BBC Bike parking

Simon Mason

Guest
I was invited to take part in a programme for BBC Radio 1 (2330 22 AUG 05)
and had to visit our brand spanking new BBC HQ in the centre of Hull to be
interviewed today. I did a reccy on Sunday to see what bike parking
facilities they had as I planned to cycle there after work.

Nothing was evident, so I decided to use the Sheffield Stands in the city
centre, leave the best bike at home and go back into town on the winter
bike. Talking to the chap who set up the ISDN to London, I asked where the
secure bike parking was. He replied that it was the poles outside and that
they were supposed to be getting some proper stands but the budget didn't
run to them.

Needless to say, there was a big underground car park with a pass operated
barrier and security guard. At least this anti-cycling policy isn't confined
to my own place of work!

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Mason came up with the following;:

> Needless to say, there was a big underground car park with a pass operated
> barrier and security guard. At least this anti-cycling policy isn't
> confined to my own place of work!

I doubt it's an active anti-cycling policy at all. It's just that most
designers and managers in large companies simply don't use cycles so never
actually think of them or of providing facilities for them.

Ever.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

On 2005-08-02, Paul - *** <[email protected]> wrote:
> Simon Mason came up with the following;:
>
>> Needless to say, there was a big underground car park with a pass operated
>> barrier and security guard. At least this anti-cycling policy isn't
>> confined to my own place of work!

> I doubt it's an active anti-cycling policy at all. It's just that most
> designers and managers in large companies simply don't use cycles so never
> actually think of them or of providing facilities for them.
>
> Ever.

According to the BBC's in-house magazine, the BBC spends 1 million
pounds a month on taxi fares. (Source: The Skeptic)

Anthony

--
Using Linux GNU/Debian - Windows-free zone
Assassins, homeopathy, and skeptical articles).

Anthony Campbell wrote:

> According to the BBC's in-house magazine, the BBC spends 1 million
> pounds a month on taxi fares. (Source: The Skeptic)

Probably for guests and celebs, though, rather than staff...?

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

in message <[email protected]>, Anthony Campbell
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 2005-08-02, Paul - *** <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Simon Mason came up with the following;:
>>
>>> Needless to say, there was a big underground car park with a pass
>>> operated barrier and security guard. At least this anti-cycling
>>> policy isn't confined to my own place of work!

>> I doubt it's an active anti-cycling policy at all. It's just that
>> most designers and managers in large companies simply don't use cycles
>> so never actually think of them or of providing facilities for them.

> According to the BBC's in-house magazine, the BBC spends 1 million
> pounds a month on taxi fares. (Source: The Skeptic)

If so, a substantial amount of money could probably be saved by having
pool bikes at every major BBC centre, and /paying/ staff a quarter of
the taxi fare equivalent for every journey they make by bike rather than
taxi. Yup, OK, the pool bikes would get stolen from time to time and
need to be replaced, but it could still save into the hundreds of
thousands a year.

As a matter of interest, how are those 'phone up and go' hire bikes
surviving in London? Are they still in use, and do they get
vandalised/stolen excessively?

Wannabe a Web designer?
<URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:04:27 +0100 someone who may be Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> According to the BBC's in-house magazine, the BBC spends 1 million
>> pounds a month on taxi fares. (Source: The Skeptic)

>If so, a substantial amount of money could probably be saved by having
>pool bikes at every major BBC centre, and /paying/ staff a quarter of
>the taxi fare equivalent for every journey they make by bike rather than
>taxi.

The BBC are very taxi obsessed. Programme staff seem very surprised
if the offer of a "free" taxi is turned down and someone says they
will cycle or get the bus to the studio.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

David Hansen wrote:

> The BBC are very taxi obsessed. Programme staff seem very surprised
> if the offer of a "free" taxi is turned down and someone says they
> will cycle or get the bus to the studio.

It's not just the Beeb. I do a spot on Channel 4 some lunchtimes, and
cycle the mile from office to the studio; twice in the past year a taxi
has turned up even though I specifically tell the booker that I won't
need one.

Cheers, James

On 3 Aug 2005 05:46:33 -0700 someone who may be "Shuggie"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>It's not just the Beeb. I do a spot on Channel 4 some lunchtimes, and
>cycle the mile from office to the studio; twice in the past year a taxi
>has turned up even though I specifically tell the booker that I won't
>need one.

I would have thought that Jon Snow has trained them out of such
things.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

> On 2005-08-02, Paul - *** <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Simon Mason came up with the following;:
>>
>>> Needless to say, there was a big underground car park with a pass operated
>>> barrier and security guard. At least this anti-cycling policy isn't
>>> confined to my own place of work!

>> I doubt it's an active anti-cycling policy at all. It's just that most
>> designers and managers in large companies simply don't use cycles so never
>> actually think of them or of providing facilities for them.
>>
>> Ever.

As one who regularly works at the Beeb's facilities here in Manchester, I
can say that the underground car park hereabouts contains Sheffields in
quantity, along with showers and a changing room. Blame the Philharmonic,
some of whom take their cycling/juggling/rollerblading seriously!

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 07:13:25 +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> According to the BBC's in-house magazine, the BBC spends 1 million
> pounds a month on taxi fares. (Source: The Skeptic)

When I started there, 'free' taxis were only available to technical staff
if they were working late nights or early morning shifts outside public
transport hours. They were later withdrawn, and from the mid-nineties
taxis had to be paid in cash and the expenses reclaimed less tax.

What the current policy is, I don't know, as I'm no longer staff.

