Belgian Iron Man!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kevan Smith, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    You may recall that next week is my racing debut. I'll be doing 100 miles in South, LA.

    I am pathetically undertrained, and I have nowhere near the miles I wanted going into it. I'll
    finish, though.

    Today, I decided to do a long ride. It was about 59 and cloudy when I started. About 20 miles out,
    it started raining, a strong wind came up and the temperature dropped. I wasn't miserable yet, so I
    decided to keep riding.

    Misery hit at mile 30. I was feeling the onset of hypothermia, and I was focused like a zombie on
    just turning the pedals to get home. Fortunately, all that fixed gear riding I did over winter paid
    off; I just plopped her into a small gear and started spinning.

    If my ride today was anything like the Belgian early season classics, I am so very glad I'm not a
    pro. I'm still dieting, so I didn't even reward my ride with fries an mayo; it was rice, black beans
    and a small bit of baked salmon.

    Het Volk was canceled this year, BTW.

    --
    [email protected]
    Ghost echoes.

  2. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You may recall that next week is my racing debut. I'll be doing 100 miles
    in
    > South, LA.
    >
    > I am pathetically undertrained, and I have nowhere near the miles I wanted
    going
    > into it. I'll finish, though.
    >
    > Today, I decided to do a long ride. It was about 59 and cloudy when I
    started.
    > About 20 miles out, it started raining, a strong wind came up and the temperature dropped. I
    > wasn't miserable yet, so I decided to keep riding.
    >
    > Misery hit at mile 30. I was feeling the onset of hypothermia, and I was
    focused
    > like a zombie on just turning the pedals to get home. Fortunately, all
    that
    > fixed gear riding I did over winter paid off; I just plopped her into a
    small
    > gear and started spinning.
    >
    > If my ride today was anything like the Belgian early season classics, I am
    so
    > very glad I'm not a pro. I'm still dieting, so I didn't even reward my
    ride with
    > fries an mayo; it was rice, black beans and a small bit of baked salmon.
    >
    > Het Volk was canceled this year, BTW.

    Good for you, Kev. Keep at it and you can be the new Fabrizio. :) Where is your race in south
    Louisiana?

  3. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:06:20 -0600, Kevan Smith <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I wasn't miserable yet, so I decided to keep riding.

    I know whatch mean, but this sounds so funny; "monty pythonesque" we wanted to wait until we were in
    Misery ( a small town outside Gotham city.)

    >Misery hit at mile 30. I was feeling the onset of hypothermia, and I was focused like a zombie on
    >just turning the pedals to get home. Fortunately, all that

    Ghost in the mahine.

    >fixed gear riding I did over winter paid off; I just plopped her into a small gear and started
    >spinning.

    >If my ride today was anything like the Belgian early season classics, I am so very glad I'm
    >not a pro

    Yeah, yeah, and you'll come in a disappointing 3rd or something, all the while fussing about how out
    of shape you are <sigh>. But I love the way this ng tells the tales of biking; like Bill Murray in
    Stripes - 'the stories!'

    > I'm still dieting, so I didn't even reward my ride with fries an mayo; it was rice, black beans
    > and a small bit of baked salmon.

    I live on salmon an greenbeans and coffee! The girls (my girls) try to tempt me with fries, but I
    hold the line, hehe. I'm down 10lbs since mid Feb.

    -B

  4. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

  5. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:52:14 -0500, Badger_South <[email protected]> from wrote:

    >Yeah, yeah, and you'll come in a disappointing 3rd or something, all the while fussing about how
    >out of shape you are <sigh>.

    That would be great, but I'm just really looking to finish.

    --
    [email protected]
    Make a sudden, destructive unpredictable action; incorporate.