Bar End Advice Needed

steparkes

Nov 5, 2012
Hi, I have just bought a Jamis Allegro hybrid and was going to fit some bar ends to the handlebars. The ones I am looking at can't from what I can see fit onto the handlebars as the grips are quite bulky and fat, whereas the bar ends I see look to fit a thinner more standard flat handlebar. I haven't got image of the grips I have but they are similar to the ones below. Anyone know how I can install bar ends in this situation or any other alternatives?

It has Jamis alloy flat bar, 31.8mm x 10 degrees x 580mm for handlebars and the site says Dual compound, anatomical grips

images

Loosen the grips & slide them about an inch closer to the stem ...

• you may need to use a RAT-TAIL_or_small_HALF-ROUND file (or, Dremel Tool OR equivalent) to remove the 'shoulders' on the inside of the ends of the clamp which are stopping your from sliding the grips further inward
  • OR, cannibalize two more "inner" clamps from another set of grips

Mount your bar ends ...

Slide the grips back so that they nest against your bar ends & tighten in place ...

Insert the plugs.

Thanks for the reply. I will google/youtube the things you said and see how to start it. Unless you know of any already,

Thanks again

SLIDE the outer clamp off of the grip ...

SLIDE the inner clamp off of the grip ...

COMPARE THE TWO

Take the medium-sized RAT-TAIL file and remove the "excess" material (i.e., the inner shoulder, or if you prefer you can call it the inner "lip") which distinguishes the outer clamp from the inner clamp ...

REPEAT for the outer clamp on the other grip ...

Put the clamps back on the grips ... and then, the grips back on your handlebars ...

et cetera.