UK and Europe · Public discussion

Beam racks and normal bags

Started by Jonathan Schneider · · Last activity · 6 posts · 379 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 July 2007
Last activity
22 July 2007
Original author
Jonathan Schneider
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
379
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm thinking of getting a beam rack for those rare occasions I want to
    carry more stuff on my road bike.

    I see there are nice looking products from the likes of Topeak but I
    ideally don't want to invest in proprietary bits that only work well
    with others of the same make. Ideally any panniers I buy would also
    fit the old but very decent Pletscher rack on my commuting bike. Do
    common panniers and rack bags tend to fit these beam racks ?
    Specifically "Topeak Beam Rack RX Rear Rack With Side Frames".

    For the immediate application which would happen if the weather looked
    reasonable for the 'Dynamo only a few litres capacity needed but
    that's more than a saddle bag.

    Jon

  2. Jonathan Schneider said:

    I see there are nice looking products from the likes of Topeak but I
    ideally don't want to invest in proprietary bits that only work well
    with others of the same make. Ideally any panniers I buy would also
    fit the old but very decent Pletscher rack on my commuting bike. Do
    common panniers and rack bags tend to fit these beam racks ?
    Specifically "Topeak Beam Rack RX Rear Rack With Side Frames".

    My old Karrimor panniers work just fine with this rack. The side tubes
    are sufficiently thin to allow the clips to fully engage, and my bags
    have got a rigid back piece with adjustable length strap for the
    bottom clip, which engages quite happily on the bottom of the side
    frames.

    Added advantages are that the QR mounting means I can swap it between
    bikes, and as it's much higher than a traditional rack ('cos I'm 6'2"
    and therefore have a lot of seat tube available) it keeps it further
    away from my heels as well.

    Recommmended.

    --
    Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

  3. in message <[email hidden]>, Jonathan Schneider

    (') said:

    I'm thinking of getting a beam rack for those rare occasions I want to
    carry more stuff on my road bike.

    I see there are nice looking products from the likes of Topeak but I
    ideally don't want to invest in proprietary bits that only work well
    with others of the same make. Ideally any panniers I buy would also
    fit the old but very decent Pletscher rack on my commuting bike. Do
    common panniers and rack bags tend to fit these beam racks ?
    Specifically "Topeak Beam Rack RX Rear Rack With Side Frames".

    Mine doesn't have sideframes. However, yes, with sideframes conventional
    panniers would fit - subject to the weight restriction.

    Quoted message said:

    For the immediate application which would happen if the weather looked
    reasonable for the 'Dynamo only a few litres capacity needed but
    that's more than a saddle bag.

    Also consider a bar bag.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Error 1109: There is no message for this error

  4. Jonathan Schneider <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Do common panniers and rack bags tend to fit these beam racks ?
    Specifically "Topeak Beam Rack RX Rear Rack With Side Frames".

    Yes, they do - with a small proviso. I've got a Topeak Tourist (MTX) rack,
    which although not a beam rack still has the QuickTrack system and side
    fasteners similar to their beam racks with side frames. A normal pannier
    and rack bag ensemble with velcro or buckle straps fits (I've used some old
    cheapies on my rack) but the QuickTrack channel can bite a little into the
    base of a standard rack bag or bridge of a "throw-over" pannier set.

    Also, the RX might be a little short. If you haven't already got the rack,
    the longer MTX would probably be better as a larger selection of panniers
    and bags would fit.

    HTH,

    --
    Geoff

  5. Simon Brooke said:

    Also consider a bar bag.

    Good point. Especially as I have Campag/neat front cabling and it's
    somewhere for accessible items. Though it does bring about a rethink
    of front light mounting (homemade 3W LED hanging from a pair of
    capacitor clips) slightly more involved than at the [censored] end.

    Jon

  6. Ace said:
    Jonathan Schneider said:

    I see there are nice looking products from the likes of Topeak but I
    ideally don't want to invest in proprietary bits that only work well
    with others of the same make. Ideally any panniers I buy would also
    fit the old but very decent Pletscher rack on my commuting bike. Do
    common panniers and rack bags tend to fit these beam racks ?
    Specifically "Topeak Beam Rack RX Rear Rack With Side Frames".

    My old Karrimor panniers work just fine with this rack.

    Reading Geoff's post I realise that I actually have the MTX, not the
    RX. Looks identical, but I guess it's just a bit longer. And works
    just as well on road bikes as MTBs.

    --
    Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.