Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Beginner - Giant bicycle buying advice

Started by ChrisW · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,030 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
21 April 2006
Last activity
22 April 2006
Original author
ChrisW
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,030
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I'm a 29yo beginner who hasn't cycled much before. I'm looking for a
    nice road cycle for general fitness. I will probably just be doing laps
    around my local cycle park - Heffron Park in Maroubra. Anyone familiar
    with this track? It's a little hilly and at times quite windy. I was
    riding a Giant hybrid a few years back and it felt like I was peddling
    in mud.

    Any thoughts on the Giant OCR or TCR cycles? There's such a large range
    I just can't get my head around them. The OCR looks good. Can spend up
    to $2000. Do I need a triple-crankset since I'm a beginner? Also,
    should I get a custom-fit cycle to prevent injury or are those standard
    sizes ok?

    thanks,
    Chris

  2. ChrisW said:

    Hi,

    I'm a 29yo beginner who hasn't cycled much before. I'm looking for a
    nice road cycle for general fitness. I will probably just be doing laps
    around my local cycle park - Heffron Park in Maroubra. Anyone familiar
    with this track? It's a little hilly and at times quite windy. I was
    riding a Giant hybrid a few years back and it felt like I was peddling
    in mud.

    Any thoughts on the Giant OCR or TCR cycles? There's such a large range
    I just can't get my head around them. The OCR looks good. Can spend up
    to $2000. Do I need a triple-crankset since I'm a beginner? Also,
    should I get a custom-fit cycle to prevent injury or are those standard
    sizes ok?

    thanks,
    Chris

    Giant's OCR range is very popular, judging by their numbers on the Melbourne BR. Go to a shop and insist on have a ride and spend some time getting the bike fitted to your size/flexibility. You don't need a triple because you're a beginner - it comes down to the kind of hills you want to climb. Triples tend to offer a lower lowest gear than doubles, so you can climb steeper hills more comfortably, but can require a little more care in tuning (so they shift nicely). Maroubra and surrounds are not especially steep, though you might want to go ride Royal National Park which is hilly (but again, not especially steep).

    There is racing at Heffron Park, turn up on a Saturday afternoon around 2pm and say hello to the Randwick-Botany CC people. Apart from racing, they can offer all kinds of valuable advice for beginning cyclists and you can bet there will be some Giant OCRs floating around.

    Good luck
    Ritch

  3. ChrisW said:

    Hi,

    I'm a 29yo beginner who hasn't cycled much before. I'm looking for a
    nice road cycle for general fitness. I will probably just be doing laps
    around my local cycle park - Heffron Park in Maroubra. Anyone familiar
    with this track? It's a little hilly and at times quite windy. I was
    riding a Giant hybrid a few years back and it felt like I was peddling
    in mud.

    Any thoughts on the Giant OCR or TCR cycles? There's such a large range
    I just can't get my head around them. The OCR looks good. Can spend up
    to $2000. Do I need a triple-crankset since I'm a beginner? Also,
    should I get a custom-fit cycle to prevent injury or are those standard
    sizes ok?

    thanks,
    Chris


    Have a look at the OCR 2, put some good tyres on and you're away. A good entry level bike with a tripple at about $1200 plus $100 for a good set of tyres.

    Tripples are handy but not necessary, providing their are not a lot of hills (steeeep and long) in the area that you ride. If you get a double then maybe replace the 23 on the rear with a 25 or 27.

  4. Hi Chris,

    I've had a TCR for over 10 years and its done a great job - just had it
    serviced and its in good nick, shame about the rider though!

    IMO if you can aford the $2000, spend it - the nicer the bike, the more
    enjoyment you'll get out of it.

    You don't necessarily need a triple, but as a beginner make sure they
    gear it up appropriately - you won't want too high gear ratios - you
    can always change the rear cassette when your riding is stronger.

