Bee In My Bonnet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Philbert

OK, so my `bent's in the shop getting its new handlebars and brakes and I decide to get reacquainted
with my Klein MB. I'm out for a brief 7 mile ride around my neighborhood, being reminded why I love
my bent so much (crushing my "squishy bits", neck aching, hands going numb AND I'm a good 2 mph
slower, to boot!) when I feel, in rapid succession, a slight impact on helmet, a violent buzzing
inside my helmet, and WHAM!! - a really remarkable explosion of pain on the left side of my head!
This sequence is repeated again almost immediately!! I'm going maybe 20 at the time so bailing off
the bike isn't a viable option, so I start mashing the helmet onto my head in an attempt to squash
the beasty. More angry buzzing. I start fumbling with the strap on my helmet, but my hands are numb
and I get my fingers to work right because I can't feel the release! I finally get the damn thing
off and drop it, hitting it with my rear wheel as it hits the ground. I get stopped and go back to
it, clutching my throbbing head to find a slightly damaged but still very much alive and angry
bald-faced hornet (or at least that's what my entemology prof called `em twenty-odd years ago). I
avoid the temptation to mash the little bugger into bits (after all, he was just minding his own
business until I came along - How would you feel if you got swallowed up by something resembling a
giant green cockroach?) and went home. A baking soda plaster and lots of ice took most of the sting
away, but I can still see/feel the marks he left.

I've been riding bikes most of my life and wearing helmets for a good 25 years and this has never
happened to me before... Man, I want my `bent back!

Another powerful argument for recumbents. The lower profile and superior aerodynamics make it less
likely that a stinging insect could be trapped by the helmet :)

And another good argument for tight fitting shorts!!

"jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Another powerful argument for recumbents. The lower profile and
superior
> aerodynamics make it less likely that a stinging insect could be
trapped by
> the helmet :)
>
>
>

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Another powerful argument for recumbents. The lower profile and superior aerodynamics make it less
> likely that a stinging insect could be trapped by the helmet :)

Not at all. Maybe an argument for less ventilated helmets. I had the same experience with a Honney
Bee earlier in the summer riding my Giro.

Here in Houston, less ventilated helmets are not an option. I'll take my chances with the bees.

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

I once caught a wasp under my left helmet strap. Stung me right on the temple. That hurt, and by the
time I got home, that side of my face had become very swollen.

--
This look left intentionally blank "Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, so my `bent's in the shop getting its new handlebars and brakes and I decide to get
> reacquainted with my Klein MB. I'm out for a brief 7 mile ride around my neighborhood, being
> reminded why I love my bent so much (crushing my "squishy bits", neck aching, hands going numb AND
> I'm a good
> mph slower, to boot!) when I feel, in rapid succession, a slight impact on helmet, a violent
> buzzing inside my helmet, and WHAM!! - a really
remarkable
> explosion of pain on the left side of my head! This sequence is repeated again almost
> immediately!! I'm going maybe 20 at the time so bailing off the bike isn't a viable option, so I
> start mashing the helmet onto my head in an attempt to squash the beasty. More angry buzzing. I
> start fumbling with the strap on my helmet, but my hands are numb and I get my fingers to work
> right because I can't feel the release! I finally get the damn thing off and drop it, hitting it
> with my rear wheel as it hits the ground. I
get
> stopped and go back to it, clutching my throbbing head to find a slightly damaged but still very
> much alive and angry bald-faced hornet (or at least that's what my entemology prof called `em
> twenty-odd years ago). I avoid the temptation to mash the little bugger into bits (after all, he
> was just minding his own business until I came along - How would you feel if you
got
> swallowed up by something resembling a giant green cockroach?) and went home. A baking soda
> plaster and lots of ice took most of the sting away, but I can still see/feel the marks he left.
>
> I've been riding bikes most of my life and wearing helmets for a good 25 years and this has never
> happened to me before... Man, I want my `bent back!

I once caught a wasp under my left helmet strap. Stung me right on the temple. That hurt, and by the
time I got home, that side of my face had become very swollen.

