Best compliance - rear shock, choice?

Scott

Guest
I bought a used Weyless FS bike that is essentially a clone of the
Santa Cruise Heckler design, with elevated stays and a straight lever
to the shock. It came with a fox float (RL?) that has switchable
lockout, mid lockout and open, as well as rebound dampening.
Everything seems to be working as it should, there is no air leaking
or oil leaking, and the dampening works.

Problem is, I expected a plusher ride. I know air, even those that
have negative air like this shock, is not going to be as plush as
coil, but it seems like I never get near the 5" of travel this bike is
supposed to be capable of - although it does work. As an older rider,
I'd like it tuned to give plush ride over like tree roots and stones
vs not bottoming after some big drop. Set at the recommended 1/4"
sag, it seems pretty rough riding.

I have lubed all the bushings and all of that.

Any recommendations on if a different shock /spring would provide what
I'm looking for, or is my shock just not working as good as it
should? I may try using more sag from lower pressure, see what that
does.

The front fork, a Bomber Marathon S also needs work, but I'm going to
change the fluid out on it. Had a lot of pressure from a guy who
liked to do some drops.

On Aug 23, 12:50 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> I bought a used Weyless FS bike that is essentially a clone of the
> Santa Cruise Heckler design, with elevated stays and a straight lever
> to the shock. It came with a fox float (RL?) that has switchable
> lockout, mid lockout and open, as well as rebound dampening.
> Everything seems to be working as it should, there is no air leaking
> or oil leaking, and the dampening works.
>
> Problem is, I expected a plusher ride. I know air, even those that
> have negative air like this shock, is not going to be as plush as
> coil, but it seems like I never get near the 5" of travel this bike is
> supposed to be capable of - although it does work. As an older rider,
> I'd like it tuned to give plush ride over like tree roots and stones
> vs not bottoming after some big drop. Set at the recommended 1/4"
> sag, it seems pretty rough riding.
>
> I have lubed all the bushings and all of that.
>
> Any recommendations on if a different shock /spring would provide what
> I'm looking for, or is my shock just not working as good as it
> should? I may try using more sag from lower pressure, see what that
> does.
>
> The front fork, a Bomber Marathon S also needs work, but I'm going to
> change the fluid out on it. Had a lot of pressure from a guy who
> liked to do some drops.

Send it here: http://www.pushindustries.com/

Chris

On Aug 23, 12:00 pm, Chris Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 23, 12:50 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I bought a used Weyless FS bike that is essentially a clone of the
> > Santa Cruise Heckler design, with elevated stays and a straight lever
> > to the shock. It came with a fox float (RL?) that has switchable
> > lockout, mid lockout and open, as well as rebound dampening.
> > Everything seems to be working as it should, there is no air leaking
> > or oil leaking, and the dampening works.

> > Problem is, I expected a plusher ride. I know air, even those that
> > have negative air like this shock, is not going to be as plush as
> > coil, but it seems like I never get near the 5" of travel this bike is
> > supposed to be capable of - although it does work. As an older rider,
> > I'd like it tuned to give plush ride over like tree roots and stones
> > vs not bottoming after some big drop. Set at the recommended 1/4"
> > sag, it seems pretty rough riding.

> > I have lubed all the bushings and all of that.

> > Any recommendations on if a different shock /spring would provide what
> > I'm looking for, or is my shock just not working as good as it
> > should? I may try using more sag from lower pressure, see what that
> > does.

> > The front fork, a Bomber Marathon S also needs work, but I'm going to
> > change the fluid out on it. Had a lot of pressure from a guy who
> > liked to do some drops.

> Send it here:http://www.pushindustries.com/
>
> Chris- Hide quoted text -

Appreciate your feedback.

I had heard that before, but its fairly expensive, I wanted to see if
I was pouring money down the drain.

My bike was ridden hard and put away wet before I bought it cheap.
This shock could last a long time or fail today, hard to say. I've
overhauled everything else except fork and shock.

