Road Cycling · Public discussion

beef about tour stage winners

Started by Gary · · Last activity · 43 posts · 1,279 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
15 June 2004
Last activity
20 June 2004
Original author
Gary
Posts
43
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,279
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 43
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!
    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

  2. "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!
    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

    It isn't a whole lot different than letting a no-hoper go off the front in a
    long road race to get a prime or intermediate points sprint. Just on a
    larger scale.

  3. "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!
    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

    Too many stage races and not enough single day (winner take all) races.
    It's only going to get worse with the "Pro Tour".
    -Mike

  4. Gary said:


    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!
    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

    that seems to be what stage racing is about though. although sometimes
    the leader wants to "stamp his authority" on a prestigious stage by
    winning it.

    as carl pointed out, this is also often how things like the king of the
    mountains award is won. some people complain about it, and some people
    think that's the way the strategy goes. why does it bother you? (curious)

    when you think about all the times someone has been in a break all day,
    but is caught on the final climb, or in the final flat kilometer, maybe
    you will have a little respect for those who make it all the way to the
    finish line to actually win the stage. (or maybe that's just me)

    heather, putting off training by wasting time posting..

  5. That's my point. It is so exciting to see the break reeled back in by
    the riders. I hate hearing, "Well, he's no threat so they let him go!"
    That seems such a poor basis for awarding a stage win. Find the best of
    the non-contenders and let them go at it while the best riders and teams
    sit back and relax. Just seems wrong. I understand it's part of the tour
    set-up but I still dislike it. Especially when all the teams with GC
    riders in contention hold back the entire squad and just watch. Yeck! I
    wish they could each send SOMEBODY up the road to contest. But I know
    that ain't gonna happen.

    h squared said:


    Gary said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!
    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

    that seems to be what stage racing is about though. although sometimes
    the leader wants to "stamp his authority" on a prestigious stage by
    winning it.

    as carl pointed out, this is also often how things like the king of the
    mountains award is won. some people complain about it, and some people
    think that's the way the strategy goes. why does it bother you? (curious)

    when you think about all the times someone has been in a break all day,
    but is caught on the final climb, or in the final flat kilometer, maybe
    you will have a little respect for those who make it all the way to the
    finish line to actually win the stage. (or maybe that's just me)

    heather, putting off training by wasting time posting..

  6. h squared said:
    Gary said:


    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't
    care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!
    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

    that seems to be what stage racing is about though. although sometimes
    the leader wants to "stamp his authority" on a prestigious stage by
    winning it.

    as carl pointed out, this is also often how things like the king of the
    mountains award is won. some people complain about it, and some people
    think that's the way the strategy goes. why does it bother you? (curious)

    when you think about all the times someone has been in a break all day,
    but is caught on the final climb, or in the final flat kilometer, maybe
    you will have a little respect for those who make it all the way to the
    finish line to actually win the stage. (or maybe that's just me)

    heather, putting off training by wasting time posting..

    Personally, I have great respect for anyone who wins any stage of a major
    bike race. Heck, I'm trying to ride my first century this year, and these
    guys ride one every day for 3 weeks. And they do it fast over incredible
    terrain. If I was number 100 on GC, I'd go for a win.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  7. Gary said:


    That's my point. It is so exciting to see the break reeled back in by
    the riders. I hate hearing, "Well, he's no threat so they let him go!"
    That seems such a poor basis for awarding a stage win. Find the best of
    the non-contenders and let them go at it while the best riders and teams
    sit back and relax. Just seems wrong. I understand it's part of the tour
    set-up but I still dislike it. Especially when all the teams with GC
    riders in contention hold back the entire squad and just watch. Yeck! I
    wish they could each send SOMEBODY up the road to contest. But I know
    that ain't gonna happen.

    those noncontenders on a solo or two man break still have to basically
    time trial the damn thing just as fast as the peleton (peloton?
    peletaaan? can't speel) is following.

    my experience is really limited, but i know i finished courses in a
    protected group in an hour and 22 minutes that i could only time trial
    at 1:35 on a very good day. there's no way i would ever get the guts to
    try to ride away from a group of the best pros in the world.

    heather
    p.s. i don't mean to be arguing with you, i'm ok with you not liking the
    situation 🙂 just sayin how i see it.

