Hi all,
I was just introduced to this site today, so please forgive me if I ask some questions that have already been answered before. I will continue to read posts as they all include valuable information.
So, to give some background about me. I started cycling about 2 years ago, but wasn't anything serious. Last year, I had set out some basic goals for me to achieve which made cycling all that more enjoyable. One was do 1000 miles within 2 months, another to learn more "trails" around my area, etc etc.
This year, after taking a huge hiatus in the winter, I have decided that I would like to really do better and possibly do a race before the season ends. What I have been doing on a fairly regular basis is doing 20-25 miles during the weekdays, and then a longer ride of 40+ on Saturday and taking Sunday as a rest day.
My rides do include hills, but nothing overly intense. The ride on Saturday is usually with a group and we average between 18-20 in the start and then typically pick it up to 20-24 on the return leg.
I'm picking up a garmin GPS to help keep track of my progress, but for now, I can't really tell you how I am performing over time. The only main thing that I've been keeping track of, so far, is just my milage per day and overall total.
Anyway...
So based on my milage that I'm currently doing, what advice would anyone have to someone looking to become more serious? I saw a post eariler about riding more hours/day, but I'm not sure that I have the time to do this unless I do a ride in the morning before work and then one after work. With that being said, I know that I'm probably not eating the right foods, either. When I was doing rides before work, I would feel fine during the day, but would typically feel very tired when 8/9pm comes around. Is this typical?
And the last thing on my mind... I don't feel sore after a long or a fast ride. For example, when lifting weights, my arms or legs would feel sore the next day. With cycling, that never happens, although they burn during the ride at times 🙂 Does this mean that I'm not doing something right?
Sorry for the mass of questions. Thanks!