A lot of folks have recommended the Cane Creek Cloud 9 setup as more
durable and better riding, have heard of a lot of leakage problems
with Fox, although I have not had that experience myself. Even the
Push web site says they sell an expanded air chamber for the shock if
you are not getting full travel with it, as the air provides a rising
rate spring from what I can tell.

The bike has a very nice pivot placement that seems to enhance hill
climbing and I have not had issues with bobing, and if I'm climbing a
long time I can flip the switch - so the pro pedal system sounds
interesting but not sure of the use I'd give it. In my part of texas
our hills are small, so I just leave the thing on full squish.

I was thinking a coil setup might be really sweet, but I know there is
a slight weight penalty. Right now it weighs 33 lbs with some
outragously heavy wheels and huge tires on it, I am not sure but I
would not be surprised to find they have slime in them.

anyway, just pondering what to do. I guess I'll try dropping the air
pressure and see what that does before I go further.

On Aug 23, 11:37 am, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 23, 12:00 pm, Chris Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 23, 12:50 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I bought a used Weyless FS bike that is essentially a clone of the
> > > Santa Cruise Heckler design, with elevated stays and a straight lever
> > > to the shock. It came with a fox float (RL?) that has switchable
> > > lockout, mid lockout and open, as well as rebound dampening.
> > > Everything seems to be working as it should, there is no air leaking
> > > or oil leaking, and the dampening works.

> > > Problem is, I expected a plusher ride. I know air, even those that
> > > have negative air like this shock, is not going to be as plush as
> > > coil, but it seems like I never get near the 5" of travel this bike is
> > > supposed to be capable of - although it does work. As an older rider,
> > > I'd like it tuned to give plush ride over like tree roots and stones
> > > vs not bottoming after some big drop. Set at the recommended 1/4"
> > > sag, it seems pretty rough riding.

> > > I have lubed all the bushings and all of that.

> > > Any recommendations on if a different shock /spring would provide what
> > > I'm looking for, or is my shock just not working as good as it
> > > should? I may try using more sag from lower pressure, see what that
> > > does.

> > > The front fork, a Bomber Marathon S also needs work, but I'm going to
> > > change the fluid out on it. Had a lot of pressure from a guy who
> > > liked to do some drops.

> > Send it here:http://www.pushindustries.com/

> > Chris- Hide quoted text -

> Appreciate your feedback.
>
> I had heard that before, but its fairly expensive, I wanted to see if
> I was pouring money down the drain.
>
> My bike was ridden hard and put away wet before I bought it cheap.
> This shock could last a long time or fail today, hard to say. I've
> overhauled everything else except fork and shock.
>
> A lot of folks have recommended the Cane Creek Cloud 9 setup as more
> durable and better riding, have heard of a lot of leakage problems
> with Fox, although I have not had that experience myself. Even the
> Push web site says they sell an expanded air chamber for the shock if
> you are not getting full travel with it, as the air provides a rising
> rate spring from what I can tell.
>

> The bike has a very nice pivot placement that seems to enhance hill
> climbing and I have not had issues with bobing, and if I'm climbing a
> long time I can flip the switch - so the pro pedal system sounds
> interesting but not sure of the use I'd give it. In my part of texas
> our hills are small, so I just leave the thing on full squish.
>
> I was thinking a coil setup might be really sweet, but I know there is
> a slight weight penalty. Right now it weighs 33 lbs with some
> outragously heavy wheels and huge tires on it, I am not sure but I
> would not be surprised to find they have slime in them.
>
> anyway, just pondering what to do. I guess I'll try dropping the air
> pressure and see what that does before I go further.

You could try lowering the air pressure a little at a time to get the
ride you want with out bobbing, you could also try picking up a used
SID rear shock that you can adjust the negative pressure on. I run
that on my NRS and it makes it ride much nicer.

