Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Bents & the Trans Canada Trail

Started by Around Australia Recumbent Style · · Last activity · 6 posts · 648 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
15 June 2004
Last activity
25 June 2004
Original author
Around Australia Recumbent Style
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
648
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi fellow bentee's.

    I am wondering if anyone out there has ridden a recumbent down the Trans
    Canada Trail?
    If so, is there anywhere I can read about your experiences?

    I am thinking of a cross Canada and USA trip on a SWB and thought the TCT
    would be a bit of fun. From what I can find, the trail appears to have some
    mountain bike bits but also a fair bit of bike path, country road and
    highway stuff in it, so it could be fun to have a go at.

    All replies welcome.

    regards

    Andrew

    http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooker59/CycleTouring.html

  2. Hi Andrew
    When are you planning your ride on the TCT?
    If you use Google, just type in Trans-Canada Trail and pages of info sites
    appear.
    I thought about the rail trails, but from what I have seen a tadpole would
    never survive and the minds who develped these trails put steel posts up too
    narrow for a trike (supposed to block cars and ATVs). Someone did ride the
    6005 Km route on a bent in 13 days, but I cannot find much info on that
    ride/

    Joshua
    ******

    "Around Australia Recumbent Style" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi fellow bentee's.

    I am wondering if anyone out there has ridden a recumbent down the Trans
    Canada Trail?
    If so, is there anywhere I can read about your experiences?

    I am thinking of a cross Canada and USA trip on a SWB and thought the TCT
    would be a bit of fun. From what I can find, the trail appears to have


    some

    Quoted message said:

    mountain bike bits but also a fair bit of bike path, country road and
    highway stuff in it, so it could be fun to have a go at.

    All replies welcome.

    regards

    Andrew

    http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooker59/CycleTouring.html

  3. My son and I regularly ride or tadpoles on the Georgian Trail (or Oro
    Medonte trail) which are both sub trails off of the TCT, according to the
    maps I've read. Right now we mainly do excursions from Barrie north to
    Orillia and are slowly building up the mileage and distance. Time is not
    our friend at night 🙂

    As for the trail, it is covered in crushed limestone and is more than wide
    enough to ride side by side on the trikes. It's definitely wide enough for
    a vehicle to drive down but has posts at most of the major road-crossings to
    prevent this. In the vast majority of areas the trail is packed very well
    and easy to ride on with road tires (not to be confused with road bikes 🙂).
    It is not rough at all and there is only the very occasional spot where the
    gravel is a little loose and difficult to ride through but they are all
    mainly limited to very short sections (like 10 or 20 feet). In my rather
    low state of fitness, it is very easy to maintain a 20kph cruise rate
    indefinitely and on many parts we average 25 to 30kph and definitely higher
    when we are pushing it. The blocking posts are more than wide enough to
    allow a trike to go through or around them and while we ride, we remove
    pieces of [censored], rocks or other debris that find their way onto the trails.
    We've honed our skill to the point we can reach down and grab them as we
    drive by at about a 20 to 25kph cruise speed. The path is relatively
    straight and has very gradual uphill and downhill sections due to the
    train's grade requirements.

    There is another section of rail bed that was converted to bike path on the
    west side of the 400/hwy 11 that runs north south as well. From where, to
    where, not sure, but I am told it is in similar condition to the stretch
    between Barrie and Orillia. I'm not sure how many sections of TCT are like
    the rail trails in our area, but they are more than capable of being ridden
    with trikes and bents. Even road bikes could easily ride on most parts if
    they don't have the ultra narrow tires.

    "Around Australia Recumbent Style" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi fellow bentee's.

    I am wondering if anyone out there has ridden a recumbent down the Trans
    Canada Trail?
    If so, is there anywhere I can read about your experiences?

    I am thinking of a cross Canada and USA trip on a SWB and thought the TCT
    would be a bit of fun. From what I can find, the trail appears to have


    some

    Quoted message said:

    mountain bike bits but also a fair bit of bike path, country road and
    highway stuff in it, so it could be fun to have a go at.

    All replies welcome.

    regards

    Andrew

    http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooker59/CycleTouring.html

  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Around Australia Recumbent Style" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    Hi fellow bentee's.
    I am wondering if anyone out there has ridden a recumbent down the Trans
    Canada Trail?
    If so, is there anywhere I can read about your experiences?
    I am thinking of a cross Canada and USA trip on a SWB and thought the TCT
    would be a bit of fun. From what I can find, the trail appears to have


    some

    Quoted message said:

    mountain bike bits but also a fair bit of bike path, country road and
    highway stuff in it, so it could be fun to have a go at.
    All replies welcome.
    regards
    Andrew
    http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooker59/CycleTouring.html

    I have ridden sections of the TCT in Ontario by trike.

    It is important to point out that many sections are for HIKING and not
    rideable by bike at all. Often there is *no notation* of this at all. At one
    point I had ridden about 15km out of my way at sunset and then I was dumped
    off in the woods in a section with boardwalks and about 130 steep stairs
    with a " No Bicycles" sign.
    After cycling about 100km loaded that day. I chose to carry by fully-loaded
    trike up those stairs while being chewed alive by mosquitos.
    There was no safe reasonable alternative.

    Also there are sections on Lake Ontario that are beautiful, but take you
    many many miles in patterns that take you functionally no where. They are
    often scenic, but it can get aggravating.

    That said- it is easy to pick a nearby road and just skip sections of the
    TCT.

  5. Hi Jay

    Are you aware of a bike trail from the East end of Toronto to Port Hope. I
    had heard a few years ago a Lakeshore route was planned, but I don't know if
    it was ever done.

    There is a 30 mile SE rail trail from Lindsay to Peterborough and Port Hope
    is just 30 miles SW of Peterborough and I believe there is a trail part of
    that route along the Gananaska River. Just seems retarded going 60 miles NE
    to Lidsay to then go 30 miles SE to Peterborough and then 30 mile SW to Port
    Hope, when IF there was a lakeshore route I can ride 90 miles due East.

    Joshua
    ******

    "Jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    /CycleTouring.html

    I have ridden sections of the TCT in Ontario by trike.

    It is important to point out that many sections are for HIKING and not
    rideable by bike at all. Often there is *no notation* of this at all. At


    one

    Quoted message said:

    point I had ridden about 15km out of my way at sunset and then I was


    dumped

    Quoted message said:

    off in the woods in a section with boardwalks and about 130 steep stairs
    with a " No Bicycles" sign.
    After cycling about 100km loaded that day. I chose to carry by


    fully-loaded

    Quoted message said:

    trike up those stairs while being chewed alive by mosquitos.
    There was no safe reasonable alternative.

    Also there are sections on Lake Ontario that are beautiful, but take you
    many many miles in patterns that take you functionally no where. They are
    often scenic, but it can get aggravating.

    That said- it is easy to pick a nearby road and just skip sections of the
    TCT.

  6. Thanks everyone, as usual, all info worth the read.
    regards,

    Andrew
    http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooker59/CycleTouring.html

    "Around Australia Recumbent Style" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi fellow bentee's.

    I am wondering if anyone out there has ridden a recumbent down the Trans
    Canada Trail?
    If so, is there anywhere I can read about your experiences?

    I am thinking of a cross Canada and USA trip on a SWB and thought the TCT
    would be a bit of fun. From what I can find, the trail appears to have


    some

    Quoted message said:

    mountain bike bits but also a fair bit of bike path, country road and
    highway stuff in it, so it could be fun to have a go at.

    All replies welcome.

    regards

    Andrew

    http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooker59/CycleTouring.html

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.