  8. Bob in CT said:

    Personally, I have great respect for anyone who wins any stage of a major
    bike race. Heck, I'm trying to ride my first century this year, and these
    guys ride one every day for 3 weeks. And they do it fast over incredible
    terrain.

    that's what i thought too after i did my first leisurely century. ("god
    i'm freaking tired! now if i just raced this instead of cruising it, and
    then did it 20 more times, then i might know a little what it's like to
    do a stage race"😉 never tried it out though!

    heather

  9. Gary said:

    That's my point. It is so exciting to see the break reeled back in by
    the riders. I hate hearing, "Well, he's no threat so they let him go!"
    That seems such a poor basis for awarding a stage win. Find the best of
    the non-contenders and let them go at it while the best riders and teams
    sit back and relax. Just seems wrong. I understand it's part of the tour
    set-up but I still dislike it. Especially when all the teams with GC
    riders in contention hold back the entire squad and just watch. Yeck! I
    wish they could each send SOMEBODY up the road to contest. But I know
    that ain't gonna happen.


    GC, schmee see. That's less than half the race.

    Non-contenders aren't necessarily looser-wash-up nobodies. What about
    all the classics riders that show up for the tour hunting for stage
    wins? Dekker? Flecha? don't you remember Flecha from last year?

    Don't want to watch? Be my guest.

  10. "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either.

    Is this a troll? Uh, the only reason that droping on GC helps in stage wins
    is that it means you do not have to race against the entire teams that
    contain GC hopefuls. This is not even an issue in single day races but in
    Tours, the teams with highly placed GC riders have an obligation to chase
    down any threat to GC but not necessarily stage winners. It still means you
    race against the whole peloton, but there is no additional conflict with the
    few highest teams (on GC). This is why it is so very hard (and damn near
    impossible) for riders high on GC to actually take a stage win aside from
    mountain top finishes and TTs.

    Get it?

    "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!

    Quoted message said:

    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

  11. "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    That's my point. It is so exciting to see the break reeled back in by
    the riders. I hate hearing, "Well, he's no threat so they let him go!"
    That seems such a poor basis for awarding a stage win. Find the best of
    the non-contenders and let them go at it while the best riders and teams

    You are taking the comentary far too literally. The whole race is not
    letting him go, the few teams with GC prospects might let him go in order to
    look after their GC man. They would not be racing for the stage win anyway,
    so why do you care? Do you think there should be no stage wins for any rider
    past 5th on GC? I think you really are missing the whole point of GTs and
    bike racing. Maybe you need to learn more than what you pick up from people
    that are merely paid to talk during the racing whether there is something
    important to say or not.

    Quoted message said:

    sit back and relax. Just seems wrong. I understand it's part of the tour
    set-up but I still dislike it. Especially when all the teams with GC
    riders in contention hold back the entire squad and just watch. Yeck! I
    wish they could each send SOMEBODY up the road to contest. But I know
    that ain't gonna happen.

    h squared said:


    Gary said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't


    care.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!
    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

    that seems to be what stage racing is about though. although sometimes
    the leader wants to "stamp his authority" on a prestigious stage by
    winning it.

    as carl pointed out, this is also often how things like the king of the
    mountains award is won. some people complain about it, and some people
    think that's the way the strategy goes. why does it bother you?


    (curious)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    when you think about all the times someone has been in a break all day,
    but is caught on the final climb, or in the final flat kilometer, maybe
    you will have a little respect for those who make it all the way to the
    finish line to actually win the stage. (or maybe that's just me)

    heather, putting off training by wasting time posting..


  12. Gary said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't
    care. I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers
    me. And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest
    today" because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee!
    He beat a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no
    threat either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh! There! I
    got that off my chest. Gary

    Well, what else do you want to have happen during one of the non-
    mountain stages? Hmm? It's not that the GC contenders just _let_
    anything go. Especially in the TdF where there is so much publicity to
    be had, guys attack like mad in the first 20-30km of the race to try and
    BE one of those guys that the GC contenders "let go". It's not exactly
    that they are let go, but the GC contenders have to pick and choose
    where to expend their energy and as long as they guys off the front
    aren't a threat to the GC/Points/Mountains jersey competitions, then
    there isn't a real point in chasing them down and using precious energy
    of your team or your GC rider. Unfortunately, you don't get to see all
    of this on TV as the coverage doesn't start until a few hours into the
    race. Getting into a successful break is an impressive feat - you have
    to get lucky and get in the right move with the right guys (witness the
    poor [censored] who went off the front w/Stefano Garzelli in that one
    stage of the Giro - they were doomed from the minute he made the bridge
    to them, or the time that Cioni went with the break in Stage 5 - none of
    the guys wanted him there because he was a GC threat and the other teams
    would have to chase the break down, so they ditched him (and Fred Rod
    because they don't want a good sprinter with them either)). There are
    only a dozen real GC contenders in the pack, 10 real sprinters and 200
    guys who want to win a stage. There's more competition for the in-
    between stages that are won from breaks than for the mountain top
    finishes or the sprints. And as peckledoggy pointed out, you have to
    actually be strong enough to stay away, especially if the stage is flat
    and the sprinters' teams are chasing. Before you go ranting about bike
    racing and what you view as being wrong with the sport, why not watch a
    few races and learn why things happen the way they do?