On Aug 23, 9:50 am, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> vs not bottoming after some big drop. Set at the recommended 1/4"
> sag, it seems pretty rough riding.

You may have misread the instructions. Generally bikes should be set
up with the sag set at 1/4 of the entire travel, not 1/4 inch! Unless
you have a one inch travel shock (possible), you need more sag.

On Aug 23, 1:37 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 23, 12:00 pm, Chris Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 23, 12:50 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I bought a used Weyless FS bike that is essentially a clone of the
> > > Santa Cruise Heckler design, with elevated stays and a straight lever
> > > to the shock. It came with a fox float (RL?) that has switchable
> > > lockout, mid lockout and open, as well as rebound dampening.
> > > Everything seems to be working as it should, there is no air leaking
> > > or oil leaking, and the dampening works.

> > > Problem is, I expected a plusher ride. I know air, even those that
> > > have negative air like this shock, is not going to be as plush as
> > > coil, but it seems like I never get near the 5" of travel this bike is
> > > supposed to be capable of - although it does work. As an older rider,
> > > I'd like it tuned to give plush ride over like tree roots and stones
> > > vs not bottoming after some big drop. Set at the recommended 1/4"
> > > sag, it seems pretty rough riding.

> > > I have lubed all the bushings and all of that.

> > > Any recommendations on if a different shock /spring would provide what
> > > I'm looking for, or is my shock just not working as good as it
> > > should? I may try using more sag from lower pressure, see what that
> > > does.

> > > The front fork, a Bomber Marathon S also needs work, but I'm going to
> > > change the fluid out on it. Had a lot of pressure from a guy who
> > > liked to do some drops.

> > Send it here:http://www.pushindustries.com/

> > Chris- Hide quoted text -

> Appreciate your feedback.
>
> I had heard that before, but its fairly expensive, I wanted to see if
> I was pouring money down the drain.
>
> My bike was ridden hard and put away wet before I bought it cheap.
> This shock could last a long time or fail today, hard to say. I've
> overhauled everything else except fork and shock.
>
> A lot of folks have recommended the Cane Creek Cloud 9 setup as more
> durable and better riding, have heard of a lot of leakage problems
> with Fox, although I have not had that experience myself. Even the
> Push web site says they sell an expanded air chamber for the shock if
> you are not getting full travel with it, as the air provides a rising
> rate spring from what I can tell.
>
> The bike has a very nice pivot placement that seems to enhance hill
> climbing and I have not had issues with bobing, and if I'm climbing a
> long time I can flip the switch - so the pro pedal system sounds
> interesting but not sure of the use I'd give it. In my part of texas
> our hills are small, so I just leave the thing on full squish.
>
> I was thinking a coil setup might be really sweet, but I know there is
> a slight weight penalty. Right now it weighs 33 lbs with some
> outragously heavy wheels and huge tires on it, I am not sure but I
> would not be surprised to find they have slime in them.
>
> anyway, just pondering what to do. I guess I'll try dropping the air
> pressure and see what that does before I go further.- Hide quoted text -

Push ain't cheap, but cheaper than a new shock. You can do basic
service yourself using the instructions on the Fox website, but
eventually it will need a nitrogen charge which you should let Push do
for you. Whatever you do, don't send it to Fox.

Are you sure the sag should be 1/4" ? Let a little air out at a time
and ride. If you have an 0-ring on the shaft you can see how much
travel you are using but be careful of letting out too much air as the
shock could get stuck down

Fox forks have a reputation for leaking, but their shocks do not.

For instructions on how to overhaul your Bomber, go here:
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id27.html

Chris

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:50:31 -0000, Scott <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Any recommendations on if a different shock /spring would provide what
>I'm looking for, or is my shock just not working as good as it
>should? I may try using more sag from lower pressure, see what that
>does.
>
>The front fork, a Bomber Marathon S also needs work, but I'm going to
>change the fluid out on it. Had a lot of pressure from a guy who
>liked to do some drops.

