Best/Cheapest speedometer

jflongo

Jan 25, 2010
I would like to buy a speedometer for the bike I just bought. I don't want to spend too much money, but would like one that works pretty well.

I didn't see a search feature on this forum, so sorry if this has been asked before.

jflongo said:
I would like to buy a speedometer for the bike I just bought. I don't want to spend too much money, but would like one that works pretty well.

I didn't see a search feature on this forum, so sorry if this has been asked before.

The question is how much is your budget. I think the Trek Incite 7i works just fine. I had one at one point of time, till I crashed my bike and tore out the wire of the computer. I have upgraded a lot more since then. I would recommend getting the Garmin FR60, for $100 it supplies a lot more information than just speed.

So basically we are down to the question. How much do you want to spend? and what are your requirements?

jflongo said:

In terms of basic-functionality cycling computers, Cateye makes some decent models, but there are several other decent brands with comparable functions and prices. You can look at any number of online bicycle stores to check out the various models, and get at least a rough idea of prices and choices.

A basic wireless unit will give you speed (current, plus usually max and average since the last reset) as well as basic stopwatch and timing functions.

The next step up adds a second sensor to tell you your cadence.

And then there are other advanced features like heart-rate (which requires you to wear a sensor), and related things like "power". Some moderately-priced units will also tell you approximate elevation/altitude, hill grade, etc.

The real high end units add GPS and/or mapping functions, etc.

My own computer is a pretty basic VDO unit (C3DS model) that has wireless speed and cadence, but no heart-rate, power, altitude, etc. I felt that knowing cadence was pretty useful.

I found it pretty cheap (used) on eBay - I think there are probably some pretty good deals in used ones, since these things usually don't fail - it is more that the owner bought something fancier.

kausbose said:
The question is how much is your budget. I think the Trek Incite 7i works just fine. I had one at one point of time, till I crashed my bike and tore out the wire of the computer. I have upgraded a lot more since then. I would recommend getting the Garmin FR60, for $100 it supplies a lot more information than just speed.

So basically we are down to the question. How much do you want to spend? and what are your requirements?

I really would like to spend under $40. I only paid $100 for my bike, so trying to keep the budget low for this first bike.

Walmart has cycle computers that are functional and cheap (less than $15). So do all of the standard online bike stores: bikenashbar.com, jensonusa.com, performancebike.com, pricepoint.com. Realize, at that low price, they do not have wireless or cadence.

Considering your $40 limit you might be able to get a wireless Trek Incite 8i. Better yet, hit eBay! or craigslist. You might find something used and cheap there. Right now for that money you are just looking for a computer that reads speed, distance and time.

Good luck

jflongo said:
I really would like to spend under $40. I only paid $100 for my bike, so trying to keep the budget low for this first bike.

Look at Sigma Sports wired models. I've had a couple and they are excellent, cheap, easy to use and provide good basic functions. If you stay under $40 it eliminates wireless, but honestly wired are perfectly fine and much lower maintanence.

Cateye Mity 8 should be $30 or less. It's wired, meaning only one battery which lasts a very long time. Dead simple and reliable to use....I've had one on my bike for 25K miles.

great solution paramount! that should do you just fine for the amount of money you are wanting to spend.

Good luck

PeterF said:
Look at Sigma Sports wired models.

+1

I have a Sigma BC906 on one of my bikes, it cost me $21, and I like it better than the $150 CatEye on my other bike.

jflongo said:
I decided to give this one a shot, I'll let everyone know how it goes, when the snow melts and I can try it.

VDO C2 DS Digital Wireless Cyclocomputer

PerformanceBike - Welcome!
I'll be interested to see how you make out. This cyclocomputer has pretty mixed reviews. Just don't forget about Performance's return policy if you don't like it.

Get a Cateye Velo 8 these speedos are very good value for money and also are idiot proff to operate.