rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Best clowning uni

Started by Klown · · Last activity · 9 posts · 434 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
14 July 2005
Last activity
17 July 2005
Original author
Klown
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
434
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just out of curiosity, what unicycle is best for clowning. Not really by
    stats, but by personal opinion. I'm trying to pick up clowning, but my
    freestyle uni with a KH seat really isnt cutting it. What would be the
    best choice for weaving in and out of people through a heavy crowd, but
    can still get some good speed. The uni I have now is more for freestyle,
    and my Coker is out of the question. 😄
    So let meh know. Thx!

    --
    Klown - It's not an excuse, it's a reason

    "He Arschloch! Erreichen Sie ein reales Fahrrad!" - ::Honk horn::
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Klown's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9117
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41886

  2. A good "funny" unicycle will look and move funny. Beyond that, it
    depends on your performing needs.

    Alexandre Frisch of the Moscow Circus used a 12" unicycle that fit into
    the prop suitcase he would bring onstage with him. That works for riding
    and is funny by virtue of its dimensions, but there isn't much you can
    do with it.

    Giraffes can be funny if you know what to do with them.

    For an all-around funny unicycle I would use an off-center wheel of 24"
    or 26", something silly for a seat (like a plastic hobby horse), and
    some bells and/or horns stuck on there.

    If you have more serious riding to do, leave the wheel centered but use
    long crank arms. Long cranks make your foot movement more exaggerated,
    and are more visual.

    --
    johnfoss - More Moab Fun

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41886

  3. I've done some clowning in the past. Actually, I bought my first
    unicycle, because I thought it would go great with a new clown character
    I wanted to create. Now, I'm enjoying the ride so much that I'm rapidly
    losing interest in clowning.

    Anyhow my thoughts on your question ...

    It depends on your character:

    An Auguste clown might ride really wide tire with a brightly painted
    yellow or orange fork. I saw a great one on a recent tread that linked
    to ebay. I think the guy making them was named "Al". I think that one
    was a 20in. This might even be a good use for some of the funky
    training wheel stuff or some kind of a custom uni with a tractor tire.

    A hobo/tramp clown could be on a black or silver uni with a shabby or
    patched seat cover; maybe an ultimate wheel -- you know, can't aford the
    seat.

    A white face could ride a sharp and distinctive uni with a special
    design on the paint job and a matching seat. I could see this in either
    a giraffe, a 29 or a 24 street uni.

    I agree with what John Foss said above. The props don't create the
    humor, but I would add that they can certain help portray the
    character.

    Be creative and have fun. I'd really like to hear and see pics of what
    you do.

    Donna

    --
    donna
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    donna's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10322
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41886

  4. A yellow jugglebug with a 16 inch wheel, or a blue jugglebug with a
    20inch wheel. The reason they are good is because they have like 6
    reallt thick plasitc spokes which are blue as well, or yelow depends
    what color uni you get. And yeah its just a very clowny looking
    unicycle for some reason.

    --
    MERCYME - Smooth Criminal

    RIP Johnny Smyth 1/22/89-6/7/05

    'Gallery' (gallery.unicyclist.com/danpics)

    AIM-Mr Mercy3
    MSN [email hidden]

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MERCYME's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9764
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41886

  5. I would use a mini giraffe but you can't really gain that much speed,
    but for clowning I'd imagine you'd want to mostly be idling.

    --
    unign
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unign's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10305
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41886

  6. In The complete Book Of Unicycling by Jack Wiley, there are some great
    photos of unis made of rings of beat up old boots. Kangaroos unis he
    also suggests, which can me made by modifying a cottered crank uni, I
    believe. He also suggests eccentric and mishapped wheel unis.

    The book just got a reprint and is available.

    --
    podzol - Bogophile
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41886

  7. podzol said:

    *In The complete Book Of Unicycling by Jack Wiley, there are some
    great photos of unis made of rings of beat up old boots. Kangaroos
    unis he also suggests, which can me made by modifying a cottered crank
    uni, I believe. He also suggests eccentric and mishapped wheel unis.

    The book just got a reprint and is available. *


    I dont remember reading about that in there.

    --
    Klown - It's not an excuse, it's a reason

    "He Arschloch! Erreichen Sie ein reales Fahrrad!" - ::Honk horn::
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Klown's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9117
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41886

  8. [quote="johnfoss"][B]

    For an all-around funny unicycle I would use ...something silly for a
    seat (like a plastic hobby horse)[/quote]


    [image: http://falcon.jmu.edu/~tollkukx/Skippii/Horsie1.jpg]


    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41886

  9. or
    http://tinyurl.com/8jf2g
    from tcuc

    --
    Seager - that one guy who does that stuff

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41886

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.