Belgian Iron Man!

Kevan Smith

Guest
You may recall that next week is my racing debut. I'll be doing 100 miles in South, LA.

I am pathetically undertrained, and I have nowhere near the miles I wanted going into it. I'll
finish, though.

Today, I decided to do a long ride. It was about 59 and cloudy when I started. About 20 miles out,
it started raining, a strong wind came up and the temperature dropped. I wasn't miserable yet, so I
decided to keep riding.

Misery hit at mile 30. I was feeling the onset of hypothermia, and I was focused like a zombie on
just turning the pedals to get home. Fortunately, all that fixed gear riding I did over winter paid
off; I just plopped her into a small gear and started spinning.

If my ride today was anything like the Belgian early season classics, I am so very glad I'm not a
pro. I'm still dieting, so I didn't even reward my ride with fries an mayo; it was rice, black beans
and a small bit of baked salmon.

Het Volk was canceled this year, BTW.

--
[email protected]
Ghost echoes.

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You may recall that next week is my racing debut. I'll be doing 100 miles
in
> South, LA.
>
> I am pathetically undertrained, and I have nowhere near the miles I wanted
going
> into it. I'll finish, though.
>
> Today, I decided to do a long ride. It was about 59 and cloudy when I
started.
> About 20 miles out, it started raining, a strong wind came up and the temperature dropped. I
> wasn't miserable yet, so I decided to keep riding.
>
> Misery hit at mile 30. I was feeling the onset of hypothermia, and I was
focused
> like a zombie on just turning the pedals to get home. Fortunately, all
that
> fixed gear riding I did over winter paid off; I just plopped her into a
small
> gear and started spinning.
>
> If my ride today was anything like the Belgian early season classics, I am
so
> very glad I'm not a pro. I'm still dieting, so I didn't even reward my
ride with
> fries an mayo; it was rice, black beans and a small bit of baked salmon.
>
> Het Volk was canceled this year, BTW.

Good for you, Kev. Keep at it and you can be the new Fabrizio. :) Where is your race in south
Louisiana?

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:06:20 -0600, Kevan Smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I wasn't miserable yet, so I decided to keep riding.

I know whatch mean, but this sounds so funny; "monty pythonesque" we wanted to wait until we were in
Misery ( a small town outside Gotham city.)

>Misery hit at mile 30. I was feeling the onset of hypothermia, and I was focused like a zombie on
>just turning the pedals to get home. Fortunately, all that

Ghost in the mahine.

>fixed gear riding I did over winter paid off; I just plopped her into a small gear and started
>spinning.

>If my ride today was anything like the Belgian early season classics, I am so very glad I'm
>not a pro

Yeah, yeah, and you'll come in a disappointing 3rd or something, all the while fussing about how out
of shape you are <sigh>. But I love the way this ng tells the tales of biking; like Bill Murray in
Stripes - 'the stories!'

> I'm still dieting, so I didn't even reward my ride with fries an mayo; it was rice, black beans
> and a small bit of baked salmon.

I live on salmon an greenbeans and coffee! The girls (my girls) try to tempt me with fries, but I
hold the line, hehe. I'm down 10lbs since mid Feb.

-B

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:52:14 -0500, Badger_South <[email protected]> from wrote:

>Yeah, yeah, and you'll come in a disappointing 3rd or something, all the while fussing about how
>out of shape you are <sigh>.

That would be great, but I'm just really looking to finish.

--
[email protected]
Make a sudden, destructive unpredictable action; incorporate.