Best bike shop in Brisbane and Gold Coast, Queensland

ashura

Apr 10, 2005
Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I'm new here so nice to meet you all; I want to buy a road bike, could you guys please recommend me a good bike shop around those area above? (Brisbane/Gold Coast area)? I visited LBS near my suburb but their services is poor so don't want to buy/order bike from them. (I also have a car so I'm looking a good bike shop with good services and price :D)

I rode MTB, don't know much about road bike so please feel free to recommend me something also (My budget is around AUD$1800-2800).
I read this forum for 1 week and read a lot (Felt, Giant, Learsport, Cannondale). I don't have any preference on certain brand. Just looking for a good bike with component at least shimano 105 gear or Ultegar would be great and most important good long lasting frame as I might change the parts over the years.

A bit infomation about my self I'm 28/m/75kg/165cm. What frame size should I look now for road bike? (My MTB frame size was "S"). I knew with frame size sometimes it's depends on (leg, body, arms) lengths and so on but I'm just wondering, perhaps when it's come to ride a road bike the frame size might be different

Thank you so much in advance
Haris

I am in Perth, WA, and today had the Aus importer of Merida refer me to a Brisbane bike shop for some frame measurements.

These guys were so helpful, they measured a bike and rang me back in Perth with the details.

Now that deserves support, Morayfield Cycles on 07 5499 3655, thanks guys!!

Hi there,

I'm 72kg and 169cm tall and sit comfortably on a 53cm or medium size.

My Gitane is 53cm. I tried the Medium Giant OCR0 and it was the right size. Dads Learsport 8000 is a medium and fits me as well. Also the Felt in 54cm would be close to my size.

A bit further south, Sunrise Cycles in Ballina i believe is pretty good. I have a few friends who do group rides out of there and get all their stuff there.

Thank you so much guys for your help and for refereing me to some bike shop

wow gclark8 thank's for the info, I will give them a visit, perhaps next week coz I still have work that I have to do and I'll let you know

Thank's a lot smartie for all the information, at least roughly I knew which frame size I should get since our height not much in difference.

Regards,
Haris White

Absolutely agree with Dominic Sansom. Best bike shop in Bne has to be Velo at the grange. Grat service and the best mechanics around. The owner is Shayne Hendren. You will not be disappointed with their service or advice.

Johns Cycle Sport Centre in Nobby Beach, Gold Coast. One of the best bike shops I've ever been to. John is very knowledgable. Loads of kit to choose from - far better than a lot of shops from Europe.

ashura said:
Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I'm new here so nice to meet you all; I want to buy a road bike, could you guys please recommend me a good bike shop around those area above? (Brisbane/Gold Coast area)? I visited LBS near my suburb but their services is poor so don't want to buy/order bike from them. (I also have a car so I'm looking a good bike shop with good services and price :D)

I rode MTB, don't know much about road bike so please feel free to recommend me something also (My budget is around AUD$1800-2800).
I read this forum for 1 week and read a lot (Felt, Giant, Learsport, Cannondale). I don't have any preference on certain brand. Just looking for a good bike with component at least shimano 105 gear or Ultegar would be great and most important good long lasting frame as I might change the parts over the years.

A bit infomation about my self I'm 28/m/75kg/165cm. What frame size should I look now for road bike? (My MTB frame size was "S"). I knew with frame size sometimes it's depends on (leg, body, arms) lengths and so on but I'm just wondering, perhaps when it's come to ride a road bike the frame size might be different

Haris

I've been around the Brizzie biking for a while.
Experience as follows:
Riders cyclery - macgregor - poor service
victors old cleveland rd - good service
cycle city -cleveland- vgood - was a club member for many years. Ask for Mark.

hi

It is great to have both types of bikes, I have just bought a mtb Avanti Hammer and it took a while to find it.
Do your homework before you spend so much money, it should get you nice
wheels.
I recommend Planet Cycle ph 38919033 or John's Cycles at Gold Coast ph 55754177 this people are involved in road racing.
Get yourself sized up in a bike shop, 53cm frame could be good for your leg
hight but what about your arms lenght?
Try to customise all your parts and accessories first, it could be very expensive to do it later.