    --

  13. Chris said:

    They would not be racing for the stage win anyway,
    so why do you care? Do you think there should be no stage wins for any rider
    past 5th on GC?

    Besides, sometimes the real fun is when a non-contender break turns
    into something else altogether. Sometimes a new team leader shows up
    because he was marking a nothing break that kept going. Or the
    contenders are looking at each other only to realize that up the road
    is real danger. Who wants to watch five podium contenders mark each
    other for 20-23 stages? Besides, it forces the announcers to memorize
    everyone's name (not that I would know if they were making up the
    entire lead group sometimes).

    My sympathies are the other way. I sometimes wish there was less
    communication, to reintroduce an element of chance that is diminished.
    Dropped train gates aren't the excitement they once were. Nor are
    breaks that lose touch with the peloton.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  14. I am not at all saying these riders aren't doing something hard. It's
    just that the illusion is they did more than it appears. If they were
    really GC contenders it would not have happened for them. It's like
    Rassmussen said about not coming in with a good time the day before he
    won a stage. If he was close they never would have let him go. Seems
    wrong to drop back out of contention so you can escape without being
    chased by the contending teams.

    h squared said:


    Bob in CT said:

    Personally, I have great respect for anyone who wins any stage of a major
    bike race. Heck, I'm trying to ride my first century this year, and these
    guys ride one every day for 3 weeks. And they do it fast over incredible
    terrain.

    that's what i thought too after i did my first leisurely century. ("god
    i'm freaking tired! now if i just raced this instead of cruising it, and
    then did it 20 more times, then i might know a little what it's like to
    do a stage race"😉 never tried it out though!

    heather

  15. Man, you don't know much about trolls. I'm just pointing out what I see
    as an unfortunate situation in stage races that always bothers me. Of
    course, it's not an issue in one-day races. Duh!

    Chris said:

    "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either.

    Is this a troll? Uh, the only reason that droping on GC helps in stage wins
    is that it means you do not have to race against the entire teams that
    contain GC hopefuls. This is not even an issue in single day races but in
    Tours, the teams with highly placed GC riders have an obligation to chase
    down any threat to GC but not necessarily stage winners. It still means you
    race against the whole peloton, but there is no additional conflict with the
    few highest teams (on GC). This is why it is so very hard (and damn near
    impossible) for riders high on GC to actually take a stage win aside from
    mountain top finishes and TTs.

    Get it?

    "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!

    Quoted message said:

    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

  16. No way, Buddy. I post occasionally and never try to insult or name call.
    I ask questions I am interested in or in this case just state
    something that bothers me. I also stated I knew there was nothing to be
    done about it. I have watched enough racing to know it's the proper
    strategy for contending teams but it is nonetheless unfortunate for me.
    I guess I just wish every stage would be fully contested. So, drop the
    troll stuff.

    Mark VandenBerghe said:

    Troll

    Mark VandenBerghe

    "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!
    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

  17. Troll

    Mark VandenBerghe

    "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't care.
    I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers me.
    And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest today"
    because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee! He beat
    a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no threat
    either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh!
    There! I got that off my chest.
    Gary

  18. I have watched countless races on TV and several in person. I love the
    sport but just always regret when these guys are chased by only two or
    three teams. I guess I enjoy watching a REAL break get chased down or be
    able to stay away. It's exciting to see if the pelton can pull back a
    break or not and whether the timing will be just right. Same for when a
    break is pulle dback so the sprinters can contest the win.I just dislike
    hearing, "He's no threat so they let him go." I understand the strategy
    and would do the same thing as team leader. Doesn't mean I have to like
    it as a fan.
    Savvy?

    pedalchick said:
    Gary said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't
    care. I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers
    me. And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest
    today" because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee!
    He beat a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no
    threat either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh! There! I
    got that off my chest. Gary