Given your description of how you ride, and assuming adjustments don't
get an acceptable ride, I would suggest a coil set-up. Air shocks are
just generally a bad deal all around.

On Aug 24, 7:47 am, Bob Quindazzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:50:31 -0000, Scott <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >Any recommendations on if a different shock /spring would provide what
> >I'm looking for, or is my shock just not working as good as it
> >should? I may try using more sag from lower pressure, see what that
> >does.

> >The front fork, a Bomber Marathon S also needs work, but I'm going to
> >change the fluid out on it. Had a lot of pressure from a guy who
> >liked to do some drops.

> Given your description of how you ride, and assuming adjustments don't
> get an acceptable ride, I would suggest a coil set-up. Air shocks are
> just generally a bad deal all around.

Thanks for all the input. I was measuring the sag via the oring as
described in the fox manual
http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/04_RearShocks_en.pdf
on page 8, it shows sag as being 9.5 mm, or nearly 1 Cm - .38" ( I was
speaking generally not specifically when I mentioned 1/4"). Setup
this way, it seemed stiff.

Funny thing was, I had read about the negative air chamber and how it
can become unbalanced, and perhaps that was the case too, as I did
notice a huge increase in compliance in the last few weeks all of a
sudden, although its still not what I'd consider plush it does take a
lot of edge off bumps.

I'll try more sag folks and see what that does. Thanks for the link
on the Bomber fork.

Scott

On Aug 24, 12:50 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 7:47 am, Bob Quindazzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:50:31 -0000, Scott <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > >Any recommendations on if a different shock /spring would provide what
> > >I'm looking for, or is my shock just not working as good as it
> > >should? I may try using more sag from lower pressure, see what that
> > >does.

> > >The front fork, a Bomber Marathon S also needs work, but I'm going to
> > >change the fluid out on it. Had a lot of pressure from a guy who
> > >liked to do some drops.

> > Given your description of how you ride, and assuming adjustments don't
> > get an acceptable ride, I would suggest a coil set-up. Air shocks are
> > just generally a bad deal all around.

> Thanks for all the input. I was measuring the sag via the oring as
> described in the fox manualhttp://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/04_RearSh...
> on page 8, it shows sag as being 9.5 mm, or nearly 1 Cm - .38" ( I was
> speaking generally not specifically when I mentioned 1/4"). Setup
> this way, it seemed stiff.
>
> Funny thing was, I had read about the negative air chamber and how it
> can become unbalanced, and perhaps that was the case too, as I did
> notice a huge increase in compliance in the last few weeks all of a
> sudden, although its still not what I'd consider plush it does take a
> lot of edge off bumps.
>
> I'll try more sag folks and see what that does. Thanks for the link
> on the Bomber fork.
>
> Scott- Hide quoted text -

Page 12 on that Fox manual link shows how to do air sleeve
maintainance. Use sae90 oil in place of Fox oil. Don't need a vice
either as you can start to unscrew the cannister while its still on
the bike, kinda like taking an oil filter off a car. Just be sure to
let all the air out of it first. Should take less than an hour to
complete. Should be nice and juicy in there. If its dry or dirty in
there, it could be the root of your problem. I have the same shock and
it rides like butter when operating correctly.

Chris

On Aug 24, 12:41 pm, Chris Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 12:50 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 24, 7:47 am, Bob Quindazzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Given your description of how you ride, and assuming adjustments don't
> > > get an acceptable ride, I would suggest a coil set-up. Air shocks are
> > > just generally a bad deal all around.

> > Thanks for all the input. I was measuring the sag via the oring as
> > described in the fox manualhttp://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/04_RearSh...
> > on page 8, it shows sag as being 9.5 mm, or nearly 1 Cm - .38" ( I was
> > speaking generally not specifically when I mentioned 1/4"). Setup
> > this way, it seemed stiff.

