Basso anticipates Armstrong, posts his lab test data

ilpirata

Aug 19, 2004
As Basso re-enters competition at the Japan Cup this weekend, he has begun posting his blood and lab data, as well as kilometers pedalled on his web site.

There is a certain theatre developing now that I am beginning to find entertaining!

a theatre starting to look like a strange cross of the theatre of the absurd with the horror film genre.

ilpirata said:
As Basso re-enters competition at the Japan Cup this weekend, he has begun posting his blood and lab data, as well as kilometers pedalled on his web site.

There is a certain theatre developing now that I am beginning to find entertaining!
Any chance we can see his readings from 2006 ? They would be off the friggin scale.

whiteboytrash said:
Any chance we can see his readings from 2006 ? They would be off the friggin scale.
To some extent yes we can. Take his times for the steepest climbs for the Giro and work out an approximate power from that. Compare to his figures this years and bang, proof that he inhaled.

This is obviously something that will have been noted by Basso so perhaps he'll fiddle his numbers?

For those that haven't seen, Basso's SRM data is available to download here:
http://www.mapeisport.it/IvanBasso/Default.asp

The trouble is that it would still be very easy for them to be multiplying up by some factor now, so that when the blood goes in later it still looks realistic. Given that SRM's need to be calibrated, then any discrepancy in the numbers can always be blamed on a miscalibrated set of cranks. And for competitive reasons you'd expect there to be a little kidology going on with anything that goes into the public domain.

Nonetheless, it was good to look at his ride from last Sunday. Very similar power numbers to a ride that I do weekly at the start of the season... except that I finish after 90mins, and Basso kept it up for over 6hrs. :eek:

Eldrack said:
To some extent yes we can. Take his times for the steepest climbs for the Giro and work out an approximate power from that. Compare to his figures this years and bang, proof that he inhaled.

This is obviously something that will have been noted by Basso so perhaps he'll fiddle his numbers?
what could have been at the 2006 Tour ? The Fuentes brothers of Ullrich and Basso would have destroyed the field.

whiteboytrash said:
what could have been at the 2006 Tour ? The Fuentes brothers of Ullrich and Basso would have destroyed the field.
Don't forget Vino too. I wonder what the shape of pro cycling would be today if Operacion Puerto had never happened? Ulle would still be riding, perhaps still vying for his second Tour win. Basso would probably be aiming for his third. Vino would be trying all kinds of crazy doping to get his first. Cavendish wouldn't have won a stage yet and the French would be considering quitting en masse.

Rolfrae said:
Don't forget Vino too. I wonder what the shape of pro cycling would be today if Operacion Puerto had never happened? Ulle would still be riding, perhaps still vying for his second Tour win. Basso would probably be aiming for his third. Vino would be trying all kinds of crazy doping to get his first. Cavendish wouldn't have won a stage yet and the French would be considering quitting en masse.
LOL! :D