    Well, what else do you want to have happen during one of the non-
    mountain stages? Hmm? It's not that the GC contenders just _let_
    anything go. Especially in the TdF where there is so much publicity to
    be had, guys attack like mad in the first 20-30km of the race to try and
    BE one of those guys that the GC contenders "let go". It's not exactly
    that they are let go, but the GC contenders have to pick and choose
    where to expend their energy and as long as they guys off the front
    aren't a threat to the GC/Points/Mountains jersey competitions, then
    there isn't a real point in chasing them down and using precious energy
    of your team or your GC rider. Unfortunately, you don't get to see all
    of this on TV as the coverage doesn't start until a few hours into the
    race. Getting into a successful break is an impressive feat - you have
    to get lucky and get in the right move with the right guys (witness the
    poor [censored] who went off the front w/Stefano Garzelli in that one
    stage of the Giro - they were doomed from the minute he made the bridge
    to them, or the time that Cioni went with the break in Stage 5 - none of
    the guys wanted him there because he was a GC threat and the other teams
    would have to chase the break down, so they ditched him (and Fred Rod
    because they don't want a good sprinter with them either)). There are
    only a dozen real GC contenders in the pack, 10 real sprinters and 200
    guys who want to win a stage. There's more competition for the in-
    between stages that are won from breaks than for the mountain top
    finishes or the sprints. And as peckledoggy pointed out, you have to
    actually be strong enough to stay away, especially if the stage is flat
    and the sprinters' teams are chasing. Before you go ranting about bike
    racing and what you view as being wrong with the sport, why not watch a
    few races and learn why things happen the way they do?

    --

  19. This is what I'm talking about. Back off GC so nobody will chase you:

    "Danish climber Michael Rasmussen (1999 World MTB Champion) took it easy
    in yesterday's stage to Sisteron, losing 11'47" and dropping out of
    contention for the overall. But on today's penultimate stage, Rasmussen
    took a gamble and attacked from the start up the Col Bayard out of Gap,
    looking for a stage win.

    "I had to make up for yesterday when I took it easy", explained the
    rail-thin Dane whose mountain bike nickname 'Chicken' is beginning to
    circulate in the road peloton. "Yesterday I made a tactical decision to
    take it easy and today it worked out."

    Rasmussen's director sportif Erik Breukink told Cyclingnews that, "After
    Michael had problems on the Ventoux, he wasn't that interested in 9th on
    GC, so he took it easy yesterday to attack today. Yes, you can plan it,
    but to do it is another thing."

    pedalchick said:
    Gary said:

    I seem to get upset every time somebody wins a stage because "they are
    so far down the GC that they are no threat." That means the top riders
    and their teams allow these would-be stage winners to get away from the
    best riders of that tour without much of a fight and yet there is
    rejoicing when some rider who fell way off the GC pace beats the other
    also-rans to the finish line in a seemingly meaningless adventure over
    the parcours. It's up to the weaker teams (evidently with some lower GC
    positions at stake) to chase these breaks since the main teams don't
    care. I know there is nothing to be done about this but it still bothers
    me. And I surely don't want to hear that so-and-so "was the strongest
    today" because he accomplished this only semi-impressive feat. Whoopee!
    He beat a few other riders so far down in the GC that THEY were no
    threat either. "What a big win this is for" so-and-so! Gosh! There! I
    got that off my chest. Gary

    Well, what else do you want to have happen during one of the non-
    mountain stages? Hmm? It's not that the GC contenders just _let_
    anything go. Especially in the TdF where there is so much publicity to
    be had, guys attack like mad in the first 20-30km of the race to try and
    BE one of those guys that the GC contenders "let go". It's not exactly
    that they are let go, but the GC contenders have to pick and choose
    where to expend their energy and as long as they guys off the front
    aren't a threat to the GC/Points/Mountains jersey competitions, then
    there isn't a real point in chasing them down and using precious energy
    of your team or your GC rider. Unfortunately, you don't get to see all
    of this on TV as the coverage doesn't start until a few hours into the
    race. Getting into a successful break is an impressive feat - you have
    to get lucky and get in the right move with the right guys (witness the
    poor [censored] who went off the front w/Stefano Garzelli in that one
    stage of the Giro - they were doomed from the minute he made the bridge
    to them, or the time that Cioni went with the break in Stage 5 - none of
    the guys wanted him there because he was a GC threat and the other teams
    would have to chase the break down, so they ditched him (and Fred Rod
    because they don't want a good sprinter with them either)). There are
    only a dozen real GC contenders in the pack, 10 real sprinters and 200
    guys who want to win a stage. There's more competition for the in-
    between stages that are won from breaks than for the mountain top
    finishes or the sprints. And as peckledoggy pointed out, you have to
    actually be strong enough to stay away, especially if the stage is flat
    and the sprinters' teams are chasing. Before you go ranting about bike
    racing and what you view as being wrong with the sport, why not watch a
    few races and learn why things happen the way they do?

    --

  20. "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    No way, Buddy. I post occasionally and never try to insult or name call.
    I ask questions I am interested in or in this case just state
    something that bothers me. I also stated I knew there was nothing to be
    done about it. I have watched enough racing to know it's the proper
    strategy for contending teams but it is nonetheless unfortunate for me.
    I guess I just wish every stage would be fully contested. So, drop the
    troll stuff.

    Perhaps you'd prefer to watch omniums??

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.