> > Funny thing was, I had read about the negative air chamber and how it
> > can become unbalanced, and perhaps that was the case too, as I did
> > notice a huge increase in compliance in the last few weeks all of a
> > sudden, although its still not what I'd consider plush it does take a
> > lot of edge off bumps.

> > I'll try more sag folks and see what that does. Thanks for the link
> > on the Bomber fork.

> > Scott- Hide quoted text -

> Page 12 on that Fox manual link shows how to do air sleeve
> maintainance. Use sae90 oil in place of Fox oil. Don't need a vice
> either as you can start to unscrew the cannister while its still on
> the bike, kinda like taking an oil filter off a car. Just be sure to
> let all the air out of it first. Should take less than an hour to
> complete. Should be nice and juicy in there. If its dry or dirty in
> there, it could be the root of your problem. I have the same shock and
> it rides like butter when operating correctly.
>
> Chris- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I'll try that! Look like you just lube the body seal and
bearing with 90 weight or some lithium grease as shown in the
diagram? I don't see mention of actually having any fluid (such as
90w) in the air chamber. I have some very good grease for this.

On Aug 24, 5:21 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 12:41 pm, Chris Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Thanks for all the input. I was measuring the sag via the oring as
> > > described in the fox manualhttp://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/04_RearSh...
> > > on page 8, it shows sag as being 9.5 mm, or nearly 1 Cm - .38" ( I was
> > > speaking generally not specifically when I mentioned 1/4"). Setup
> > > this way, it seemed stiff.

> > > Funny thing was, I had read about the negative air chamber and how it
> > > can become unbalanced, and perhaps that was the case too, as I did
> > > notice a huge increase in compliance in the last few weeks all of a
> > > sudden, although its still not what I'd consider plush it does take a
> > > lot of edge off bumps.

> > > I'll try more sag folks and see what that does. Thanks for the link
> > > on the Bomber fork.

> > > Scott- Hide quoted text -

> > Page 12 on that Fox manual link shows how to do air sleeve
> > maintainance. Use sae90 oil in place of Fox oil. Don't need a vice
> > either as you can start to unscrew the cannister while its still on
> > the bike, kinda like taking an oil filter off a car. Just be sure to
> > let all the air out of it first. Should take less than an hour to
> > complete. Should be nice and juicy in there. If its dry or dirty in
> > there, it could be the root of your problem. I have the same shock and
> > it rides like butter when operating correctly.

> > Chris- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks, I'll try that! Look like you just lube the body seal and
> bearing with 90 weight or some lithium grease as shown in the
> diagram? I don't see mention of actually having any fluid (such as
> 90w) in the air chamber. I have some very good grease for this.

I did the lube, it was not "dry" inside and seemed fairly well
greased, but I cleaned and use liberal good lithum grease,
reassembled. Basically works as before. I think one problem is the
small air chamber makes the air spring ramp up its stiffness quite a
bit as it compresses. tried various air pressures. Less pressure
just increases sag, the feel is the same. I spent a good deal of time
going over some roots to play with it, and if the shock is extended
(decompressed) before hitting something, it does indeed feel silky
smooth, but if you say have your weight on the seat and hit a tree
root, you'll really feel it and it seems less than 1/2 the impact is
diffused by the travel of the rear wheel. Granted nothing is
perfect. I need to ride someone else's ride with similar shock and
see if I'm realistic or not, or if this thing has too much compression
dampening for my taste. I've played with the rebound dampening, and
made sure the on-off lever is on full squish.

wondering if I can make an experimental thing to increase air volume
and thus make the air spring more linear, like something to screw on
the schrader value with like a C02 container to add volume, have to
think about it.
I'll ride it for now with less pressure

On Aug 26, 5:39 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 5:21 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Page 12 on that Fox manual link shows how to do air sleeve
> > > maintainance. Use sae90 oil in place of Fox oil. Don't need a vice
> > > either as you can start to unscrew the cannister while its still on
> > > the bike, kinda like taking an oil filter off a car. Just be sure to
> > > let all the air out of it first. Should take less than an hour to
> > > complete. Should be nice and juicy in there. If its dry or dirty in
> > > there, it could be the root of your problem. I have the same shock and
> > > it rides like butter when operating correctly.

