General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Best Chicken (so say all)

Started by Michel Boucher · · Last activity · 9 posts · 451 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 January 2004
Last activity
12 January 2004
Original author
Michel Boucher
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
451
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Chicken breasts in peanut sauce

    3 chicken breasts halves, split lengthwise 1 medium to large red (bell) pepper
    1/2 cup smooth or chunky "only peanuts" peanut butter (do NOT use homogenized or pre-sweetened [censored]
    or I will hunt you down :-)) plus
    2/2 cup water, mixed 1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup or jaggery 1 heaping teaspoon
    Vietnamese garlic chili sauce 2 tsp. oil 1 largish onion, halved and sliced thin

    Heat oil in non-stick pot. Brown chicken lightly, remove and sauté onion until starting to
    caramelize. Return chicken and cover with the peanut butter, sugar and chili sauce. Bring to boil
    and let simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes. Check once for possible dryness at 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup
    water if needed. Add red peppers cut into 1 inch long strips. Finish simmering uncovered for 5
    minutes. Serve with rice. Or on rice. Or under rice.

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

  2. Michel Boucher said:

    1/2 cup smooth or chunky "only peanuts" peanut butter (do NOT use homogenized or pre-sweetened [censored]
    or I will hunt you down :-)) plus

    I wonder how hard it is to make the stuff using a stick-blender. I have a stick blender I don't use
    nearly enough, and a bag of shell-on goobers left over from baseball season.

    Quoted message said:

    1 heaping teaspoon Vietnamese garlic chili sauce

    There's your secret ingredient. Chili-garlic sauce is one of the great discoveries in all
    of cuisine.

    What is it that makes this one Vietnamese (as opposed to the generically Chinese versions like Lee
    Kum Kee brand?)

    --Blair "Fish sauce?"

  3. Quoted message said:

    Subject: Best Chicken (so say all)
    From: Michel Boucher [email hidden]
    Date: 1/4/2004 5:50 PM Mountain Standard Time
    Message-id: <[email hidden]>

    Chicken breasts in peanut sauce

    3 chicken breasts halves, split lengthwise 1 medium to large red (bell) pepper
    1/2 cup smooth or chunky "only peanuts" peanut butter (do NOT use homogenized or pre-sweetened [censored]
    or I will hunt you down :-)) plus
    1/2 cup water, mixed 1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup or jaggery 1 heaping teaspoon
    Vietnamese garlic chili sauce 2 tsp. oil 1 largish onion, halved and sliced thin

    Heat oil in non-stick pot. Brown chicken lightly, remove and sauté onion until starting to
    caramelize. Return chicken and cover with the peanut butter, sugar and chili sauce. Bring to boil
    and let simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes. Check once for possible dryness at 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup
    water if needed. Add red peppers cut into 1 inch long strips. Finish simmering uncovered for 5
    minutes. Serve with rice. Or on rice. Or under rice.

    --
    Michel, this sounds wonderful. I will try this very soon with the brown


    sugar, what is jaggery anyway > Thanks, Rosie

  4. Blair P. Houghton <[email hidden]> wrote in news:rN3Kb.3772227$be.591397
    @news.easynews.com:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1 heaping teaspoon Vietnamese garlic chili sauce

    There's your secret ingredient. Chili-garlic sauce is one of the great discoveries in all of
    cuisine.

    I use it in a lot of stuff.

    Quoted message said:

    What is it that makes this one Vietnamese (as opposed to the generically Chinese versions like Lee
    Kum Kee brand?)

    It's actually Californian, Huy Fong Foods, Inc. of Rosemeade CA (not Canada), the makers of
    Sriracha and Sambal Oelek. This is the most common brand here (maybe in fact the only brand) in
    Asian food stores.