--
This look left intentionally blank "Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> OK, so my `bent's in the shop getting its new handlebars and brakes and I decide to get
> reacquainted with my Klein MB. I'm out for a brief 7 mile ride around my neighborhood, being
> reminded why I love my bent so much (crushing my "squishy bits", neck aching, hands going numb AND
> I'm a good
> mph slower, to boot!) when I feel, in rapid succession, a slight impact on helmet, a violent
> buzzing inside my helmet, and WHAM!! - a really
remarkable
> explosion of pain on the left side of my head! This sequence is repeated again almost
> immediately!! I'm going maybe 20 at the time so bailing off the bike isn't a viable option, so I
> start mashing the helmet onto my head in an attempt to squash the beasty. More angry buzzing. I
> start fumbling with the strap on my helmet, but my hands are numb and I get my fingers to work
> right because I can't feel the release! I finally get the damn thing off and drop it, hitting it
> with my rear wheel as it hits the ground. I
get
> stopped and go back to it, clutching my throbbing head to find a slightly damaged but still very
> much alive and angry bald-faced hornet (or at least that's what my entemology prof called `em
> twenty-odd years ago). I avoid the temptation to mash the little bugger into bits (after all, he
> was just minding his own business until I came along - How would you feel if you
got
> swallowed up by something resembling a giant green cockroach?) and went home. A baking soda
> plaster and lots of ice took most of the sting away, but I can still see/feel the marks he left.
>
> I've been riding bikes most of my life and wearing helmets for a good 25 years and this has never

"Timothy B. Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I once caught a wasp under my left helmet strap. Stung me right on the temple. That hurt, and by
> the time I got home, that side of my face had become very swollen.
>
Tell me, Tim. Did you end up seeing double ?? ;-) Dave.

Oooh! I ride a Giro too. So I'm not safe after all!

Maybe we need a helmet with a 'rip cord' to jettison it in case of emergency. There would be a small
explosive charge inside the helmet - like the ejection seat in a fighter aircraft. ;-)

"Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > Another powerful argument for recumbents. The lower profile and superior aerodynamics make it
> > less likely that a stinging insect could be trapped
by
> > the helmet :)
>
> Not at all. Maybe an argument for less ventilated helmets. I had the same
experience with a
> Honney Bee earlier in the summer riding my Giro.
>
> Here in Houston, less ventilated helmets are not an option. I'll take my
chances with the bees.
>
> --
>
> Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
> - Bellaire, TX USA -

"Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Or a front fairing.
>
> --
> Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2
>
....or a helmet that has ventilation and a route through that merely allows the bug to be ejected
out of the rear of the helmet.....Only problem here being that word'd get round the local bug
population about a brand new 'fairground ride' doing the rounds and everytime you ventured out you'd
be mobbed by thousands of the little critters wanting a go !! Whehey!! ;-) Dave.

Once, I was running uphill in the Spring and I brushed against a Scots' Broom bush. Dozens of
honeybees burst out. As I sucked air, one got pulled in and stung me in the back of my throat. It
swelled up badly and that bee was the last thing I had to eat for two days.

Even worse, last week I was sunbathing in a secluded area at the back of my place. A wasp
zoomed in and stung me on the nards. Not just once, but on both sides. That little ******* knew
just what he was doing. I had a 3-day layoff from riding anything with a seat. I rode to the
store for groceries on a DF, standing up all the way. You know all that SPAM we get about
enlargement pills?---------

Steve McDonald

My Mom was stung recently and her emergency room physician suggested that she start to carry around a bee sting kit because one never knows when one may have a catastrophic reaction to a bee sting. The kit has to be obtained with a prescription, but it could save a person's life. She's never had such a bad reaction to a sting before - the next time could be even worse, so she got the kit - advised me to do the same. Haven't yet, but....cuz what an unpleasant way to go.

Something to consider...

Wow, that's lousy. I had something similar this past summer when a hornet flew up my short sleeve
and stung me twice before I could stop and get my shirt off. I wasn't as kind as you, I squashed it
afterwards. I was riding a bent (OSS) at the time. I think it wouldn't (couldn't?) happen with USS
or a DF bike. You can read about my entire adventure at http://champlain.crazyguyonabike.com

I'd take getting a bug in the shirt over a bug in the helmet any day.

Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider (needless to say, it was on the E2)

Philbert wrote:
>
> I'm a good 2 mph slower, to boot!) when I feel, in rapid succession, a slight impact on helmet, a
> violent buzzing inside my helmet, and WHAM!! - a really remarkable explosion of pain on the left
> side of my head! This sequence is repeated again almost immediately!! I'm going maybe 20 at the
> time so bailing off the bike isn't a viable option, so I start mashing the helmet onto my head in
> an attempt to squash the beasty. More angry buzzing. I start fumbling with the strap on my helmet,
> but my hands are numb and I get my fingers to work right because I can't feel the release! I
> finally get the damn thing off and drop it, hitting it with my rear wheel as it hits the ground. I
> get stopped and go back to it, clutching my throbbing head to find a slightly damaged but still
> very much alive and angry bald-faced hornet (or at least that's what my entemology prof called `em
> was just minding his own business until I came along - How would you feel if you got swallowed up
> by something resembling a giant green cockroach?) and went home. A baking soda plaster and lots of
> ice took most of the sting away, but I can still see/feel the marks he left.
>

Why did the bee buzz?

Someone took his honey and nectar.

ahahahahahahahahahahaah!

"Timothy B. Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... In
a slightly different tack to this thread, this week there was some kind of small fly hatchout, and
twice while riding, I had to stop and remove my helmet because there were hundreds of small flies
that had made their way inside and it ITCHED big time. Never had that happen to me before.

Denis Rivest Stratus rider
>
> --
> This look left intentionally blank "Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > OK, so my `bent's in the shop getting its new handlebars and brakes and I decide to get
> > reacquainted with my Klein MB. I'm out for a brief 7 mile ride around my neighborhood, being
> > reminded why I love my bent so much (crushing my "squishy bits", neck aching, hands going numb
> > AND I'm a good
> 2
> > mph slower, to boot!) when I feel, in rapid succession, a slight impact on helmet, a violent
> > buzzing inside my helmet, and WHAM!! - a really
> remarkable
> > explosion of pain on the left side of my head! This sequence is repeated again almost
> > immediately!! I'm going maybe 20 at the time so bailing off the bike isn't a viable option, so I
> > start mashing the helmet onto my head in an attempt to squash the beasty. More angry buzzing. I
> > start fumbling with the strap on my helmet, but my hands are numb and I get my fingers to work
> > right because I can't feel the release! I finally get the damn thing off and drop it, hitting it
> > with my rear wheel as it hits the ground. I
> get
> > stopped and go back to it, clutching my throbbing head to find a slightly damaged but still very
> > much alive and angry bald-faced hornet (or at least that's what my entemology prof called `em
> > twenty-odd years ago). I avoid the temptation to mash the little bugger into bits (after all, he
> > was just minding his own business until I came along - How would you feel if you
> got
> > swallowed up by something resembling a giant green cockroach?) and went home. A baking soda
> > plaster and lots of ice took most of the sting away, but I can still see/feel the marks he left.
> >
> > I've been riding bikes most of my life and wearing helmets for a good 25 years and this has
> > never happened to me before... Man, I want my `bent back!
> >

PreciousBbird <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f6a7573$1_2 @news.chariot.net.au:

> My Mom was stung recently and her emergency room physician suggested that she start to carry
> around a bee sting kit because one never knows when one may have a catastrophic reaction to a bee
> sting. The kit has to be obtained with a prescription, but it could save a person's life. She's
> never had such a bad reaction to a sting before - the next time could be even worse, so she got
> the kit - advised me to do the same. Haven't yet, but....cuz what an unpleasant way to go.
>
> Something to consider...
>
>
>
> --
> The good traveler is not intent on reaching his destination. -- Lao Tzu
>
>>--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com
>

My sisters had to be refridgerated?

In article <Vm9ab.493201$uu5.83495@sccrnsc04>, Barry Zevan the weatherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Why did the bee buzz?
>
> Someone took his honey and nectar.
>
>
> ahahahahahahahahahahaah!

Ouch. That joke stung.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97716,00.html

>> This look left intentionally blank "Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > explosion of pain on the left side of my head! This sequence is repeated again almost
>> > immediately!! I'm going maybe 20 at the time so bailing off the bike isn't a viable option, so
>> > I start mashing the helmet onto my head in an attempt to squash the beasty. More angry buzzing.
>> > I start fumbling with the strap on my helmet, but my hands are numb and I get my fingers to
>> > work right because I can't feel the release! I finally get the damn thing off and drop it,
>> > hitting it with my rear wheel as it hits the ground. I
>> get
>> > stopped and go back to it, clutching my throbbing head to find a slightly damaged but still
>> > very much alive and angry bald-faced hornet

Status
Not open for further replies.