rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Basic freestyle unicycling on a 24" wheel?

Started by Hillzy · · Last activity · 8 posts · 482 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
24 November 2004
Last activity
29 November 2004
Original author
Hillzy
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
482
Views / 30 days
1
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi everyone,
    I've been riding about 3 weeks now and am getting reasonably confident.
    I currently have a cheap 20" uni that my friend has lent me. I want to
    buy a decent one and have ridden my friends 24" Nimbus II. I like the
    extra speed and feel of the bigger wheel but still want to be able to
    hop around pretty well and do other things than just go off-road.
    I guess my question is whether I would be able to get reasonable at
    hopping and have fun on benches and obstacles etc with the bigger
    wheel?

    Thanks.

    --
    Hillzy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hillzy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8553
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36479

  2. Hopping on benches and obstacles is more trials than freestyle.
    Freestyle is basically trick riding without obstacles or props of any
    kind, something like flatland BMX. I have the Nimbus II 24" and I use it
    mostly for freestyle and sometimes also for moderate distance riding. It
    works well for freestyle but I don't how good it would be for hopping
    onto things as I haven't done much of this. I do know, however, that a
    lot of people can do trials fairly well on a 24" wheel. If you want to
    do mostly trials though, it might be a good idea to get a 20" trials
    unicycle, and get a 24" wheel later. It really depends on your
    priorities.

    --
    jsm - Freestyling Traffic Evasionist

    "One thing I'll never try though is the suicide mount." - Jonathan
    Miersma, 9/04

    "I just landed my first suicide mount!" - Jonathan Miersma 11/04
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36479

  3. i did all my trials for the first 8 months on a nimbus 24, and i was
    able to hop very well, and other trials/freestyle type tricks as well.
    then i got a 20" once i found that the 24 was inhibiting me somewhat..

    --
    unicyclistjoe - NZ's 2nd Best Trials Unicyclist

    Well a MOPED or whatever you call it...yeah good one security

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/joesphotos
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36479

  4. I know a few people that have no problem hitting up the trials on their
    24"s. It's a little heavier, but other than that you should be able to
    do trials well on a 24" wheel.

    --
    Bob22b - MCL Tearer :d
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob22b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8153
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36479

  5. ive rode 24" all my life.

    i use it for street too cause i prefer speed to the lighter 20"

    justin

    --
    unibrow - SEXXXXXXX, ha made u look

    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unibrow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2496
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36479

  6. The main challenge--at least for me--with doing freestyle tricks on a
    24, as opposed to a 20 incher, is that your feet are cocked much higher
    on the frame for one-footed stuff and higher on the tire for wheel
    walking and gliding. Wheel walking on my KH 24, my knees are up by my
    chin. And the higher the feet, the more delicate the balance. A larger
    uni is also likely to have longer crank arms, and that also makes things
    a bit more challenging.
    Add in a sloppy, low-pressure tire (I run 100 psi on my freestyle uni)
    and you have an additional challenge.

    But with practice you can do most all your tricks on a 24--it just takes
    time.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36479

  7. Okay thanks heaps everyone, this is pretty much exactly what I wanted to
    hear.

    --
    Hillzy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hillzy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8553
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36479

  8. Some people may be confused reading the quite different recomendations
    regarding the Nimbus II 24".

    This is because there are two different unicycles which are referred to
    by that name. The both have a 24" wheel and both have frames called
    "Nimbus II" but one is a freestyle unicycle while the other is a Muni.

    The Nimbus II 24" Freestyle unicycle is more useful for freestyle
    tricks. For example learning to ride backwards, seat in front, one
    footed, wheel walking, trying different mounts etc. While a 20" is the
    preferred size for freestyle riding a 24" is a little more useful if you
    want to commute short distances (down to the local shops, to school,
    etc). It is also large enough that you can put a knobbly tire on it and
    do some simple offroad riding. I would not recommend doing too much
    trials riding on a freestyle unicycle. They are not intended for lots
    of jumping although you can definately learn the basics on one.
    Link to Nimbus II 24" freestyle (currently not sold in NZ)
    http://tinyurl.com/4jwm9

    The Nimbus II Muni is designed as an offroad unicycle and also works
    well for urban trials (jumping off steps and the like). It is possible
    to learn some freestyle tricks but it definately lends itself more to
    offroad riding than to short commutes or tricks.
    Link to Nimbus II Muni:
    http://tinyurl.com/6cbeb

    --
    peter.bier - No time to ride :-(

    -Peter Bier

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36479

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.