:)
--
http://www.redshift.uklinux.net/
Windcheetah No.176

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:20:00 +0000 someone who may be killermike
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> It's not just the Beeb. I do a spot on Channel 4 some lunchtimes, and
>> cycle the mile from office to the studio; twice in the past year a taxi
>> has turned up even though I specifically tell the booker that I won't
>> need one.

>In all fairness, could this tendency amongst broadcasting institutions stem
>from a desire to keep people on schedule?

Then why send a taxi, which is more liable to get stuck in traffic
than a bike?

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:06:24 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:20:00 +0000 someone who may be killermike
><[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>> It's not just the Beeb. I do a spot on Channel 4 some lunchtimes, and
>>> cycle the mile from office to the studio; twice in the past year a taxi
>>> has turned up even though I specifically tell the booker that I won't
>>> need one.

>>In all fairness, could this tendency amongst broadcasting institutions stem
>>from a desire to keep people on schedule?

>Then why send a taxi, which is more liable to get stuck in traffic
>than a bike?

What sort of a bike?

How are they going to get it there?

killermike wrote:

> In all fairness, could this tendency amongst broadcasting institutions stem
> from a desire to keep people on schedule?

In all my riding round London I have never yet been beaten by colleagues
using taxis or the tube. Quite often after leaving a meeting I catch an
earlier train home than my colleagues and I can often catch a later
train in.

--
Tony

Anon

Steven wrote:
> What sort of a bike?

Tandem.

> How are they going to get it there?

Captain.

Jon

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:40:14 GMT someone who may be
[email protected] (Steven) wrote this:-

>>Then why send a taxi, which is more liable to get stuck in traffic
>>than a bike?

>What sort of a bike?

Whatever sort of bike the person was going to ride to the location.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 12:34:20 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote:

>Steven wrote:
>> What sort of a bike?

>Tandem.

I wondered about that :)

>> How are they going to get it there?

>Captain.

I'd love them to try this when they next want to interview thatcher.

Steven wrote:
> I'd love them to try this when they next want to interview thatcher.

I'd fight to Captain that one. Just think of the power! ;-)

Jon

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:06:24 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:20:00 +0000 someone who may be killermike
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>> It's not just the Beeb. I do a spot on Channel 4 some lunchtimes, and
>>> cycle the mile from office to the studio; twice in the past year a taxi
>>> has turned up even though I specifically tell the booker that I won't
>>> need one.

>>In all fairness, could this tendency amongst broadcasting institutions stem
>>from a desire to keep people on schedule?

> Then why send a taxi, which is more liable to get stuck in traffic
> than a bike?

My point was that the reason a culture of taxi utilization (that sounds
quite 'tabloid' ;-) exists amongst the broadcasting organizations is
probably due to their desire to remove some transport autonomy from
individuals.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:05:52 +0000 someone who may be killermike
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>My point was that the reason a culture of taxi utilization (that sounds
>quite 'tabloid' ;-) exists amongst the broadcasting organizations is
>probably due to their desire to remove some transport autonomy from
>individuals.

They are adding an extra layer of complication, the taxi and driver.

The alternative is the individual travelling by bike and thus more
likely to turn up on time.

Of course even if people turn up on time that does not mean that
they will appear as planned. The BBC did once leave me and someone
else in the reception area due to a **** up on their part.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:57:49 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:05:52 +0000 someone who may be killermike
><[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>My point was that the reason a culture of taxi utilization (that sounds
>>quite 'tabloid' ;-) exists amongst the broadcasting organizations is
>>probably due to their desire to remove some transport autonomy from
>>individuals.

>They are adding an extra layer of complication, the taxi and driver.

Probably simpler than making sure that every one time guest they want:

1) Can ride a bike
2) Has a bike
3) Has lighting if they need to travel in the dark
4) Has all weather clothing in case it rains
5) Is actually prepared to ride a bike to the particular location required

>The alternative is the individual travelling by bike and thus more
>likely to turn up on time.

Actually, more likely to tell them to take a hike!

>Of course even if people turn up on time that does not mean that
>they will appear as planned. The BBC did once leave me and someone
>else in the reception area due to a **** up on their part.

How disgraceful!

Steven wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:57:49 +0100, David Hansen
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:05:52 +0000 someone who may be killermike
> ><[email protected]> wrote this:-
> >
> >>My point was that the reason a culture of taxi utilization (that sounds
> >>quite 'tabloid' ;-) exists amongst the broadcasting organizations is
> >>probably due to their desire to remove some transport autonomy from
> >>individuals.

> >They are adding an extra layer of complication, the taxi and driver.

> Probably simpler than making sure that every one time guest they want:

"this is the BBC. How are you getting here? We can send a car for you
if needed."
"I'm coming by bike"
"Ask the gate staff for directions to the cycle park on arrival"

How hard is that?

"this is the BBC. How are you getting here? We can send a car for you
if needed."
"Please send a car"
<fx: phone down. phone rings>
"This is the BBC. Please send a car to *** for yyy".
"What is the account?"

Now tell me which of these are easier and less admin?

> 1) Can ride a bike
> 2) Has a bike
> 3) Has lighting if they need to travel in the dark
> 4) Has all weather clothing in case it rains
> 5) Is actually prepared to ride a bike to the particular location required

And if travelling by car do they check the driving license, MOT, ensure
you have enough fuel in the tank for you?
Some things are personal responsibility.

> >The alternative is the individual travelling by bike and thus more
> >likely to turn up on time.

> Actually, more likely to tell them to take a hike!

Depends whether they are already a cyclist or not.

> >Of course even if people turn up on time that does not mean that
> >they will appear as planned. The BBC did once leave me and someone
> >else in the reception area due to a **** up on their part.

> How disgraceful!

Shocking..

...d