    The product name is Túóng Ót Tói Viêt-Nam, a registered trademark.

    huyfong.comgarlic.htm

    Strangely enough the company does not refer to it by its registered trademark. A holdover from those
    Nam days? ;-)

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

  5. [email hidden] (RMiller) wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Chicken breasts in peanut sauce

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Michel, this sounds wonderful. I will try this very soon with the brown sugar, what is jaggery
    anyway Thanks, Rosie

    Indian sugar. Not as refined as white sugar. However, it can be replaced by brown or demerara sugar.

    Food Reference website says:

    Jaggery, Jaggary

    Jaggery or jaggary is an unrefined crude brown sugar obtained from the sap of the East Indian
    jaggery palm. Produced by boiling the sap of the palm, it is popular in India and Southeast Asia as
    a sweetener and ingredient in curries, especially vegetarian curries. Jaggery tastes somewhat like a
    winey dark brown sugar, and is shaped into balls, or solid cakes. Also known as ‘palm sugar.’

    Next time I go buy achar, I'll ask the merchant about jaggery.

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

  6. On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 02:15:51 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Michel Boucher said:

    1/2 cup smooth or chunky "only peanuts" peanut butter (do NOT use homogenized or pre-sweetened
    [censored] or I will hunt you down :-)) plus

    I wonder how hard it is to make the stuff using a stick-blender. I have a stick blender I don't
    use nearly enough, and a bag of shell-on goobers left over from baseball season.

    I haven't ever tried making peanut butter with a stick blender... but if there were just a few
    peanuts (maybe 1/4 C), I suppose it would work. If you have more, I suggest trying a blender - which
    I know works well. The seasoning is up to you.

    Quoted message said:

    Practice safe eating - always use condiments

  7. Michel Boucher said:

    Blair P. Houghton <[email hidden]> wrote in news:rN3Kb.3772227$be.591397 @news.easynews.com:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1 heaping teaspoon Vietnamese garlic chili sauce

    There's your secret ingredient. Chili-garlic sauce is one of the great discoveries in all of
    cuisine.

    I use it in a lot of stuff.

    Quoted message said:

    What is it that makes this one Vietnamese (as opposed to the generically Chinese versions like
    Lee Kum Kee brand?)

    It's actually Californian, Huy Fong Foods, Inc. of Rosemeade CA (not Canada), the makers of
    Sriracha and Sambal Oelek. This is the most common brand here (maybe in fact the only brand) in
    Asian food stores.

    One of the many sriracha threads to save typing in the whole thing:

    tinyurl.com2pptv

    Huy Fong is just one brand of sriracha, but theirs is the famous "rooster sauce".

    --Blair "What's a bland eggroll to do?"

  8. sf said:
    Blair P. Houghton said:
    Michel Boucher said:

    1/2 cup smooth or chunky "only peanuts" peanut butter (do NOT use homogenized or pre-sweetened
    [censored] or I will hunt you down :-)) plus

    I wonder how hard it is to make the stuff using a stick-blender. I have a stick blender I don't
    use nearly enough, and a bag of shell-on goobers left over from baseball season.

    I haven't ever tried making peanut butter with a stick blender... but if there were just a few
    peanuts (maybe 1/4 C), I suppose it would work. If you have more, I suggest trying a blender -
    which I know works well. The seasoning is up to you.

    what a great idea, never thought of making my own. I just bought a jar of either Adams or Laura
    Scudder's brand (no sugar, Michel, just peanuts, so please don't hunt me down!!) and paid nearly 4
    bucks at Albertsons. Ridiculous. Gonna give making my own a try.

    Lisette in Sacramento, California

  9. "Lisette" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 07:45:58 GMT, sf <[email hidden]> wrote:

    what a great idea, never thought of making my own. I just bought a jar of either Adams or Laura
    Scudder's brand (no sugar, Michel, just peanuts, so please don't hunt me down!!) and paid nearly 4
    bucks at Albertsons. Ridiculous. Gonna give making my own a try.

    We buy "peanuts only" PB from Trader Joe's for $2 for a regular-size jar. Pretty good stuff! In
    fact, we're almost out of PB.

    Just for kicks, though, I'll probably try to make some in the blender, too. I'll bet my kids would
    enjoy that.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.