    Karl aka Stomper

  5. "ChrisW" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I'm a 29yo beginner who hasn't cycled much before. I'm looking for a
    nice road cycle for general fitness. I will probably just be doing laps
    around my local cycle park - Heffron Park in Maroubra. Anyone familiar
    with this track? It's a little hilly and at times quite windy. I was
    riding a Giant hybrid a few years back and it felt like I was peddling
    in mud.

    Any thoughts on the Giant OCR or TCR cycles? There's such a large range
    I just can't get my head around them. The OCR looks good. Can spend up
    to $2000. Do I need a triple-crankset since I'm a beginner? Also,
    should I get a custom-fit cycle to prevent injury or are those standard
    sizes ok?

    thanks,
    Chris

    Come down and see Randwick Botany Cycling club at 1pm at the club house on
    the east side of the park near the pool. Racing starts 2pm for D,E, F grades
    which sounds like you may fit into one of these. Many Giant OCR's about and
    you can have a look at racing. Yes it can be a bit windy and i reckon today
    will be as well. Although it will be a southerly which gives you great
    assistance over the back half of the course and over the "pimples". Just
    make sure you get a lead out for the sprint into the headwind. Don't be put
    off by racing though, DEF grades have small bunhes with more emphasis on
    riding not winning the tour de france. It will teach you good bike skills,
    bunch skills and cornering.

    Come see me down the desk. I will probably be on it over the next few weeks.
    I also race D grade. I am the bloke with the brown dog (club mascot!!)

    Talk to your local bike shop regarding bike fit and sizing. Generally off
    the shelf should fit with adjustment to seats, stem, etc unless you have a
    "custom" body. This will also be your cheaper option.

    Cheers

    Matt

  6. Bought a OCR C2 (full carbon frame and 10sp 105) just over 3 weeks ago and
    is going great (500+km). Got it for just over $2000 (RRP $2500) from the
    LBS, how the haggling skills?. It has taken a number of adjustment to seat
    height and position to get it spot on, but nothing dramatic over how the LBS
    set it up for me. I was brand new to road cycling so I had some additional
    expenses such as shoes, computer and clothing etc, so take this in to
    consideration in your budgeting if the same for you. My budget was a fair
    bit less than $2000 but the carbon frame was to good to pass up.

    Cheers

    Simon

    "Beanzy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "ChrisW" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I'm a 29yo beginner who hasn't cycled much before. I'm looking for a
    nice road cycle for general fitness. I will probably just be doing laps
    around my local cycle park - Heffron Park in Maroubra. Anyone familiar
    with this track? It's a little hilly and at times quite windy. I was
    riding a Giant hybrid a few years back and it felt like I was peddling
    in mud.

    Any thoughts on the Giant OCR or TCR cycles? There's such a large range
    I just can't get my head around them. The OCR looks good. Can spend up
    to $2000. Do I need a triple-crankset since I'm a beginner? Also,
    should I get a custom-fit cycle to prevent injury or are those standard
    sizes ok?

    thanks,
    Chris

    Come down and see Randwick Botany Cycling club at 1pm at the club house on
    the east side of the park near the pool. Racing starts 2pm for D,E, F
    grades which sounds like you may fit into one of these. Many Giant OCR's
    about and you can have a look at racing. Yes it can be a bit windy and i
    reckon today will be as well. Although it will be a southerly which gives
    you great assistance over the back half of the course and over the
    "pimples". Just make sure you get a lead out for the sprint into the
    headwind. Don't be put off by racing though, DEF grades have small bunhes
    with more emphasis on riding not winning the tour de france. It will teach
    you good bike skills, bunch skills and cornering.

    Come see me down the desk. I will probably be on it over the next few
    weeks. I also race D grade. I am the bloke with the brown dog (club
    mascot!!)

    Talk to your local bike shop regarding bike fit and sizing. Generally off
    the shelf should fit with adjustment to seats, stem, etc unless you have a
    "custom" body. This will also be your cheaper option.

    Cheers

    Matt

  7. Thanks for all the help. Heading off to the shops to check them out in
    person. May check out the meet sometime once I muster up the courage
    hehe.

    regards,
    Chris

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.