> > > Chris- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks, I'll try that! Look like you just lube the body seal and
> > bearing with 90 weight or some lithium grease as shown in the
> > diagram? I don't see mention of actually having any fluid (such as
> > 90w) in the air chamber. I have some very good grease for this.

> I did the lube, it was not "dry" inside and seemed fairly well
> greased, but I cleaned and use liberal good lithum grease,
> reassembled. Basically works as before. I think one problem is the
> small air chamber makes the air spring ramp up its stiffness quite a
> bit as it compresses. tried various air pressures. Less pressure
> just increases sag, the feel is the same. I spent a good deal of time
> going over some roots to play with it, and if the shock is extended
> (decompressed) before hitting something, it does indeed feel silky
> smooth, but if you say have your weight on the seat and hit a tree
> root, you'll really feel it and it seems less than 1/2 the impact is
> diffused by the travel of the rear wheel. Granted nothing is
> perfect. I need to ride someone else's ride with similar shock and
> see if I'm realistic or not, or if this thing has too much compression
> dampening for my taste. I've played with the rebound dampening, and
> made sure the on-off lever is on full squish.
>
> wondering if I can make an experimental thing to increase air volume
> and thus make the air spring more linear, like something to screw on
> the schrader value with like a C02 container to add volume, have to
> think about it.
> I'll ride it for now with less pressure- Hide quoted text -

Sounds broke. Have it "PUSHed" or buy a new one.

Not sure how linear will help you, progressive will give you better
action over roots IMO.

Chris

On Aug 27, 6:10 am, Chris Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 5:39 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Thanks, I'll try that! Look like you just lube the body seal and
> > > bearing with 90 weight or some lithium grease as shown in the
> > > diagram? I don't see mention of actually having any fluid (such as
> > > 90w) in the air chamber. I have some very good grease for this.

> > I did the lube, it was not "dry" inside and seemed fairly well
> > greased, but I cleaned and use liberal good lithum grease,
> > reassembled. Basically works as before. I think one problem is the
> > small air chamber makes the air spring ramp up its stiffness quite a
> > bit as it compresses. tried various air pressures. Less pressure
> > just increases sag, the feel is the same. I spent a good deal of time
> > going over some roots to play with it, and if the shock is extended
> > (decompressed) before hitting something, it does indeed feel silky
> > smooth, but if you say have your weight on the seat and hit a tree
> > root, you'll really feel it and it seems less than 1/2 the impact is
> > diffused by the travel of the rear wheel. Granted nothing is
> > perfect. I need to ride someone else's ride with similar shock and
> > see if I'm realistic or not, or if this thing has too much compression
> > dampening for my taste. I've played with the rebound dampening, and
> > made sure the on-off lever is on full squish.

> > wondering if I can make an experimental thing to increase air volume
> > and thus make the air spring more linear, like something to screw on
> > the schrader value with like a C02 container to add volume, have to
> > think about it.
> > I'll ride it for now with less pressure- Hide quoted text -

> Sounds broke. Have it "PUSHed" or buy a new one.
>
> Not sure how linear will help you, progressive will give you better
> action over roots IMO.
>
> Chris

I saw an offer for a "trade in" for a Cane Creek AD12 for $175 that
has both compression and release dampening adjustments, has gotten
very good ratings, push wanted $150 to rebuild my old shock - and I'm
not sure if it won't act the same way when its done. Thinking of
selling the Fox after trying the AD12, or the AD12 if the fox turns
out to be better. I can get some POS shock of a roadmaster or
something somewhere to "trade in". Actually the offer is for their
top end shock, and only the AD12 if the other is not available, but
I'm going to ask about it. www.canecreek.com