BBC Talking Point

Just Zis Guy

Guest
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2582749.stm

An opportunity to spread the word. Congestion? Not me, mate, I'm on my bike!

Don't tell uk.cagers.whinge.whinge.whinge, though ;-)

--
Guy
===

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2582749.stm
>
> An opportunity to spread the word. Congestion? Not me, mate, I'm on my bike!
>
> Don't tell uk.cagers.whinge.whinge.whinge, though ;-)

A year or two ago there was a bit of light research (Daily Mail, take it how you will) that proved
beyond any possibility of doubt <cough> that motorbikes were the quickest form of travel through
city centres at rush-hour followed closely by cycling. I think cars rated the same as walking or
slightly slower.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:36:52 -0000, "PDannyD"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A year or two ago there was a bit of light research (Daily Mail, take it how you will) that proved
>beyond any possibility of doubt <cough> that motorbikes were the quickest form of travel through
>city centres at rush-hour followed closely by cycling. I think cars rated the same as walking or
>slightly slower.

Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.

I cannot speak for city centres as I don't live in one and haven't travelled in one for some time.
I'd guess, though, that a motorbike or scooter wouod be a pretty fast way around the area. However,
as I own neither, a bike is, IMO, far superior. I loathe walking, BTW - it's painful.

More locally, the fastest way around is in one particular white Vauxall Astra GTE (old style) with
an incredibly loud "music" system.

Let me flap my right wing.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:52:38 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.

And they know it's the truth, because the little voices in their heads tell them so :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:36:52 -0000, "PDannyD"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >A year or two ago there was a bit of light research (Daily Mail, take it
how
> >you will) that proved beyond any possibility of doubt <cough> that motorbikes were the quickest
> >form of travel through city centres at rush-hour followed closely by cycling. I think cars rated
> >the same as walking or slightly slower.
> >

> Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.

...one of Pratchett's better stories.

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:57:02 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Daily Mail, eh? The rag that tells THE TRUTH.
>
>And they know it's the truth, because the little voices in their heads tell them so :)

Jest ye not, Missus.

Said paper has printed two (or possibly more) letters from the eminent Mr Mason, or do I
mean Eminem?

They're coming to take me away ...

James

--

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:51:43 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

>They're coming to take me away ...

B side: ah ah yawa em ekat ot gnimoc er'yeht, by vix Noelopan. I remember it well.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:21:09 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>They're coming to take me away ...
>
>B side: ah ah yawa em ekat ot gnimoc er'yeht, by vix Noelopan. I remember it well.

And you're next. D'you mean Nepolean, perchance? I'm too young.

James

--

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:00:47 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>D'you mean Napolean, perchance? I'm too young.

^^^^^^^^ spelling correction (fixed pitched font)
>It was a novelty record called "They're coming to take me away, ha ha" by Napoleon XIV - the B side
>was the A side recorded backwards.

I've heard of said ditty. Backwards, eh? You are condemed to the dark side, doubly so, in your case.

Samaj

--

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:31:03 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

>> I've heard of said ditty. Backwards, eh? You are condemed to the dark side, doubly so, in
>> your case.
>
>Then I must be truly doomed as I actually own a copy of the aforementioned record....

Carol

You admit this without being forced?

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:31:03 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

> >Then I must be truly doomed as I actually own a copy of the aforementioned record....
>
> Carol
>
> You admit this without being forced?

Oh yes. I have no pride :)

--
Carol Hague "He really has a noble heart and the best of intentions. He just happens to be stark
raving mad."

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:17:23 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

>> >Then I must be truly doomed as I actually own a copy of the aforementioned record....
>> You admit this without being forced?
>Oh yes. I have no pride :)

Neither do I - I have a small collection of (?) atrocious records including the Funky Gibbon,
Einstein A Go-Go, Shiny Shiny (remember that?) and some others. All are execrable, and guaranteed to
make me laugh :-D

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)