BARBEQUE WOOD TYPES

D

D

Hello, My brother and I have been smoking hogs for years with various methods. We have generally
always used Oak wood, but on occasion used Hickory, and a real good one is Orange (citrus) tree wood
which gives a great flavor but alas all of the citrus business has moved further south of here now.
We always knew to stay away from sap rich woods like pine unless you wanted your meat to taste like
turpentine. But my question is, I have a continuing supply of hege wood that comes from Sweet
Viburnum hedge. I've been hauling this stuff off for years and I wonder if one could actually
barbeque with this wood. I've searched for info on any poisons that might be in the wood with no
success. Does anyone know of this type of wood being used or any information at all on it ? Thanks
to all replies.

> But my question is, I have a continuing supply of hege wood that comes from Sweet Viburnum hedge.
> I've been hauling this stuff off for years and I wonder if one could actually barbeque with this
> wood. I've searched for info on any poisons that might be in the wood with no success. Does
> anyone know of this type of wood being used or any information at all on it ? Thanks to all
> replies.

well it does not come up in the poisonous list. there are a lot of great smoking woods. Lilac was
fantastic. citrus as you found is good. cherry is good. burn some and see if you like the smoke
smell from it.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

In rec.food.cooking, Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote:

> burn some and see if you like the smoke smell from it.

Good advice. Just light a small splint and blow it out. Sniff the resulting smoke.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

[email protected] wrote:

> In rec.food.cooking, Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote:
> > burn some and see if you like the smoke smell from it.
>
> Good advice. Just light a small splint and blow it out. Sniff the resulting smoke.

Lousy advice. You don't know what flavor will be imparted to the meat from that test. There may be
volatile flavors in the smoke which won't persist in the meat, if it's allowed to cook for a long
time. A much better test would be to buy some cheap meat and try smoking a batch with the wood.

il Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:32:32 +0000 (UTC),
[email protected] ha scritto:

> In rec.food.cooking, Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > burn some and see if you like the smoke smell from it.
>
> Good advice. Just light a small splint and blow it out. Sniff the resulting smoke.

Do not try this with Oleander wood, even the smoke is poisonous. Don't you have a Poisons Centre you
can ring to find out?

> --
> ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...
>
> - The Who

--
Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > In rec.food.cooking, Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > burn some and see if you like the smoke smell from it.
> >
> > Good advice. Just light a small splint and blow it out. Sniff the resulting smoke.
>
> Lousy advice. You don't know what flavor will be imparted to the meat from that test. There may be
> volatile flavors in the smoke which won't persist in the meat, if it's allowed to cook for a long
> time. A much better test would be to buy some cheap meat and try smoking a batch with the wood.
>
>
>

Agreed... That is what I'd do too. Some chicken hindquarters might work. :)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra

Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> In rec.food.cooking, Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> burn some and see if you like the smoke smell from it.
>>
>> Good advice. Just light a small splint and blow it out. Sniff the resulting smoke.
>
> Lousy advice. You don't know what flavor will be imparted to the meat from that test. There may be
> volatile flavors in the smoke which won't persist in the meat, if it's allowed to cook for a long
> time. A much better test would be to buy some cheap meat and try smoking a batch with the wood.

Have you actually cooked much using wood as a flavoring for the food (not just meat)?

BOB

Mark Thorson wrote:

>
>
>>In rec.food.cooking, Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>burn some and see if you like the smoke smell from it.
>>
>>Good advice. Just light a small splint and blow it out. Sniff the resulting smoke.
>
>
>
>

And don't use oleander wood. HTH :)

Best regards, Bob

Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> Lousy advice. You don't know what flavor will be imparted to the meat from that test.

No, good advice. If you get a punget odor or turpentine odor like some softwoods, you know not to
persue it at all. While a good smoke odor may not be good on meat, I can assure you that bad smoke
odor will not get better. .

--
Ed [email protected] http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

In rec.food.cooking, Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > In rec.food.cooking, Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > burn some and see if you like the smoke smell from it.
> >
> > Good advice. Just light a small splint and blow it out. Sniff the resulting smoke.

> Lousy advice. You don't know what flavor will be imparted to the meat from that test.

You do if you are an experienced cook. OTOH, you might get misled.

HTH.

--

- The Who

BOB wrote:

> Have you actually cooked much using wood as a flavoring for the food (not just meat)?

Yes, there was a period of a few years when I was smoking three or more times a week. The vast
majority of that was meat, though I have done a lot of experiments with non-meat foods. Twice, I
tried to smoke potato chips (bleah!).

From my experience, I know that there are flavors in "fresh" smoke which disappear when the food is
allowed to continue cooking.

"Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>> Lousy advice. You don't know what flavor will be imparted to the meat from that test.
>
> No, good advice. If you get a punget odor or turpentine odor like some softwoods, you know not to
> persue it at all. While a good smoke odor may not be good on meat, I can assure you that bad smoke
> odor will not get better. .
>
>

Or maybe like poison ivy the toxins (if any) can be carried in the smoke. If the plant is identified
as not dangerous to people, by a respectable source... Then perhaps smoke some meat with it.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

Mark Thorson wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>
>> Have you actually cooked much using wood as a flavoring for the food (not just meat)?
>
> Yes, there was a period of a few years when I was smoking three or more times a week. The vast
> majority of that was meat, though I have done a lot of experiments with non-meat foods. Twice, I
> tried to smoke potato chips (bleah!).
>
> From my experience, I know that there are flavors in "fresh" smoke which disappear when the food
> is allowed to continue cooking.

Then you should know more about the smells/tastes that would be transferred. Like you just said,
tastes and smells can disappear. They will *not* just show up. So, what's the problem with making a
smell test, specifically, why is EskWIRED's comment "Lousy advice."? Maybe it's not complete, but it
is far from "Lousy".

BOB cooks more with fire and smoke than with my indoor appliances

In rec.food.cooking, BOB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Then you should know more about the smells/tastes that would be transferred.

Exactly.

> cooks more with fire and smoke than with my indoor appliances

You too?

--

- The Who

[email protected] wrote:
> In rec.food.cooking, BOB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Then you should know more about the smells/tastes that would be transferred.
>
> Exactly.
>
>> cooks more with fire and smoke than with my indoor appliances
>
> You too?
>

Especially me. Besides the great taste, it costs more to cool the house with the oven/stove running.

> --
> ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...
>
> - The Who

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:11:14 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
wrote:

>In rec.food.cooking, BOB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Then you should know more about the smells/tastes that would be transferred.
>
>Exactly.
>
>> cooks more with fire and smoke than with my indoor appliances
>
>You too?

i should definitely move in with one or both of you.

your pal, blake