for the week?

On the other hand, you are right, I must admit that the 6.5 hours were all high quality (i.e., time well spent in the saddle:D ). Therefore, my training log did record a higher training intensity in relation to my total training hours.

SOMETIMES... I swear I'd be better off without the training log...;)

On another note, I have removed my bike computer (i.e., speedo) from my bike so I stop looking at the average speed....but that's another topic...:)

EvilGoodGuy said:
On another note, I have removed my bike computer (i.e., speedo) from my bike so I stop looking at the average speed....but that's another topic...:)
I suppose it is. From your post, you seem like you could benefit from *more* feedback on your training and riding, rather than less, but I imagine you have your reasons. Good luck in your goals. :)