Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

bar end doesn't hold front deraiulleur

Started by Bill · · Last activity · 6 posts · 414 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 May 2005
Last activity
2 June 2005
Original author
Bill
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
414
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have Shimano bar end shifters installed. On the front which is a triple
    with a newer indexable Ultegra derailleur, the bar end shifter doesn't have
    enough friction to hold the largest chain ring. After a fair amount of
    fiddling I'm ready to try a couple of things-

    - get an older Suntour bar end shifter with the ratcheting mechanism-
    assuming it will hold firmer or

    - get an older triple front derailleur.

    Any suggestions?

    Bill

  2. Bill said:


    I have Shimano bar end shifters installed. On the front which is a triple
    with a newer indexable Ultegra derailleur, the bar end shifter doesn't have
    enough friction to hold the largest chain ring. After a fair amount of
    fiddling I'm ready to try a couple of things-

    sounds unusual. I hate to ask this, but you have tried tightening the
    central screw?

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  3. Bill said:

    I have Shimano bar end shifters installed. On the front which is a triple
    with a newer indexable Ultegra derailleur, the bar end shifter doesn't have
    enough friction to hold the largest chain ring. After a fair amount of
    fiddling I'm ready to try a couple of things-

    - get an older Suntour bar end shifter with the ratcheting mechanism-
    assuming it will hold firmer or

    - get an older triple front derailleur.

    Any suggestions?

    Bill

    Is the problem is that it doesn't have enough travel or the lever moves
    while riding? If number 2, tighten the bolt.

  4. Bill said:

    I have Shimano bar end shifters installed. On the front which is a triple
    with a newer indexable Ultegra derailleur, the bar end shifter doesn't have
    enough friction to hold the largest chain ring. After a fair amount of
    fiddling I'm ready to try a couple of things-

    - get an older Suntour bar end shifter with the ratcheting mechanism-
    assuming it will hold firmer or

    - get an older triple front derailleur.

    Any suggestions?

    Bill


    I had a similar problem and found that you need to torque the bolt ~3 times the specified value.

  5. Bill had posted this one for me- it is now fixed but the answer wasn't
    torquing it higher. There is a projection on one of the inner pieces
    that must be vertically down per the instructions. This had somehow
    worked its way around 180 degrees. A friend came over and helped- with
    some needlenose pliers we were able to rotate the inner piece by 180
    deg back to where it was down, reassemble, and it seems to work now.
    I'll find out in a ride tomorrow. I think that what happened was that
    I didn't have the retainer screw tight enough to start with, it came
    loose and worked its way around. Time will tell.
    Thanks for the help!

    daveornee said:
    Bill said:

    I have Shimano bar end shifters installed. On the front which is a
    triple
    with a newer indexable Ultegra derailleur, the bar end shifter doesn't
    have
    enough friction to hold the largest chain ring. After a fair amount of
    fiddling I'm ready to try a couple of things-

    - get an older Suntour bar end shifter with the ratcheting mechanism-
    assuming it will hold firmer or

    - get an older triple front derailleur.

    Any suggestions?

    Bill


    I had a similar problem and found that you need to torque the bolt ~3
    times the specified value.

    --
    daveornee

  6. Bill said:

    I have Shimano bar end shifters installed. On the front which is a triple
    with a newer indexable Ultegra derailleur, the bar end shifter doesn't have
    enough friction to hold the largest chain ring. After a fair amount of
    fiddling I'm ready to try a couple of things-
    - get an older Suntour bar end shifter with the ratcheting mechanism-
    assuming it will hold firmer or
    - get an older triple front derailleur.

    Tighten the screw in the center of the lever.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.