General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Bean dip recipe?

Started by zxcvbob · · Last activity · 30 posts · 415 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 April 2006
Last activity
15 April 2006
Original author
zxcvbob
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
415
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Serene said:

    You cook the beans until they're soft, then you mash them and cook
    them again. Some people use lard at this stage. I either do them
    without any fat, or with oil/butter.

    I use butter before I use lard. I'm always running low on
    butter, though, so I always have some lard available.

    I think I'm gonna make some beans now... I'm having tacos
    tonight anyway. Time to use the quick-soak method.

    -sw

  2. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Serene said:

    You cook the beans until they're soft, then you mash them and cook
    them again. Some people use lard at this stage. I either do them
    without any fat, or with oil/butter.

    I use butter before I use lard. I'm always running low on
    butter, though, so I always have some lard available.

    I think I'm gonna make some beans now... I'm having tacos
    tonight anyway. Time to use the quick-soak method.

    -sw

    We always have butter and lard on hand as well. Which does anyone think is
    best? Has anyone besides Steve used just butter?

    kili

  3. Steve Wertz said:

    tonight anyway. Time to use the quick-soak method.

    Soak, quick-soak,.... humbug! Wash some beans, put 'em in water, and
    boil the damn things. Soaking beans is a hoax. It gives you beans
    that turn to mush before the skin is soft. Boil 'em right from the
    get go and the skins will practically disintergrate before the beans
    are done. This is specially noticeable with thick skin beans like
    lima and kidney.

    nb

  4. notbob said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    tonight anyway. Time to use the quick-soak method.

    Soak, quick-soak,.... humbug! Wash some beans, put 'em in water, and
    boil the damn things. Soaking beans is a hoax. It gives you beans
    that turn to mush before the skin is soft. Boil 'em right from the
    get go and the skins will practically disintergrate before the beans
    are done. This is specially noticeable with thick skin beans like
    lima and kidney.

    nb

    To de-gas the beans, I boil for 5-minutes, turn off heat, soak 1-hour,
    rinse, add more water and then boil until done. This technique works,
    believe me! ;-)

    Rusty

  5. Rusty said:

    To de-gas the beans, I boil for 5-minutes, turn off heat, soak 1-hour,
    rinse, add more water and then boil until done. This technique works,
    believe me! ;-)

    That's what I do. I have a nice pot of fully cooked beans with
    the skins intact and have the option of making boracho beans or
    refried. Still deciding. I'm out of fresh jalapenos, though.

    I added salt and chili powder (guajillo) to the soaking and
    boiling water this time. They didn't take any longer than they
    would have without salt.

    -sw

  6. zxcvbob said:

    Does anyone have a recipe for jalapeno bean dip, like the stuff Fritos
    makes? (or used to make, I haven't had it in a long time)

    All the recipes I find are for "layered dip". I don't want that.

    I can probably fake it using pinto beans in a hummus recipe, but it
    might not be pretty...

    Thanks,
    Bob

    This is not what you asked for, but it is easy, and it is good, and
    messy too .
    One can Chili- with beans
    brick of Velveeta cheese... Yes Velveeta-- a small one
    a couple of jalapenos, finely chopped.

    Put Chili in a oven dish add chopped Jalapenos, and grate or chop the
    Velveeta into the biwl, stir this mees up and backe at 300 for about
    half an hour. Fills the craving niche.
    Serve with Fritos..

    Rosie

  7. Joseph Littleshoes said:
    Food Snob said:
    kilikini said:

    "Food Snob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >
    >>"Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email hidden]...
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:53:40 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
    >>>
    >>
    >>Oh no. Taco Bell are the worst refried beans around. They taste nasty.
    >
    >I'll second that. They are the worst refried beans I've ever tasted
    >
    >
    >>Old El Paso would be better.
    >>Actually, I make my own refried beans because they all have a bit of an
    >>aftertaste.
    >
    >I eat too much canned ones. I don't know how to justify my laziness.
    >I guess it's that I do like some of the canned ones. My favorites were
    >the Shop'n Save store brand fat free (Supervalu), but the quit making
    >those, and now have this brand named Carlita that's nowhere near as
    >good.
    >
    >
    >>Janet

    I've never cared for refried beans, but then again, I've never made my own.
    What do you do, just cook pinto beans down to the desired consistency?

    Yes, but add salt to taste then water them down a bit more again,

    Water? no chicken or beef stock?

    You could. That's just not the way it's usually done. My sister was
    never w/o beans in the fridge to refry.

    Quoted message said:


    and

    Quoted message said:

    fry them in lard or extra light olive oil. Make a bunch and
    refrigerate the leftovers. Each time you get them out, redilute and
    cook down the whole bunch again. The idea is that each time you
    "refry" them, they get better.

    Quoted message said:

    Personally, I think black beans have a much better flavor.

    You can do the same with black beans, but they are a [censored] to squash by
    hand, so for them I always use a blender. You can also mix the two. I
    go for 4 or 5 times as many pintos as black beans, but that's just me.
    I also like to cook them down slowly for several hours with whole
    chiles, usually jalapeños.

    The already mentioned Taco Bell canned beans mixes pintos with pink
    beans, giving them their off flavor (I dislike pink beans).

    Using the same technique with great northern or white beans is nice to
    have on hand, great for making soup or adding to sauce. Freeze the
    pureed beans without any additions and add what you need as necessary,
    garlic, butter, shallots, sage, oregano, blue cheese, white wine etc.

    I absolutely HATE great northern beans, to the point that they provoke
    rage.

    Quoted message said:

    ---
    JL

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    kili

    --Bryan


    --Bryan

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    rosie said:

    This is not what you asked for, but it is easy, and it is good, and
    messy too .
    One can Chili- with beans
    brick of Velveeta cheese... Yes Velveeta-- a small one
    a couple of jalapenos, finely chopped.

    Put Chili in a oven dish add chopped Jalapenos, and grate or chop the
    Velveeta into the biwl, stir this mees up and backe at 300 for about
    half an hour. Fills the craving niche.
    Serve with Fritos..

    Rosie

    Or use the Velveeta with the peppers in it and nuke at medium-high power
    for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Most of the recipes I've seen
    use the Hormel Chili without Beans.
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

    "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

  9. Food Snob said:

    I absolutely HATE great northern beans, to the point that they provoke
    rage.

    You don't have anything better to get all worked up about?
    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

  10. rosie said:

    This is not what you asked for, but it is easy, and it is good, and
    messy too .
    One can Chili- with beans
    brick of Velveeta cheese... Yes Velveeta-- a small one
    a couple of jalapenos, finely chopped.

    Similar recipe:

    1 can of chili *without* beans (Dennison's preferably)
    Block of Cream Cheese, softend to room temp.
    [Optional] 1/2-2/3rd cup salsa or Rotel [hot] tomatoes w/chiles.
    [Optional] Extra Ground Chile powder to taste (sauteed in a
    little oil for a few seconds) I like to add a little chipotle.

    Mix everything together. Microwave the portion you'll be using
    slowly (at 50-60% power) refrigerate the rest.

    -sw

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.