good luck mate

ashura said:
Hi Guys,

Haris

While shopping around for my latest pride and joy i had good experiences at Velo cycles ( excelent customer service just didnt have the frame i want) and Rad cyclelery at Shailer park, again brilliant customer service. When i order it will be through Rad cyclelery due to the amount of time they took with someone who was 'just looking' very good info and heaps of knowledge about bike fitment.

cheers
Mick
jack21 said:
hi

It is great to have both types of bikes, I have just bought a mtb Avanti Hammer and it took a while to find it.
Do your homework before you spend so much money, it should get you nice
wheels.
I recommend Planet Cycle ph 38919033 or John's Cycles at Gold Coast ph 55754177 this people are involved in road racing.
Get yourself sized up in a bike shop, 53cm frame could be good for your leg
hight but what about your arms lenght?
Try to customise all your parts and accessories first, it could be very expensive to do it later.

good luck mate

Velo is good if you need something that is hard to get. Shane will get on the phone or keep you up to date by email.
That dude at RAD is awsame, he must have done some custommer
service courses. His service is great. Make sure you ask for %10 discount.

John's Cyclesport in Nobby Beach, Goldcoast. John has about 4 lifetimes worth of knowledge. Has very nice hand made frames imported from Europe. Carrera, Pinarello, Bianchi. Custom made bikes, Professional Euro-fit. Also has some nice mass produced bikes like the Gitane. Having been a team mechanic and raced several years in Europe he knows what he's talking about.

Yes John is very good, the guy did fix my bike few times.:)
There is not many mechanics I would let touch my bikes.:rolleyes:
I only take my bikes to guys who use to work for cycling teams and now work from home building bikes and frames. It is great to see the work and learn as well. :)
jlance83 said:
John's Cyclesport in Nobby Beach, Goldcoast. John has about 4 lifetimes worth of knowledge. Has very nice hand made frames imported from Europe. Carrera, Pinarello, Bianchi. Custom made bikes, Professional Euro-fit. Also has some nice mass produced bikes like the Gitane. Having been a team mechanic and raced several years in Europe he knows what he's talking about.

ashura said:
Hi Guys,

Haris
Hubby & I just bought a couple of flat bar road bikes from Shane at Velo. This is our second purchase from Shane and he's great - very helpful and willing to spend the time with you.

Best shop definitely has to be John's on the gold coast. He has the largest range of italian brands and is willing to spend as much time necessary to ensure you get the right bike and position. Its well worth the drive from Bris if you are serious about getting a good road bike that is customised to fit your build, and the attention to detail is amazing.

Must say Velo at the Grange in Brisbane have a great set up there.Very professional and know what they are on about.Action Bikes @ Chermside in Brisbane are a Felt dealer and have just started getting in their new 2006 models.I'm about the same size as you and ride a 53.5.You may need a longer or shorter stem depending on your length up top.Most bike shops should change this for you at no extra cost.If you are looking at getting set up the correct way, Leon Vogal @ QLD Sports Medicine in Brisbane Ph:38912000 will do it for $130.It's worth doing if your going to be spending a bit of time in the saddle and to avoid any possible injuries.

Good Luck:)

tech.racer said:
I've been around the Brizzie biking for a while.
Experience as follows:
Riders cyclery - macgregor - poor service
victors old cleveland rd - good service
cycle city -cleveland- vgood - was a club member for many years. Ask for Mark.
Riders Cyclery

Is that what used to be Kessels Rd Cycles?

Scotty

Don't know too much about Goldcross, but the valley store in Brisbane is a cracka . Got a great deal and Jamie gave me real good service on a fuji SST.

One of the best bike shops I've ever been to. John is very knowledgable. Loads of kit to choose from - far better than a lot of shops from Europe.